Fraudulent Account Transfer -Must Read

Marbro

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

December 2006 a person unknown requested the transfer of my account along with all my direct debits and standing orders to set up an account with another bank. The unknown person was successful by visiting the branch and providing all necessary documents for identification only using my sort code and account number to set up the account in her name and address. The statment provided to prove the account belonged to her was showing again my sort code and account number her name and address, all transactions on the statement did not relate to to any of my direct debits or standing orders, payment of salary and so on.

I have experienced three months of re instructing all fifteen direct debits back to my account with various compaines and communicating with my bank to stop the transfer of my account, my bank even cancelled my cash point card without no communcation whatsoever I was left stranded because the cash point had taken my card. My concern is my bank at no time communicated with me to confirm the account transfer or closure of the account.

I now have documentation to confirm my bank communicated with the other bank on 21 December 2006 because the name did not correspond however continued with the process of transfering my account. I am currently in communication with both banks concerned, the question to my bank was if they had telephone or written to me before going ahead this situation would have been stopped, however the reply from my bank is unacceptable. The customer service dept say exact words! After speaking with the Account transfer unit the request to transfer your account was instigated by another bank, not by an individual, so it would purport to be genuine as a goodwill gesture £50 will be credited to your account. Unfortunatley the entire situation repeated itself on the 13th of March 2007 because the other bank did not void the fraudulent account again my bank went ahead with the process!

I would sincerely welcolme any comments to help progress effectively with this whole situation. My bank contacted the other bank re the name does not correspond, however never contacted myself my account is now approximatley 16 years old! they have my name address and telephone number

I would immediately open a new account with another bank, set up any relevant direct debits and standing orders manually yourself, run down your existing account, and then close it.

I would then write an extremely well thought out, extremely to the point, and extremely curt (!!!) letter to your Branch Manager and to the head office of your (ex) bank outlining your extreme dissatisfaction with their security procedures, and explaining why you have left.

Absolutely intolerable behaviour on their part; and while I don't think you're entitled to any further compensation, I don't think I would for one minute trust this bunch of cowboys with my money for one second longer. Further to all this I would copy the Financial Ombudsman Service and the FSA in on my letter; not to mention a couple of local newspapers!!

The letter should take the format:

Introduction - who you are etc.

What has happened (i.e. what they did, and on what dates; and more to the point, what they DIDN'T do - contact you).

Why you are dissatisfied with it.

What you have done as a result.