debt collectors withdraw cash from my account!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I defaulted on my halifax credit card for a few months, whilst out of work I was unable to keep up repayments (we have all been there).

I just get back into work and get my first paycheck... The funds get transferred into my Halifax account, however 4 days later, Blair oliver and scott (the debt collectors) transfer the full amount (over 600 quid) out of my account, CASH!

The reason I found this out is a friend of mine is a cashier at halifax and had a look at my account and found this.

Now my problem is, are the legally allowed to take cash out of my account with no prior warning, or without my permission?

also if this has happened to me, has it happened to anyone else?

Does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on here?

AFAIK Blair Oliver & Scott are the collectors for the Halifax, and are part of Halifax, in which case they can exercise the right of offset. I'll check for you to make sure. On what grounds did they refuse refund?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

They're probably within their rights, given that it's a Halifax credit card & Halifax bank account, however some good links for you to read are here and here :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

I defaulted on my halifax credit card for a few months, whilst out of work I was unable to keep up repayments (we have all been there).

I just get back into work and get my first paycheck... The funds get transferred into my Halifax account, however 4 days later, Blair oliver and scott (the debt collectors) transfer the full amount (over 600 quid) out of my account, CASH!quote]

Apparently, they do have the right to do this, but only for the amount of missed payments. Was the £600+ the total of the payments you failed to make, or the full balance?

I didn't know they had the right to do this, as one of my accounts went over the limit once and my bank asked my permission to transfer money from another account I held with them. They didn't just take it!

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

In order for a firm to exercise its right to 'set off' -

The debt must be due and payable. For example, if a customer misses making a loan payment, then (at least until it calls in the loan)** the firm can take only the missed payment – not the balance of the loan.

**can anyone else clarfiy what this means?

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

In order for a firm to exercise its right to 'set off' -

The debt must be due and payable. For example, if a customer misses making a loan payment, then (at least until it calls in the loan)** the firm can take only the missed payment – not the balance of the loan.

**can anyone else clarfiy what this means?

I would take that to mean "when you have defaulted on the loan and the bank sends you a default notice" - that's usually when the whole balance becomes due & payable immediately (i.e. the loan is "called in").

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement