• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

voyager9 vs capital one ** Partial Win **

voyager9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

phew hope so i have done no preparing at all yet

my fault i know but i had other things going on.

am still preparing bundle anyway but just wont print untill i know.

nationwide settled in full 7/06/2007

yorkshire bank settled in full 15/06/2007

capital one filed at court 06/06/2007 acknowledged 15/6 defence received 30/6 AQ sent 2/7 with application for summary judgement--hearing date 18 sept foe defence to be struck out

cahoot filed at court 25/06/2007 to acknowledge default judgement granted 27/06###won###settled in full

HBOS filed at court acknowledged 20/06/2007 default judgement granted 16th july so won

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right had decision on application to ammend poc.

order says:

ex parte

it is ordered that

permission to amend claim form as asked with and re-service dispensed with

the hearing listed on 17th june

STILL REMAINS LISTED

so i take it new poc hasnt been served on defendant except if they have been sent a copy of this order? (it says at bottom of order application enclosed for parties) and what will the consequencies of this?

right still need to get bundle ready for 3rd june and am struggling with witness statement.

do i need to put specific arguments in ie sempra or do i just put the facts about coressponce etc since all this started?

is there a template for a cap 1 witness statement?

capital one filed at court 06/06/2007 acknowledged 15/6 defence received 30/6 AQ sent 2/7 with application for summary judgement--hearing date 18 sept foe defence to be struck out

cahoot filed at court 25/06/2007 to acknowledge default judgement granted 27/06###won###settled in full

HBOS filed at court acknowledged 20/06/2007 default judgement granted 16th july so won

I think it would be politic to ask them if they were sent a copy and send one 'for information' if not.

There is no specific Cap1 witness statement but there is a general bank one that would form a basis http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires-3.html#post482194 (it's called a statement of evidence here but it is effectively the samer thing)

Yes you should include something in it on Sempra - I suggest someting like

The Claimant submits that the Defendant would be unjustly enriched if the Claimant’s entitlement was limited to the statutory rate of simple interest. The Defendant, a powerful financial institution, has had use of the sums wrongfully and unlawfully gained by way the Charges levied to the Claimants account, over a period of several years.

The fundamental core of the Defendant’s business is to acquire funds and profit from those funds in the form of interest by lending at commercial compounded interest rates. Therefore, it is the Claimant’s submission that the sums wrongfully and unlawfully acquired from the Claimant by way of the Charges would over the considerable time they have been in the Defendant’s wrongful possession have earned considerable profit by virtue of commercial rates of compounded interest charged by the Defendant.

Lord Nichols of Birkenhead in Sempra Metals Limited (formerly Metallgesellschaft Limited) (Respondents) v. Her Majesty's Commissioners of Inland Revenue and another (Appellants), House of Lords [2007] UKHL 34 (paras 112-113) said

“If the House takes this opportunity I venture to repeat there can only be one answer on this important question of law. Nobody has suggested a good reason why, in a case like the present, an award of compound interest should be denied to a claimant. An award of compound interest is necessary to achieve full restitution and, hence, a just result. I would hold that, in the exercise of its common law restitutionary jurisdiction, the court has power to make such an award. I agree with the thrust of Mummery LJ's observations on this point in NEC Semi-Conductors Ltd v Inland Revenue Commissioners [2006] STC 606, 642-643, paras 172-175. To that extent I would depart from the decision on the Westdeutsche appeal.

“If this approach is adopted the unfortunate decision in the London, Chatham and Dover Railway case will be effectually buried in relation to the payment of interest for non-payment of a debt and in relation to the payment of interest for having the use of money in personal restitution cases. The law will achieve a principled measure of consistency between contractual obligations and restitutionary obligations. The common law in Australia has developed in this way. The common law in England should do likewise.”

(The judgement in the Westdeutsche appeal agreed in principle with the above but limited the award of compound interest to cases of fraud or breach of fiduciary duty)

Therefore for complete restitution to occur the Claimant seeks an award of compound interest at the Defendant’s unauthorised borrowing rate of XX% per annum. The Claimant submits that it is unconscionable that the Defendant may be allowed to profit in any way from unlawful, wrongful and unauthorised use of the Claimants funds, and that compound interest at the rate claimed is necessary to provide an equitable remedy.

Edited by steven4064
Formatting

thanks for that steven,

i will do that, does anyone have a phone no for legal services i cant read the one they have put on acknowledgement?

steven what are the chances they will settle before court, has it been known to happen?

thanks voyager

right steven, thanks

have just contacted the court and was told they have sent a copy to the defendant ,so i think i will leave just fax a copy as well just to be on safe side.:D

lets hope they will settle now lol.

i am on holiday 7th till 14th hearing on 17th so i hope if they do its before i go away so i can notify the court.:rolleyes:

voyager

Even if they do settle before you go away, don't discontinue the claim till they have paid in full and the money is cleared in your bank. They have a nasty habit of telling the court they've settled, before they have actually paid you. Remember it is up to you to discontinue the claim, not them. Its your claim, not theirs.

hi wendyb

dont worry wont discontinue untill i have hard cash lol

i just have a niggling feeling they wont settle and will turn up at hearing, it will be just my luck lol:(

they only have 3 weeks and 4 days untill hearing.

anyway have done bundle now just need to get some ink and paper today and print off, will deliver by hand to court monday and send to cap 1 special delivery.

thanks everyone for your help and wish me luck , i have a feeling i will b****y need it lol.:eek:

voyager9

well bundles delivered , but still not a peep from cap1 they have till tuesday to deliver their bundle.

