Choice of Repairers

postman pat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had my car vandalised and needed to claim through my insurers (Tesco) for the repairs totalling £1400. I chose to use my local Ford dealership to carry out the repairs and not Tesco's recommended repairer, Just-car-Clinic which I believe they own.

On collecting the car the re-spray that had been carried out was terrible and requires completely "re-doing". I informed Tesco of my dissatisfaction with the work only to receive the reply that because I chose an alternative to their recommendation, they were not interested and it was my problem to sort things out with the Ford garage. They also added they would pay the bill regardless of the standard of work!!

I would really like to know if it is normal practice for insurers to be able to "wash their hands" of claims if you use the option of choosing your own repairer?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Tesco are not quite right here - if they paid the repairer direct then you do have some protection as it will be upto Tesco to argue that the repairs are not satisfactory. If they fail to help then I suggest you complain in writing and ultimately complain to the Ombudsman. I do remember a similar case that was featured on Ombudsman's news and the FOS found in favour of the customer.

Did you point the problem out to the repairer at the time of collection?

It is usual practice to give the repairer a chance to correct the problem and then if still not satisfactory then complain via the insurer.

Unfortunately it is all too common for direct insurers to deal with clients in this manner when a problem arises.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the replies.

The garage have taken the car back in following my complaints. It's been gone over a week now so I'm sure it will come with pink spots are something similar.

Once again the commenst are most appreciated.

I agree with mooreda, If they give you the cheque to give to the garage then they can wash their hands, but as direct billing has been agreed they are liable. If you get no luck with the garage go back to Tesco / FOS

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!