• Tweets

• Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
    • I agree HB, but there were no laws broken - its perfectly legal to fleece the UK and its infrastructure - and labour were little better than the Tories Perhaps an option would be to ban the aussie investment fund from the UKs markets
    • surprised you gave that frost article the light of day HB Long been the case that no further evidence of his wing-nutishness needed. Heck he even railed against the rubbish grate deal he largely created
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

John72 v Lloyds TSB

John72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have submitted a claim for £8100 worth of bank charges and contractual interest in addition. The total claim is in excess of £23,000.

I have received the standard SC&M defence and have filed my AQ using the "new procedure" with a draft order for directions. I have also, in the AQ, asked for my case to be allocated to the small claims track notwithstanding it's size, for all the reasons set out by GaryH in his various postings.

I'm now just waiting.......

John

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome John! :)

In excess of £23,000, wow. This is going to be interesting to follow. The best advice I can give is to keep reading up on as many aspects of contractual interest as you can.

Good luck. Lucid :)

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

*Won unconditionally with contractual interest (29.85% compounded)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*All settled in full - 6/2/07

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Lucid

Thanks, and yes I will do. I thought I'd read and taken in a lot already from this helpful site, but things just keep developing even more don't they?

John

Hi John,

We do seem to be at the same stage,my claim is for £900 and I am not involved with contractual interest.My claim is with Trowbridge Court it will be interesting to see what response we get from the court to the AQ with the request for the directions.I am not looking forward to preparing a court bundle.

Will keep following your case,good luck.

Jim.:)

Just a quick update to say that today is the deadline for SC&M to file their AQ in Court. I have just phoned the Court who confirm they have mine but nothing from SC&M - yet......

J

Hi All

I have this morning received a "Notice of Pre Trial Review" the text of which reads:

TAKE NOTICE that the Pre Trial Review will take place on

13 July 2007 at 3.45pm

at ..............

When you should attend

Please Note : This case may be released to another Judge, possibly at a different Court

There are no directions issued and it seems I, or the bank, do not have to provide anything prior to the hearing.

Any thoughts?

John

Hi John, I have just read your PM, I found from the LTSB Barrister at the prelim hearing that they are defending only the CI on claims, they are as I have read before intending to defend the CI bit only, my claim was also for a large amount, but I was not brave enough to try for CI - but knowing what I do now, I am glad I only went for the 8%.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear!!! But I think it is only fair to have the whole picture.....Good luck to you what ever you decide, When I see how much you are claiming back with CI It is a HUGE amount, but I am sure if you are able to read up everthing you can, understand everything you read and be very accurate with all your calculations, you will be ok!

Good Luck Darling1

if I have been of any help to you please be kind enough to click my scales!

If I have been of any help to you please be kind enough to click on my scales! Thank you

:D Halifax Bank...December 2006 ..... WON! 1 week after N1 filed.

:eek: Lloyds TSB....... April 2007 Lloyds TSB.....WON, 1 day before prelim. court date, still went before judge.

:p Nationwide.........April 2007 Nationwide.......WON, 3 weeks after N1 filed.

:rolleyes: Nat West....June 2007 (on behalf of friend) Settled after LBA and before filing.

:smile:HSBC - full settlement ...on behalf of my son...

Hi John

This may help:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Barty:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html I WON!!!!:-D :-D

If I have helped, please click my scales:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Hi

I've faxed and posted GaryH's suggested letter to SC&M and copied it to Court, to show that we're attempting to "narrow the gap" between us. If this gets to a hearing, and there has been no prior contact from SC&M then I'm hoping this might be a useful document to show the Judge.

John

[Discussion moved from here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/32537-purple-lloyds-tsb-5.html#post761375]

The actual interest which they have charged you on top of the penalties is part of the penalty - so perfectly reclaimable, yes, I agree. What I'm disputing is our right to then charge interest on top of that at the accounts contractual rate when there is no express term that allows us to do so. Or have I missed your point?

