0901 numbers on talk talk bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello just got my talk talk bill in today and noticed that there is an 0901 number on it 44 times, at a cost of 20p a time. I contacted talk talk and they have said that the number WAS dialled from my phone, so i tried phoning the number to see what it was, all you get is half a ring tone then a high pitched noise.

The number is 09017675091, and it is called SERVICES F on the bill. Has anyone else had this problem and how do i sort it out?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not using broadband to connect to the internet, ie you are using dialup, you could have unknowingly installed a 'roque-dialler' which work in various ways.

One trick is to change your internet dialup number to a premium rate number which still gives you access (so you are unaware of a problem) but connects you at a premium rate.

If you do have broadband make sure you have disconnected any old dial-up modem from your PC.

Check out > for more info.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello just got my talk talk bill in today and noticed that there is an 0901 number on it 44 times, at a cost of 20p a time. I contacted talk talk and they have said that the number WAS dialled from my phone, so i tried phoning the number to see what it was, all you get is half a ring tone then a high pitched noise.

The number is 09017675091, and it is called SERVICES F on the bill. Has anyone else had this problem and how do i sort it out?

We have also had this problem with the exact same 0901 phone number. Came on phone bill 121 times at the cost of 17p per call. These calls were made when no one was home to do these calls. We also tried calling the number with the exact same response as you. THUS wont give anhy information out regarding the number. Has anyone been able to solve this since you posted message?

Simple answer - call the police. I had this, before I went to TalkTalk, and BT refused to help even when I said that noone was home when the calls were made and that my Sky box was the only other thing with a dialler and it was disconnected.

If you get this response in letters, then call the police and tell them you believe that someone is illegally tapping into your line. Write and tell your telephone provider you have done this.

I get items on my talk talk bill which says Service [it doesn't show a number tho] and it's for me setting up a reminder/alarm call every morning. No-one in your household has been setting this up have they? The bill shows the time the alarm call comes through, not the time that it was set up therefore, technically,no one actually has to be at home at the time the call shows on the bill.

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

You can also get Trojan Dialler virus's on your computer that will automatically dial up through your modem. If you are on dial up as opposed to Broadband, this could also be the problem. If it is this, then you do still need to pay the bill, but report it to the Police (? not sure, your call provider perhaps, or i think there may be a regulatory body dealing with these things .... the Police should know) and they will investigate. Eventually you may get your money back.

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

with regards to the 09017675091 number on your bill, you wouldn't all happen to have amstrad e-mail diallers would you? I know that this seems to be the the number that the amserve diallers use to check if you have any e-mails. I think by default they can do this every 6 hours a day. I must admit I'm not a great fan of these as they can rack up quite a hefty bill, almost £1.00 per day, even if you're not picking up or sending e-mails.

cheers

My computer's not even connected to my 'phone line... LOL

I think you misunderstand. The particular phone number that people are talking about (09017675091) is the same number that amstrads e-mailer automatically uses to check for e-mails. It's got absolutely nothing to do with computers.

The number was changed in March I think and so this will probably be the first time that people will start to see the new number appear on their phone bills. It used to cost about 13p per call and now I think it's about 17p.

The 09017675091 number isn't a rogue dialler, it's something that anyone using an amstrad dialler will have agreed to use.

cheers

I think you misunderstand. The particular phone number that people are talking about (09017675091) is the same number that amstrads e-mailer automatically uses to check for e-mails. It's got absolutely nothing to do with computers.

The number was changed in March I think and so this will probably be the first time that people will start to see the new number appear on their phone bills. It used to cost about 13p per call and now I think it's about 17p.

The 09017675091 number isn't a rogue dialler, it's something that anyone using an amstrad dialler will have agreed to use.

cheers

Ahh - gotcha.

Well, I don't have one of THOSE nasty things either. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem a few years ago.

If you contact BT, or whoever is your phone provider, you can have your phone line blocked to stop any premium rate numbers being dialled.It is free to have put on.

Not really much good though if you enter a lot of these competitions on the TV, etc.,that use these numbers, but as I dont enter these, then I have the facility on my phone line.

Buzz

• 2 months later...

I wonder if these people are getting greedy. On my Talk Talk bill for August there are 40 calls to 09016565999 all made within the space of 9 minutes at 51p a call to services F. it would be a physical immpossibility to make so many calls.I complained to Talk Talk,they said it was BTs problem as I rent the line off them, BT did'nt want to know. I complained again to Talk Talk and they eventually said they would investigate it, that was 2 weeks ago, I rang again last week they said they were still investigating. I shall contact them again tomorrow,but I don't expect anything will have changed.

