• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pcworld missleading saleperson. Customer services Fob Off

sparkyreb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello new to here seeking advice. below a letter to pcworld. sorry for the length but couldn't condense it. appreciate any advice.

After speaking to a member of customer services I'm sending in this email regarding a small but annoying problem that has arisen.

After purchasing an Advent 7110 Laptop from your ******** branch on the 17th Dec 2006, the young lady who served us told us that it would work with Windows Vista when it is released as it had a sticker indicating "Windows Vista Capable" We required a laptop at the time otherwise we would have waited till Vista was released and you were selling laptops preloaded with it.

Subsequently a few weeks ago I was pleasantly suprised to find out that I was eligible for a free upgrade via a company in Holland (Moduslink) once the online form and my reciept was faxed to them. Waiting expectantly at the moment. I browsed the Microsoft Vista homepage and after downloading and running the compatability program it gave the results that the graphics would not work namely the (Aero) feature of Vista on my laptop.

I searched more in depth and finding on Intel's website that the graphicschipset wouldn't work with The Aero feature.

I'm not at all happy as i was told at the time of the sale that it would work with Microsoft Vista. (The young lady seemed more agitated/pushy with selling me an extended warranty at the time and I wouldn't of been surprised if she'd admit to serving the pope to clinch an extended warranty sale) I had to repeat myself 4 times that i wouldn't like the extended warranty. was she more concerned with the warranty sale hence a shortfall on the technical knowledge?

There reply.

Thank you for your email of 30 March 2007.

The laptop Advent 7110 is capable of running Windows Vista Basic which is why it highlights this on the compatibility sticker. You would have to upgrade if you wish to install with the premium version or above.

The sticker doesn't mention only work on basic. it's the size of my thumbnail.

Wouldn't have bought it if it wouldn't work fully with Vista.

Where do i stand?

Well technically the laptop is Vista capable, unless you specifically asked if the aero feature would run then they haven't really done anything wrong and infact all they have done is quote what the sticker on the laptop says.

To run Vista properly with all the bells and whistles working smoothly takes a fairly powerful computer with a decent graphics card and at least 1gb pref 2gb of ram. It will run on a lower spec computer with 512mb ram and slower cpu, lower end graphics card but same with games you will have to turn down certain graphics settings and turn off certain features.

Unless you specified at the time of sale that you wanted the laptop to run the aero feature of Windows Vista, then the item has not been misrepresented.

If you asked if the laptop would run Windows Vista and the assistant answered yes, then she is correct, as it will and I assume is running Windows Vista, albeit the Basic version.

There are hacks out there to enable this feature, even if the system reports that it can't do it, although the performance of the laptop may be affected.

The other question has to be - why do you desperately want to run vista?

If its the supposed added security and the fancy interface have a look at linux with beryl as the windows manager. Far more secure and will run alot smoother/faster on your computer.

when I was in store looking over the laptops when the young lady served us I asked if this particular model will work with Vista and would there be any compatability problems she said no. There was no mention of a restricted version of Vista or that Aero wouldn't work. I had my partner who was buying me the laptop as a present and a friend with us as they wanted something from pcworld at the same time. They both witnessed the sales person stating there wouldn't be any problems running Windows Vista. Why have Vista if you can't utilise everything it comes with. Seems the Microsoft WOW factor once it goes through the PcWorld grinder turns into a sound something like a whoopee cushion.

spikeachu: How would someone know what question to ask when you're informed at the time of sale that it would work without ANY problems. You go into a store to seek there expert advise.

Advent 7110

1.7GHz Intel centrino processor.

1GB Ram

That's the point, Vista Basic will work without any problems.

If you bought a car but didn't ask if it had electric windows, you wouldn't consider it a problem with the car when you drove it away and discovered it didn't have them. Likewise, if you didn't ask and it had electric windows, you'd consider it a bonus.

In your case, the Aero feature is the equivalent of the electric windows, you just assumed it would be available as standard.

As you didn't ask the specific question, you cannot state that the item was misrepresented or that the assistant was misleading.

You asked if it will run Windows Vista and the assistant gave the correct answer.

How would someone know what question to ask when you're informed at the time of sale that it would work without ANY problems. You go into a store to seek there expert advise.
I think what is more to the point is that when you bought the PC Vista hadn't been released yet...so therefore you didn't know what features to ask for...

TBH I think PC World have dropped a clanger here...it goes without saying that someone who needs to buy a PC, and has to ask advice in the shop, is not a tech wizard, and the shop should be more forthcoming with the pros and cons of the machine...PC World consider themselves experts, so this is something that they should have forseen...

When making the comparison with the electric car window, you could have said that if you didn't ask "will the car do more than 5mph" then they technically have not missold if it doesn't do 5mph...

Technically they have not missold, but in principle they have not been forthcoming with the problems you would be likely to encounter...would suggest going to your local branch and asking to speak to the manager...Aero is a feature of Vista, it doesn't work on the machine, ergo a poor sale.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Phoenix, you give them too much credit. On the whole They have no more tecnical expertise than you and I albeit a little light reading so as not to look stupid when asked about a particular product. After all sales foremost and the tec bit is a bonus.

spikeachu:

If i bought a car and it had the windows down you'd expect to be able to wind them up. ergo you expect it to have this feature as standard pcworld and the rest of microsoft are whooping on how mutts nuts Vista is but doesn't make it too clear on what you get till it's too late. Even the techguys website states it meets the minimum requirements but doesn't state what it is. (why would I go onto techguys website or ask any questions pertaining to the ability of the graphics when I went into PcWorld for their advice) If I already knew??. If i was that good at reading the future I would have won the lottery and made an appointment to meet Bill gates and asked for his advice.

Sparky, sorry to hear about your issues with PCWorld, but these guys are purley sales men and nowt else.

Now as already mentioned your machine will run Vista, as the sticker says.

These stickers come from Micro$oft and can only be applied on machines that can run it.

Your issue is really with how Micro$oft judges which machine are allowed to have the Vista sticker.

The MINIMUM specs for Vista will NOT allow it to run Areo and even the recomended ones would have problems.

BTW I am a Techie also I would advise against using this shop for anything except everyday consumables.

You'd be better off with Dell online, you can even talk to someone if you'd like. ;)

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

You asked if the PC would run Windows Vista, which it will. We have to tell the customers what we are told be the manufacturers, and M$ told us that the Advent 7110 would run Vista, so thats what we told you.

Vista will still run absolutely the same in basic or premium, the only real difference is the aero interface, which is naught but a big bloaty see through taskbar which hogs resources anyway :p

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yourbestfriend
PC World consider themselves experts, so this is something that they should have forseen...

Technically they have not missold, but in principle they have not been forthcoming with the problems you would be likely to encounter...would suggest going to your local branch and asking to speak to the manager...Aero is a feature of Vista, it doesn't work on the machine, ergo a poor sale.

1 thing to note.. i have watched a couple Tv adverts today for pcworld. also went into their shop yesterday to ask the friendly guys at my local store about their policies to answer another thread from here. and also looked on their website

not one single place does it say "we all have degree's" or "we are the experts" or "genius's found here". there hype and moto is computer SUPERSTORE and stamping down on prices.

in my store if someone wants some advice they pay, because they know im right with what i say. PCWorld dont charge so why complain about free advice?

2. the person has not been mis sold at all. using your example the person asked is there anything wrong with this car or is there anything missing from it. no there is not.

it is not miss selling as the computer can run on vista. it would take a ages to explain about every feature of each vista version aero, networking, media center. but the question was. what is included in the version of vista, or what can i use?

plugging in a printer is a compatibility issue. using aero on a vista basic machine is not. because basic was not designed for aero. like the car example you used is not designed for a engine from a Tank

PC World consider themselves experts, so this is something that they should have forseen...

Nobody can forsee the ability of a customer to ask precisely the wrong question :)

When making the comparison with the electric car window, you could have said that if you didn't ask "will the car do more than 5mph" then they technically have not missold if it doesn't do 5mph...

