Need advice - odd situation

shazzaspannered

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some advice.

I was claiming back some charges from Barclays Bank. I had basically got to the stage where I was claiming back roughly £360 in charges and Barclays had offered me £235 as a last chance settlement.

The letter they sent me had a form to fill in if I accepted the offer and send back. I wasn’t sure whether to just take the money and run or put in a court claim.

Unfortunately this was all happening at the same time as my house in Nottingham going up for sale, me moving to a new city moving in with my boyfriend, starting a new job which I consequently lost and then being unemployed and having to use all my time into finding a new job.

As there was limited room at my boyfriends I have been living out of bags and boxes and I tried to find the letter as I thought it said I had six months to respond but I couldn’t find it so I presumed it was still at my house in Nottingham as I had left a lot of stuff there. Then I found the letter and to my dismay it said I had 8 weeks to respond or they would close the case.

After talking it through with a couple of people we decided the best plan of action was to say I hadn’t received the letter as I had moved address so I sent a letter to Barclays making out I hadn’t heard back from them since the previous letter. On Saturday they sent me a copy of the offer letter with “copy” written in black biro on the top.

The thing is I don’t know what to do now. There is a number on the letter that I can ring with any queries so I’m not sure if I should ring that as I have decided to just take the money they have offered me (if I can still get it) or if I should fill in the acceptance form and see what happens next?

I'm so annoyed with myself as it is totally my fault but I honestly thought the letter said I had 6 months to respond and with everything else going on I had to put everything else on the sidelines until I found a new job etc.

Any ideas anyone? :confused:

I would carry on with the full claim, £360 quid is a lot of money and you'll get a bit more with the interest! But if you want take what they are offerign then just fill in the copy, I'm sure they would honour that amount, because they want to pay less than what you are entitled too.:)

Good luck with which ever decidion you make

Tori

I think that is what I am going to try doing.

I don't really want to go back to the beginning again as if I go back 6 years from now I think most of my charges were taken from my account in the year 2000 so it wouldn't equate to much (if anything).

I suppose it can't hurt to send a covering letter confirming I hadn't recieved that letter and enclosing the form accepting their offer.

They say the amount will be credited to my account but my account was closed in 2002 so is it ok for me to ask for them to send the amount in the form of a cheque instead?

Yeah just ask for a cheque,

but if you do owe money on that closed account then I think they are within their right to use that money they are paying you to put against the amount you owe them. If you don't owe them a thing then just ignore what I just said and go for a cheque!!!!:)

Yeah just ask for a cheque,

but if you do owe money on that closed account then I think they are within their right to use that money they are paying you to put against the amount you owe them. If you don't owe them a thing then just ignore what I just said and go for a cheque!!!!:)

Well I think I owe them about £25 on that account but I am planning on paying that all off today or tomorrow so the account is clear once and for all.

I will draft a letter up to go with the acceptance form and get it in the post asap.

Thanks for your help :)