• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Stormbringer vs NatWest ###won###

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

2 March, 2007 - Sent letter to my branch requesting statements of the past 6 years. Did not send payment to cover the cost.

30 March, 2007 - Received statements in the post. No charge debited from my account (yet).

I am getting ready to submit the schedule of claim for charges. I have been able to list all the charges (i.e. referral charge, unarranged borrowing, charges for unpaid items, etc). These charges amount to £696.

However, I have spent the last several hours reading the FAQs and different threads and I am still confused about calculating the overdraft interest amount. My statements have a monthly charge titled INTEREST and it varies. I know I can only claim the interest charged when I was in an unauthorized overdraft. The interest is one monthly sum. How do I break it down so I know the amount to claim for those months when I was in unauthorized overdraft? Can someone explain how to calculate this?

I am confused at what the term INTEREST refers to. I have downloaded Mindzai's spreadsheet but I am still unsure if the interest I wish to claim is compound interest or the 8%?? Or is this something else entirely?

EXAMPLE:

My statement of April 2001 reads:

YOUR INTEREST RATE FOR BORROWING UP TO £1,550 ON THIS ACCOUNT IS 14.99% PA. THIS IS YOUR CREDIT ZONE RATE. SHOULD YOUR OVERDRAFT EXCEED THIS LEVEL THE EXCESS WILL BE CHARGED AT OUR UNARRANGED BORROWING RATE, CURRENTLY 29.5% PA. YOUR CREDIT INTEREST RATE IS 0.25% GROSS PA.

THE FOLLOWING CHARGES/INTEREST FOR 5 MAR 2001 TO 1 APR 2001 WILL BE APPLIED TO THIS ACCOUNT ON 30 APR 2001.

DEBIT INTEREST: £11.60

This is confusing to me (the non-mathematically minded) so I was considering not claiming any charges for overdraft interest. Is this wise?

I would appreciate any help... and sorry if this has been asked before (I really did check everything I could before I posted this question).

HI, there is a debate on trying to recover interest, in my opinion it is a lot of fuss and perhaps people should be content to get the charges back and should it go to court the 8% also.

You do not include the s69 8% in the request for repayment, this only comes in to play when you have to file a claim in the county court or MCOL.

It also seems that some of the helpers on contractual interest have jumped ship so to speak.

You would make your life much easier by using the simple spread sheet which shows the 8% from date of the first charge.

Just my own opinion.:)

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Thanks for the reply, nevos.

Just to clarify, if I don't want to claim contractual interest, I don't need to fill out the right hand column in the spreadsheets (Mindzai's and the Advanced one in the bank templates library, titled "Total Interest on Penalties"). I just need to send the list of my charges and forget about the INTEREST charges on my statement. Is this correct?

If my claim goes to court, then I will claim the s69 8% statutory interest, which is found on the Simple spreadsheet in the bank templates library and also in Mindzai's spreadsheet. Correct?

I will send my letter to the address below, as per livelylad's post:

Preliminary and Letter Before Action

NatWest Customer Relations

225 Shenley Road

Borehamwood

Hertfordshire

WD6 1BR

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/74934-natwest-contact-information.html

Is this correct?

Nat West are getting away with thousands and thousands of pounds by intimidating people into accepting offers of charges and no interest. You are entitled to claim back the interest that they charged you. As long as you include this in your initial claim. Admittedly they will fight the interest part of your claim, but if you end up in court they will still have to disclose the true costs of their charges. which we all know they have not and will not do this. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/18313-why-no-one-claiming.html

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Ok, getting more confused now.

If I want to reclaim overdraft interest, is this the same as contractual interest or is it something else?

If I want to reclaim overdraft interest, which part of Mindzai's spreadsheet do I fill out? Please specify tab colour and title.

Thanks.

Just a personal opinion here, but if it were me, and I was starting this process all over again, I would be going for CONTRACTUAL. As it happens I now cant change, but as yet, they have have yet to stand in a court room and give full breakdown of their charges, so I just dont see it happening in the near future. I know its a bit more complicated to work out, but worth it, I believe................ Just a personal observation though......... All the best, whatever you decided. Fendy xxxx

Referring to the step-by-step instructions, it says:

Having received either a summary of charges, or copy statements, and calculated your charges (plus any overdraft interest which you can show was caused solely by those charges - not general overdraft interest), enter them into one of our spreadsheets in the Library.

My question is how do I specifically calculate this overdraft interest? Do I use the right hand column in the spreadsheet (either the one by Mindzai or the Advanced one in the templates library)?

By calculating the overdraft interest and submitting it with my claim, does this mean I am claiming contractual interest?

And if I don't wish to claim contractual interest, then I should just submit the left hand column detailing the charges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am still not clear on the difference between contractural interest and calculating overdraft interest charges that appear on my statements.

Guest NATTIE

I think we all have to take a step back here. The bank are paying out a lot at the moment albeit, outside of timescales but paying out. Each individual that claims must choose if they want to go for contractual interest based on reciprocity or 8%(court would award) or simply the charges back which previously they had not thought they would get at all. You as the person who's claim it is must decide which route you want to follow and we as either claimants, helpers, knowledgeable people will support you which ever route you decide.

Stormbringer,

I will try to explain your 3 options as best as possible.

1) Claim your charges only;

2) Claim your charges PLUS what is known as contractual interest. This is the interest you are charged on any amount outside your agreed credit zone limit. That means, if you have a £600 overdraft, you can claim the interest charged on the amount you are OVER the £600 by. This can be quite tricky which is why I didn't bother! It is also likely to cause delays in reclaiming your money so you really have to weigh up the benefits.

3) Claim your charges and if (and only if) it gets to court stage you can choose to add 8% to your claim which the courts will award under section 69 of the relevant act!

Hope that makes things clear and best of luck with your claim.

Laura

Natwest Bank Plc owe me £1,227.48

06/03/07 - Prelim Sent

16/03/07 - Claim authorised, in full, via telephone...

28/03/07 - Full offer received in writing - YAY

29/03/07 - Offer accepted!

Bank of Scotland Mastercard owe me £497.00

11/03/07 - Complaint telephone call logged

29/03/07 - 50% offer received...

As Nattie quite rightly says the choice is yours, but Nat West unfortunately don't give you a choice.It was their unlawful charges that put you in this position in the first place.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Thank you laura_d! That's exactly the info I was looking for!

I know the choice is mine but I couldn't confidently make it without being clear on what the choices are. :)

I'm going to submit the claim without contractual interest. I'm sending the letter to Natwest today by recorded delivery. I'll keep you all posted.

No probs Stormbringer - it can be confusing so glad I could help!!

Natwest Bank Plc owe me £1,227.48

06/03/07 - Prelim Sent

16/03/07 - Claim authorised, in full, via telephone...

28/03/07 - Full offer received in writing - YAY

29/03/07 - Offer accepted!

Bank of Scotland Mastercard owe me £497.00

11/03/07 - Complaint telephone call logged

29/03/07 - 50% offer received...

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I sent the preliminary letter to NatWest in Borehamwood by recorded delivery on 4 April and obtained confirmation through Royal Mail's website that they received it on 5 April. To date, I have not received any reply. I wasn't sure if the 14 days included weekends and bank holidays but even calculating those days as of 5 April, it is now 14 days. For my own information, how are the 14 days calculated?

I am getting ready to send the Letter Before Action (LBA) and have had a look at the template in the Library. I have a question about the Default Notice. I'm not sure I have this on my credit record... how do I find out for sure?

Thanks!

It's 14 calender days - so it includes weekends.

Check your credit file (e.g., with experian) to see if they've placed a default notice against you. If they have, ask for it to be removed - if they haven't, just delete this part from the letter. :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Hi Stormbringer: NatWest are quite good however, after the lBA it is best to call them on 0800 015 4212 and ask if your refund is there on their computer. They usually say "yes, did you not get our letter bla bla, they didn't send it but ask around the time the LBA runs out.

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

• 3 weeks later...

I called the number Nevos posted. The first time I was cut off when I was being transferred (after I told them I was enquiring about my refund for unlawful bank charges... coincidence?). The second time I called, the customer service agent started shouting at me because I didn't have my PIN number (they don't need it... they can ask me other security questions, like they did the first time I called). Shouting... what lovely customer service. So I asked her to transfer me to someone else. He told me I had to call the same number I had just called (I have no idea where I was transferred). He also said to make sure I press "1" for Complaints when I called. I didn't want to call back yet another 3rd time, so I asked him to transfer me directly. I was put on hold for over 20 minutes after which I hung up. So now I am starting a claim via MCOL. I will keep you posted.

If you do decide to call back, call the same number, then press Option 1 then Option 1 again. This gets you directly through to the team dealing with bank charge refunds. I have not been asked for my PIN number at all.You may be lucky and only have to wait a few mins, I've called a couple of times, once, straight through, second time, 15 mins. Just depends how many of us are on a money back crusade at the time....or if the boss is in and we can phone from work or not.

Wendy

I received the Notice of Issue today, which clarifies the dates:

Your claim was issued on the 15th May 2007.

The court sent it to the defendant by first class post on the 15th May 2007 and it will be deemed to be served on the 20th May 2007.

The defendant has until the 3rd June 2007 to reply.

I am hoping that they won't reply and then I can ask the court to enter judgment. The total, including the £80 fee and 8% interest, is approx £950. Surely, they won't waste time flighting this small amount? We shall see!

This is funny... I received a very official looking letter from Natwest today. Thinking it was a letter with a cheque, I excitedly opened the envelope. Alas, it was a piece of "junk mail" informing me that I have been pre-approved for a loan. Uh... no thanks. If they just pay what they owe me for their unlawful charges, I wouldn't need a loan! :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THANKS!

I just received the Acknowledgment of Service. Page 2 has been filled in by RBS Litigation. I was under the impression from reading this forum and from this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/74934-natwest-contact-information.html that it was Cobbetts.

What I would like to do now is send my schedule of charges for the 8% interest I am claiming, as I used MCOL. I need someone to clarify to whom I should be sending my letter and schedule of charges. Cobbetts, as stated in this forum? Or do I sent it to RBS Group Litigation, as stated in page 2 of the acknowledgment of service?

The address is

RBS

Group Litigation

2nd Floor

1 Princes Street

London

EC2R 8PB

I also read this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/36151-cobbetts-not-coping.html but I am still unsure where to send my letter and schedule of charges. Should I play it safe and use the address in the Acknowledgment of Service (RBS Litigation)?

Thanks!

Hi stormbringer, I'm sure parkvale will correct me if I'm wrong, but as you've used MCOL to start your claim I'm pretty sure that your supporting evidence needs to be sent here:

Money Claim Online,

Northampton County Court,

21-27 St. Katharine's Street,

Northampton,

NN1 2LH

Check with parkvale to be double sure though. xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.