2 weeks and 3 days till hearing wonder what they are playing at, the silence is deafening.

voyager9

Now the wait. Check your account online everyday if you are still able to. They normally pay out before you get the letter.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

hi ukavaiator,

they cant credit the account as it has been closed for a long while, so am afraid it has to be a cheque. just hope it comes before i go away on 7th lol.

Oh i see, let's hope it does then . .

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

right, should have received bundle today, hearing in 14 days.

no bundle and no payment.

hae tried ring them but got no where apparantly they dont have any numbers for legal dept, what now have tried ringing no on acknowledgement but carolyn parsons no longer works their ,

voyager9

have just phoned court and they have just received a 22 page fax which is a response to my amended claim but court have not received bundle either, no doubt the 22 pages will include halliday v hbos .

i have seen a bundle non compliance letter somewhere but cant fing it can anyone point me in right direction?

looks like i will have my day in court.

thanks dolly, however the court and myself have just received the bundles by courier, looks like they are going to defend this, as i thought they are relying on halliday but on the basis that sempra doent apply because the default sums were charged TO the credit account, rather than debited from a credit ballance. oh and they have finally provided proof that the other charges were credited to the account(why they didnt send this months ago i dont know) ang have sent cheque for £10 sars request fee so it is just the interest now and looks like they gonna take it all the way

voyager

just received an amended defence from cap 1, they are contending that haliday v hbos is relevant and say they will produce legal argument as to why sempra metals doesnt apply and also say this is not a restitution claim.

so looks like they are def up for appearing and are going to fight it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Voyager,

Have you received any more information from Cap One regarding their arguments against Sempra.

I have a claim runninmg through at the moment ( details of my claim are on another website ). I am claiming Compound Interest and using Sempra. I have a hearing on 18th June to hear my application to dismiss thier original defence. They have submitted a witness statement, attempting to get my application dismissed and also requested permission to submit a revised defence ( total idiots !!! ).

In their witness statement they made mention of producing possible arguments against Sempra so would appreciate knowing if they have provided you with any further details.

Budgie

hi budgie , thanks for the pm.

been on holiday just got back , nothing in post, hearing it is.

thats the funny thing they hav`nt stated what these arguments are ,all it says is

17. the claimants claim for compounded contractual interest at par 20 of the poc are denied.the defendant denies that the claimant is entitled to seek compound interest on the default fees,which were incurred by the claimant when he breached the t&c`s of his credit agreement.the claimants t&c`s set out the interest applicable to his card.there is contained in the terms and conditions that entitle the claimant to claim compound rate of interest.this claim is not a restitution claim.further the claimant has not provided any evidence that the defendant has been unjustly enriched.

18. it is denied that the instant case should be distinguished from the case of halliday.this is a case where statutary interest is the correct interest to be used and which has already been refunded in full.

19. it is denied the defendant has been unjustly enriched and it is denied that this is a claim for restition or a claim where payment of compound interest is required to acheive full restitution.the claimant has not pleaded any loss suffered and is put to strict proof if he intends to claim such.statutary interest at 8% is the appropriate interest to compensate the claimant and has already been refunded.the defendant shall present legal arguments on the case of sempra metals v inland revenue at the hearing of this claim as this is not appropriate tp plead in the defence.

this is only an amended defence in responce to my amended poc which i applied to amend and was granted and further re-service dispensed with.

they neither have permission for this ammended defence or have even made an application for it, so i am tinking od first off asking the judge to dis-allow this defence as no application or order was made to amend the defence?

will let you know tommorow what happens

LOL, Voyager,

That's virtually identical to what they have put in the amended defence they have submitted to the Court in respect of my claim.

Am very interested to see how you get on tomorrow and wish you all the best. If you like I will PM you my mobile number in case you need someone to chat with during the day.

Regards Budgie

case dismissed.

they are argueing because its charges based through a contract restitutution doesnt apply unless you can show that the payments were taken unlawfully( wasnt having oft stuff unfair doesnt mean unlawfull was what judge said) or was paid by a mistake in the legal context what ever that means, paying because you thought they were fair and reasonable etc does not do it as a legal mistake apparantly .

i dont know i dont feel i was well enough prepared but then again didnt know what their legal arguments was going to be , you never know if you make sure your arguments on unlawfullness and/or legal mistake is strong you may still have a chance but as i say i feel i let myself down.

unless you can proove beyond a doubt either of the two things then you dont have a case for restitution.

but at least i still got charges + 8% + all purchase interest paid on account so guess its still a win of sorts.

good luck with your claims

voyager

oh by the way the judge rejected theit argument that there was no case to answer because its a contractual issue but i still had to proove the other issues which i failed to do.

Hiya Voyager,

Sorry to hear it didnt go totally your way today.

Can you let me have a few more details.

Did you get the opportunity to argue both the penalty aspects under common law and the UTCCR 1999 aspects.

It looks as though Cap One cocentrated more on the restituion side of things and used this the fact that they were prepared to refund the charges on a goodwill basis to befuddle the Judge. As much detail as you can provide would be useful.

You say that your claim was dismissed. I presume that your claim for compound interest was dismissed. How did it come about that Cap One would be paying you what you have stated. Did they make this offer to you in front of the Judge or before you went in?

Regards Budgie