Has anyone any suggestions as to my next line of action

I wonder if these people are getting greedy. On my Talk Talk bill for August there are 40 calls to 09016565999 all made within the space of 9 minutes at 51p a call to services F. it would be a physical immpossibility to make so many calls.I complained to Talk Talk,they said it was BTs problem as I rent the line off them, BT did'nt want to know. I complained again to Talk Talk and they eventually said they would investigate it, that was 2 weeks ago, I rang again last week they said they were still investigating. I shall contact them again tomorrow,but I don't expect anything will have changed.

Has anyone any suggestions as to my next line of action

Like you I have the same problem only with an NTL line £43 + VAT for 0901 numbers in the space of about 15 minutes at 1.00am in the morning :o. I contacted them and after grumbling no end of times they eventually sent an engineer out to check the line - never came into the house went to the junction box was there for about three minutes and said everything was fine!!! He then said perhaps it would be a good idea to bar 0901 numbers ( I live mostly on my own who am I barring them from!!!) as there was nothing wrong with the line.

I despair, I spoke to someone different again today, how many times can I be told the line's been checked and perhaps it would be an idea to put call barring on the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the next statement then was "Thing is Mrs .... if you don't pay the bill we'll have to disconnect your services", I've paid the G** damn bill what I want to know is who do I complain to about this because NT(h)ell like BT do not want to know?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread, hope you don't mind, I will start another of my own regarding this:mad:

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

I have just been on to Talk Talk again this morning and as I suspected they are adamant that the calls have been made from my telephone to a game show called Pop the Question ( never heard of the damn thing ) I have told them that I am going to contact my local newspaper to see if they would print an article about this problem and ask other Talk Talk customers to check there bills

Sure its not a game show called Talk Talk taking the P**S ?

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

I have just been on to Talk Talk again this morning and as I suspected they are adamant that the calls have been made from my telephone to a game show called Pop the Question ( never heard of the damn thing ) I have told them that I am going to contact my local newspaper to see if they would print an article about this problem and ask other Talk Talk customers to check there bills

When I had some of these I told them I was going to, and then called, the police. A refund letter arrived a week later.

Tonights watchdog is investigating Talk Talk.

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

• 2 months later...

Folks, I have had the same 0901 rogue numbers on my TALK TALK bill.

The consensus at work is that these are dialled by my SKY + box (when my missus enteres competitions, voting interactively etc). I shall be removing the phone line from my SKY + box and will see if this makes a difference..

And as a reminder for anyone with a telephone kine and who does;nr want to have Premium Rate numbers dialled from their phone line, call your network Customer Services and say that you require Premium Rate Call Barring (BT provide this FoC), others may charge a fee. After this, any calls mate to 09xxx numbers can be disputed.

• 2 months later...

My friend had an Amstrad Emailer (Em@iler). It looks like a mini computer or very high tech phone, having a screen, keyboard, also a telephone hand set. It was dialling 09017675091 and putting another £6 per month on her phone bill. She hasn’t used it for a while for e-mail and was surprised it was still charging her for email. We have reconfigured the phone and it has stopped polling out for email saving her £72 per year. For more details read my website at Reviews on premium rate text services originating from the web regards Stephney

This was the primary reason why Amstrad's Em@ailer was such a dreadful contraption - but then this is no different than Sky's Digibox which similarly requires a telephone connection and can run up bills to premium rated numbers. The easiest solution, get your phone company to prohibit all 09x Premium Rate numbers - it's worth it in the long run.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

This is only my 3rd month with Talk Talk. Like many others, I switched from BT because I wanted a cheaper system. My bills with Talk Talk have been higher than I had thought they would be. Until now, I was unable to acess my online bill, and tonight, when I did, I got a shock.

......£10 of this months bill are calls to 09017675091.

I immediately wondered if it had anything to do with the Amstrad emailer phone. It is not set up for emails, but constantly runs really annoying ads on its screen. I have just switched phones in the hope that the rogue number calls will stop.....

Will just detatching the emailer phone solve the problem for me...?

Any and all advice much appreciated...

Zep

Many thanks for the fast reply, Busby!

I feel a bit more relaxed now knowing that the problem should be solved.

Shame about the Amstrad phone really, but it does seem to have a short lifespan unless Amstrad change things. I liked that wee phone....I picked it up cheap at a car boot sale, and wondered why it was so cheap..now I know.

Oh well, we live and learn...!

Many thanks, Busby!

Best Regards, Zep.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks