Not allowed to 'publish' contents of offer letter. Can they do this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have some court action going on with a car finance company at the moment. I will not name them for what will become obvious reasons but I do have a thread that gives all the details.

I am at the stage of having put my claim into the court. They have replied with an 'offer' and have told me they have filed an acknowledgement of service and will be filing a defense. I have declined the offer and intend to continue to court.

At the end of their lengthy offer letter was a paragraph stating that if i 'published' any of the contents of the letter without their permission both myself and the publisher would be liable for damages.

I'm not usually a paranoid sort of person and maybe i am being paranoid about this. We all know that the people we are fighting against most probably do read posts on this site. I just wonder if that is what has happened here?

It is usual practice for us to display the contents of correspondence in order to get a response/reply/help from other members.

Does anyone know if this is normal practice? in which case i AM being paranoid. And can they do this? Can the author of that letter really claim damages if the contents of it are published without their permission.

I have erred on the side of caution here and not posted the contents of the letter on my thread (as I would normally do)

Any help much appreciated

Wouldnt panic over this at it is fairly standard stuff, you could play them at the same game and send refusal letter without prejudice, telling them they cant use this at court without your permission, they go to court and claim they havent made you an offer, if they even go to court, sounds like they know they could lose to me.

Thanks bigmac

Have sent my without predjudice letter today refusing what is without doubt a pathetic offer.

I'm just a bit shaky because i've never did anything like this before and would really hate to trip up and give them anything to come back at me with.

I am pretty confident of going to court....i have a good case. just didn't want to give them something to ruin it with. I've come to value the opinions and help i've had on this site and dearly wanted to share the contents of the letter with those who have helped and advised me.

I'm nervous now and probably really wary! thanks for the reassurance. it is much appreciated

Thank you!

I will probably be back if and when the defense is filed. I am determined to go all the way on this. If i lose my £220 then ok....but I hope i don't.

Thanks for the encouragement!!! Just what i need

If you get time read my thread fairclaireVbritish credit trust. I was truly shafted.

Make your own mind up!

Thanks again

Claire