A strange note with my Barclays car ins renewal

indebtstudent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Under the heading notice to policy holders (which is mostly garbage). there is one paragraph that seems unusual and I have certainly not seena company go this far before.

"I/We agree that you and other members of the Barclays Group and thier agents will inform me/us (by letter, telephone (including automated dialling and SMS texting), computer or email) about products and services (including those of other carefully selected organisations) which may be of interest to me/us. If I/we do not wish to recieve details of pdoructs and services I/we will write to Barclays Motor Insurance. PO Box 7463, Perth, PH2 0YX quoting my/our policy number and stating whether I/we wish to opt out of recieving informaiton by mail, telephone or any other means"

This seems like a bit of a hoop to jump through just to aovid marketing mail, there is normally just a box to tick or untick. If I can find a comparable quote I'll be changing companies for this reason. Why the heck shold I send a letter to "opt out" of them sending me stuff I don't want?

Can they do this? Take no comment as a sign that you WANT to recieve marketting information?

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

I have seen both the example used by Barclays and the 'tick box' employed by various insurers and direct writers etc. It isnt that unusual.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

Barclays motor insurance is underwritten by Norwich Union (the address you mention in Perth is the centre that deals with it) and when you call them the recorded message says similair. All you need to do is tell the advisor you dont want marketing information etc.

Its basically a way for them to give you information of other products that may be of interest to you from Aviva or Barclays.

With all the kerfuffle of unsolicited mail/marketing calls these days, Companies give you the option of opting in or out of such mailings.

The tick box isnt included as they are a direct centre, so you dont have forms to fill out and return to them. (unless you complete insurance online).

In Insurance, thinking "It wont happen to me" could mean you dont have the cover you want at a time when you want it! - Dont always reject a Courtesy Car or Legal because you find the cost too much! Whats more valuable? YOU or the Policy Premium?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please add to my reputation if my reply was informative to you. (click the scales);) Replies offered by me are not linked to anyone, and is from my own personal experience.:grin:

It doesn't list a telephone number though it says if I want to opt out I will write to such and such an address. I'm not going to renew with them anyway as my brain has just reminded me (out of the blue) that Barclays was the focus of the Whistleblower program!

Sometimes it scares me how silly I can be!!! I've found a cheaper quote but even if I hadn't I would pay a bit more for a company which I don't think treats its customers with disdain.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Err...I thought that it was now mandatory that marketing things like this have 'Opt-IN' boxes, where you have to specifically agree to receiving these communications..I shall go and ferret around...

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

But that doesn't address my specific situation - if you don't want to recieve this you must part with the cost of a stamp.

Glad I'm going elsewhere anyway!

Just a thought, they already have your info so no doubt they will send you stuff anyway.

I would write to them but don't put a stamp on the envelope ! Let them pay :D

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Thats exactly what i was thinking Trojan, I suppose the OP could ask for the email address of the data protection officer when next in hie local branch. Seems a lot of trouble to save the cost of a stamp though. :p

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07