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Gary

On LTSB overdrafts there are two rates of interest - "authorised" and "unauthorised", depending on whether the overdraft is within an agreed facility level or not.

Where a customer is constantly operating on an overdraft basis he will effectively be charged a rate of interest on the penalty charges at a "contractual" rate of interest - the rate of that being dependant on whether the overdraft level is within an agreed facility or not - but in any event that will be a rate of either around 18% or 29% which will in turn be compounded. That is a considerable difference to the simple statutory rate of 8%.

In my case I have claimed a refund of the charges plus the contractually charged interest - at either the 29% or, in the alternative, the 18% rate - at the discretion of the court. As I was at all times operating on an overdraft basis (sometimes within the agreed facility, sometimes not) I cannot see how the court could rule that those interest costs (charged by LTSB and wholly attributable to the incidence of the unlawful charges) are not refundable.

Have I got my understanding on this wrong?

John

The amount in interest they have charged you on top of the unlawful penalties is absolutely reclaimable - I've never disputed that, interest charged on a penalty is also part of the penalty.

To claim this you would have to extrapolate the amount of interest attributable to each penalty charge as opposed to the interest levied to normal overdraft borrowing.

Obviously if you spend £30 which puts you in to unauthorised OD then they have a right to charge you interest at the U/A rate for this. If however they then charge you a £30 penalty which puts you £60 into U/A OD, you can claim the charge back as well as the OD interest levied to the charge - but you'd have to work out (as accurately as possible) which part was on top of the penalty, as opposed to the legitimate interest charged on your £30 spend.

Thats what we refer to as overdraft interest in the templates. Its claimed as part of the substantive claim - as part of the penalties. There are spreadsheets available to help work out which proportion of your total monthly OD interest was levied due to penalties.

Contractual interest is claimed instead of (or as an alternative to) the statutory 8%. Its on top of what the bank have already taken from us in the form of the penalties and the OD interest on those penalties.

Was that your understanding?

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

I think that I have probably underclaimed against LTSB in the sense that I have not included the OD interest (at the "authorised" rate) in terms of calculating the true extent of the overall penalty, to which I would then add the 8% statutory interest.

I am confident that this could be argued with SC&M in terms of settlement prior to a hearing if necessary. My bargaining point, I am hoping, is that SC&M have not pleaded against this aspect in their defence and I can use that to "horse trade" with them. Or dou think I am better amending my POC at this stage?

J

Its hard to envisage how you could have underclaimed given that your interest is 15k.

The OD interest they charged you on top of each penalty typically won't be that much - usually only a couple of quid on each penalty at most. Its reclaimed as the actual amount of money they took, rather than by adding a compounded rate of interest on top, if you get what I mean.

It seems to me like you haven't claimed any overdraft interest - I.e the interest they charged on top of each penalty, but have claimed the contractual compounded rate on top, as an alternative to the stat 8%.

If you'd like to e-mail me your spreadsheet I don't mind taking a look for you, although if you couyld leave it till the weekend that'd be better.

Thanks Gary. So that I can understand this a little more, can you run through this with me?

Assume that a bank customer is constantly running their account within an agreed OD facility. As such the interest rate on the debit balance will always be at an authorised OD rate.

Any charges debited to that account will then form part of the balance on which interest is charged, and which in terms of an increasing OD balance, would be compounded?

Am I right in understanding your point that the lifetime of an interest calculation on a particular charge will last only as long as that charge is not "paid off" (effectively) by a credit going into the account?

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Any news or any contact from SC&M yet? The only letter I have ever had is from L-TSB, the normal "sorry your not happy" back at the begining of March.....

Oh well, only 10 weeks to court...

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam

Since receiving the court date i've written twice to SC&M with a view to encourage them to agree some directions to present to the court. Sadly i've heard didley squat back.

I was wondering about making an application to have the defence struck out on the basis that the defendant is abusing the court process and has no intention of appearing in court?

John

You could, but its not without risk. If it was unsuccessful you would almost certainly have to pay the banks costs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...