Well no, its a given that a car will do a standard car speed. Its a given that a car will do a lot of things. Its NOT a given that the car you have bought will have tinted windows and alloy wheels. They are a feature of your NEIGHBOURS car, but did you bother to ask if they came with THIS car?

Bitlocker is a feature of Vista too, but its only available in Vista Ultimate. Does that mean every computer i've sold with Vista Premium is a poor sale too? God im going to have a lot of angry customers to deal with :(

For thos who have issues with the "Windows Vista Compatible" label not measuring up to the reality, you may be interested to read that Microsoft is being sued (in the States) because this labelling is misleading, but ultimately Microsoft are sanctioning it...read more here...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest retailpointofview

OK tell me if i am wrong. the shop has to find a remedy which solves the problem within a certain time without costs to the customer and without too much inconvenience. (that paragraph was sarcasm not a question)

telling the customer to go to the manufacturer is a remedy. i dont think the pcworld guys know how to dust out a printer let alone repair anything.

manufacturers are the only fully trained people to fix it. they have the parts ready and waiting and you dont have to even leave your home. they come to you.

i think that legally covers all bases

if something went wrong for me, id call the head office to ask their procedures. for 1 its a phone call, alot cheaper then petrol. 2 by having their head offices involved from stage one is great ammo.

stores cant repair things there and then.

from experience and from asking judges in small claims,

(yes i know of 3! before you start arguing)

they all say that a customer can use the manufacturers gurantee to remedy the issue. and stores can ask the customer to use the manufacturer too as it is classed as a remedy.

they can get whomever they want involved as long as it solves the problem withing reasonable time, least inconvenient and without cost to customer.

but these are 2 things the retailer CANNOT do

1. Charge the customer for a repair where it is proved faulty and not reimburse them.

2. Don't offer an alternative repair, replacement, or refund remedy if manufacturer or their other repair options wont deal with it.

The retailer CAN ask you to pay for a repair or inspection. BUT if this is then proven as fault from purchase the retailer has to either not charge or reimburse the costs.

manufacturers gurantee's do not affect your legal rights. its a law that all manufacturers have to state this. going to the manufacturer will not affect SOGA at all.

all comments about retailers lack of responsibility are not 100% valid until after 12 months. from the many threads, each comment is that the retailer has asked you to go to the manufacturer.

to me id prefer this.

1. i wouldnot trust PCWorld staff with a printer for 5 minutes.

2. i dont want to leave it with them and pick it back up in a couple

weeks because i live 30 miles away (60 mile round trip) (120mile totla to drop of and pick up)

3. for pcworld to fix it or get their techguys involved is a waste of 48hours to book the techguys and another few days to get the part. lexmark have a next business day swap over policy.

honestly, what would you prefer??? pcworld or lexmark??

comet, currys, argos, and other retailers all use the manufacturer as a remedy.

Always seek advice from the companies head office first but do not go instore.

they are not repairmen so demanding a repair is like asking mike tyson for his mums telephone number and bra size

by any chance retailpointofview have you been here before under the name yourbestfriend?

You beat me to it. I'd put money on it, if I had any!

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Guest retailpointofview

lets reword it. manufacturers are the only EXTERNAL engineers the seller will recognise as being fully trained, so your friend down the road is no good no matter how qualified he is.

unless the seller's own repairmen, or external parties which THEY recognise. You will be going outside of the SOGA and could be affecting it if you wished to claim later.

it is not complete rubbish. To keep your rights you have to get it verified by the sellers representatives and the repairs have to be satisfactory to the seller too.

lets say you did not go to ford to get your car fixed and went to joe bloggs mechanics instead, be has a degree in engineering and 30 years expereince. if he then found out the engine was faulty and put a non ford engine in the car or a 1.8litre instead of the 1.6litre this can afect your rights. also by it not being diagnosed by the seller then the seller could see this as you trying to get a engine upgrade not a repair. again affecting your rights. sellers see the people who design it as being the only fully qualified people 100%. as they design it, have spare parts, etc, etc. there are many people 99.9999999% qualified to fix it but unless recognised by the seller, they might as well be 0% qualified when it comes to your rights.

i am not saying other garages are not qualified to fix ford cars. im saying that to keep your rights go to the right people.