Abusive landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am renting a one bedroom flat which when I signed the lease I was led to believe I was renting from an estate agent I had previously rented from. In actual fact it emerged that they were being given a finders fee.

This is whats happened:

1. I rented the property, on the day of taking over I was introduced by the estate agents to my landlords sister. She went through the inventory which I signed. My paid my deposit of £980 to the estate agent. She informed me that there was a dehumidifer that I must use. She did not tell me why.

2. The next day the shower does not work. I called the sister as she asked that if any repairs are needed I should call her. She asked me to arrange for 3 quotes and she would look at them and sort it. I did this and the problem was fixed. She paid the money into my account as per the agreement. It was then I noticed that we had a damp problem and also that the electrics are not working properly - blubs are blowing.

3. I get a call from my landlady in Trinadad to say that I need to sign a new lease as she wants to take a mortage out and the old one is not in her name. It is at this time I first speak to the landlord and realise she is in Trinadad. I go the estate agents and sign the lease. I ask them for a copy of the inventory which I still havent received. They tell me they will get back to me. After phonecalls and messages, I went to see them and they told me they have no paperwork as tthey are not the letting agents just the finders of a tenent. During this time I have been assured by the sister that if extend the lease they can review the rent and reduce it, the landlord confirmed this.

4. I get a phonecall from the landlady - she sister has stopped returning my calls redarding the electricity problems. She starts swearing at me, and threatening to evict me because I owe her rent for that last 5 months. After about 10 mins of this I tell her I am concerned because the rent has been paid and I have no idea where ist gone. I would call her after I speak to the bank. I was shaking and in tears worried how I wold replace the rent.

It turned out that all the rent was in the right account and it doesnt show up immediately on her internet. She phoned me to let me know, with no apology, and I did make a request for termination as I did not appreciate the manner she spoke to me. She phoned me the next day said that she was having personal problems apparently her husband had run off with her son and the money. Under the circumstances I gave way and agreed to continue in the property.

5. She decides that she wants to sell the flat, and expects us to faciliate viewings if we want to stay, she in return would allow us half rent for the final month. I agreed as long as they werent on Saturday as its my shopping day etc. I get an email back saying that I

have to agree to this as this is the only way I can stay.

We have had 4 viewings, the first one was a call on saturday morning for a viewing that day which I said I was unable to make it was extremely short notice. Again she called me and got abusive with me, saying I was obstructing her sale of the property. At this point she issued me with a termination notice via email, which I agreed to.

2 viewings happened, coming up to rent day she emails me saying she expects the full rent to be in her account. I emailed her back with a revised rental at half rate as she had said she would do. she agreed and added that if I expect my deposit back the bills need to be paid in full.

Since then I made a request to stay till the weekend of our moving out date as it would be easier to move, which accepted, and emailed that I would need to have the flat professionally cleaned to get the full deposit.

I then received an email from her at 5.05 on friday for a viewing on Saturday morning at 11am, which I agreed to. Unfortunately on the day I received a call from the hospital (my mother had major surgery the day before) asking me to come in as soon as possible. I emailed the estate agent and asked them to call me regarding the viewing as I wasnt able to make it, on my return I called them and spoke to the man concerned.

She phoned me in the afteroon and and I explained to her that I needed to go to the hospital and that the agent hadnt phoned me back. She then started to hurl abuse at me again, accusing me of not answering her calls and replying to her email. She called 3 times and the final time she went ballistic at me would not let me speak said what she had to and then and then hung up.

She said she wants me out on the orginal date she would not allow me stay any longer and that she would be bring "People" to make sure I left that day. She then went further and sent me an email cc to the estate agents accusing me of all sorts of things, as well as saying that having a sick mother is not an excuse for not being there for the viewing. She also thought to put Without prejudice in the ref which she hasnt done before.

I dont know what to say, I am so upset. I have to respond to her email and dont know what to say to her apart from do not phone me and hurl abuse at me. She actually shouts to me uses words like ****, and threatening me.

Can anyone help, I am scared she will with-hold my deposit which is a lot of money, she seems to change like the wind. Also she wasn't here when I rented to the place it was her sister so what should I do about that.

thanks

Hi there; it seem that you have had a misfortune of dealing with an amateur:mad: landlord, who has no idea about "quiet enjoyment" and other requirements of good landlording. Your rights are seriously infringed with regards to access to YOUR home (yes, whilst you are a tenant, you have exclusive rights to the property) But your post is very long and you need to clarify what do you want to achieve; leave? leave earlier then stipulated by contract? stay on?

In the meantime read the following: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/74053-access-property-landlord.html#post641916

If you worried about your deposit, please read the sticky about unfair deposit deductions and explain if you have, after all, received your inventory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]