WHy are they still doing it ??

stalteriisok
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - new here

My son told me about this site and about reclaiming charges today and i have been eading through with great interest

I will - as soon as i get the information into my ant brain be reclaiming (hopefully) my charges

My question is - with all the money they are paying back - why are the banks STILL doing it ??

My son rang the Woolwich - they attempted to charge him £10 per statement he told them that he knew his rights having read this site !!

at this they capitulated and said they would sort it out - he was owed £1800 - offered £1200 which he accepted - job done

THEN last week they charged him £35 for a failed direct debit - and another £35 because there was no money to pay the FIRST £35 (true honest) - he then rang them again and they have since refunded the £70 !!

surely as it is apparently illegal they cannot do this any more ??

Banks are weasels.

T.O.G.

"Weasel (n): any person or group that operates in that vast grey area between good ethical behaviour and the sort of activities that might send you to jail".

Its purely a case of crunching the numbers. As long as what comes in is greater than what goes back out, the charges will continue. Thats just my theory, but I'm certain that its pretty damn spot on.

For someone like me, it works out expensive for them to apply charges. For every £35 they charge me or any one of my friends & family, it must cost them around £300 in A) returning the charge B) paying the court fee C) paying the interest & D) paying their own solicitors fees. However, for every one like me, there must be hundreds of others who just pay it.

Banks are weasels.

T.O.G.

I have just sent a letter to Nationwide regarding £90 charges.

I found a thread about charges for people on benefits and these charges are illegal. (see Social Security Administration act 1992, sec 187)

I'm on benefit, but they still took the charges due to benefit not being paid into account on time.

First letter received was standard s*d off letter, now i'm quoting this act at them. Will keep you posted.

Trevor

THEN last week they charged him £35 for a failed direct debit - and another £35 because there was no money to pay the FIRST £35 (true honest)

To be honest you should be thankful he wasn't charged another £35 because there was no money to pay the second one and then another because there was none to pay the third and then another... I could go on.

All seems very reasonable to me, after all they're providing you with a service.

I rather suspect it is also due to the whole charging regime being an automated process. They have not changed the code which runs on the mainframe and will not change it until OFT extracts its digit or Parliament takes some action. (airborne and pigs spring to mind!)

As long as we keep claiming the charges back from them when we see them then they may take notice but as Steve says the whole thing is run by computers and as such the human element in banking has been lost forever.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

The thing is that they could build "the human element" into the systems if they wanted. Like not charging you if you only go £2.23 over your OD limit. Or not charging you again if the only reason you're being charged is because you've just been charged etc etc.

I agree-there should be some sort of fail safe system that says that if only go slightly over your limit then a charge will not be levied.

This goes back to my argument for the return to the days of the branch manager who actually knows his clients and could see that even though Mr X has gone £2.50 over his limit he will have his salary paid in a couple of days later and this will clear the debit.

But as we all know they are run with the banks shareholders in mind and as such they need to maximise these returns-and they only way that they can do this is by penalising their customers.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.