advice needed,on so many debt collectors after me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone,

ive just got of the phone to trading standards, i feel quite upset to be honest he wasent much help at all, he told me it doesent matter if the debt was sold on to lowells, i should of sent the request for my cca to capital one and not lowells, he said (john harris) that there is nothing they can do.

i told him, what about the phone calls to my parents house, telling them i owe money-surly thats not aloud, he said hes unsure on that. (even i know that they ent ment to do that!!) and about the threatening letters i get from both lowells and hamptons, he basicaly said they are doing there jobs.

i felt like bursting into tears.

the man, said,at the end of the day, i do owe the money so why request a copy of my credit agreement in the first place.

i read other peoples threads on this site,and how trading standards are interested in there cases and are helping them, but i was just made to feel so small,

so i guess i have to start all again, and send a cca letter to capital one. xxx

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Mich I am so sorry you got this response and feel so upset :(

I wonder if he was a junior member of staff who didn't know quite what he was talking about - it strikes me as strange that he said he was "unsure" about the phone calls to your parents house :???:

It may be best to put your complaint in writing Mich, and mark it for the attention of a Senior TS Officer, that way at least someone will look at it (hopefully) with a bit more knowledge.

I'm sure some of your friends on here will come back to you when they see this with more advice, but I just wanted to send you a feel better cyber-hug. I know how wound up and upset I felt the other day after my run-in with Alliance & Leicester so I do know how you feel.

(((cyber hugs)))

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

thanks for that mate, honestly that is what he said, i felt so stupid on the phone, especialy when he aked why i wanted a copy of my credit agreement when i know the debt excists.

i told the bloke, they sent me my application form instead, he dident seem that interested, he said i should get intouch with citizens advice becouse they know more on the subject then trading standards do, i said, citizens advice closed my file, becouse i took another loan out with provident last year.

the bloke went on to tell me there are lots of debt help lines out there who will help me, i told him about this web site, he said he had never heard of it, so i suggested he logged on some time.

he said to keep his number, and if capital one carry on the same, then they might be able to help,thats only if they do, do some thing wrong. xx

:( is he an X dca????

ditto the cyber hugs mich;)

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

then put everything in a written complaint to TS - also put in that you are requesting the CCA to ensure that you are being LEGALLY chased for payment.

they cant argue with that.

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

Just subscribing, it sounds as if you've had a rough deal. At least when everything is in writing it looks more formal. With all the correspondence included it would be hard for them to ignore 'hard' evidence.

Good luck and best wishes :wink:

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Mich

I think TS offices are part of your local council (usually the County Council, but it depends on your area). Find out which it is, and then copy your letter to the TS to your local county or local councillor - you know the guy who appears with a red/blue/yellow flower around the May elections and then disappears. Your local library or council offices should have the name and contact details.

Local councillors usually take on small personal cases especially when all they have to do is get the council officers off their backsides!

keep smiling.

:)

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Mich

I used to live where you do now and following a matter a number of years ago, I had cause to contact TS.

They were unhelpful, rude and quite frankly, they didn't care about my issue, they basically told me they had bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't take it personally, Glos trading standards have always been pretty shody in my experience and I certain that should you wish to, you may get some better advice from the local councellor, having been recently elected (or maybe not as some areas of Glos didn't have a local election in May) they may be willing to help you to get your vote for next year!!

Feel free to drop me a PM if I can help you in any way at all, even if if it just a vent!

TF x

• Haha 1

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

Trading standards in general are pretty shoddy. i took a complaint to them about my car being repossessed illegally. the lady i spoke to was very nice but her advice was just to leave it as they might pursue me for the money i owed to them. she basically ignored the law and told me that it was unfortunate but just to let it go.

I have now taken the company in question to court and have a court date of 14th september. they have offered me an out of court settlement of £2000 which i have declined.

I am confident i can win this case or at least reach an out of court settlement close to the amount i want to claim. when i do, i will be passing the details on to trading standards in the hope that they don't put other people off in they way they did me.

Good luck

• Haha 1

Hi Mich, so glad to see you have plenty of support, and thanks for replying to my mail:)

So sorry that TS acted the way they did, it's shameful! Like everyone else has said, don't let one persons lack of knowledge put you off. You are doing great! Hope you are feeling brighter and more positive now XX

Good luck and keep us updated.

Good luck also to you fairclaire:D

• Haha 1

thank you everyone for your support,i realy do apprictate it :D ,

i was reading with interest about others who have had not much luck with trading standards, so im thinking maybe i shall give my local councellor a try,getting his/her name and address would not be a problem,its what i write in the letter i havent a clue what to put, any suggestions i would be very greatful for.

and is it my district councillor or my county councillor i need to contact, i just went on a web site called writetothem.com, and it gave me a list of councillors for my area, but when i clicked on reasons they might be able to help you, disputes with companies etc that sort of thing wasent on there, it was more genaral sort of things

many thanks again michelle xx

Hi Mich, I don't really have any knowledge on this but I did go have a read of the site. It does seem that local councillors list general things like housing, taxes, planning, education etc as their responsibilities. Maybe a phone call or email to your county councillor to enquire just who to direct your complaint to would help? Also it does state:

Don't worry if you're not absolutely sure who to pick! Whoever you write to will be able to forward your letter to the most appropriate person if you haven't got it quite right.
:)

How are all your other disputes going? Heard anything yet? Did you CCA Cap1 after?

thanks for replying mate, :)

i have today sent the s.a.r letter to vertbaudet and the cca request to c.a.r (vanquis) and a letter to the debt collectors dealing with the vertbaudet catalog, to tell them ive s.a.r verbaudet, becouse i believe the debt to be made up of unfair charges, so there for im in disput with them.

im gonna look more into contacting the councillor, il do it thru that web site, and wait and see if i get a responce,

big thanks for all your support and advice michelle xx

Michelle, I take my hat off to you in acknowledgement of what you have achieved in the last three months!

OK, you've had loads of good advice from this site but it takes a spunky girl like you to see it through and I admire you. Hope your Dad's recovering - I am almost his age.

If I may, having read all 14 pages of your thread in one session, and have been where you were on March 31, I'd like to just offer a few thoughts which may, or may not, ease some of the stress I sense in some of your postings.

First of all, remember there are four types of 'institution' out there all trying to grab a bit of your income:

- the companies that allege you own them money;

- the debt collection agencies they engage to get it out of you;

- the **** that buy what they coyly term a 'tranche of debt' for anything

between 2% and 15% of the face value;

- the truly horrific solicitors the latter often employ on in house contracts.

If, for the moment, we exclude the original holder of the alleged debt just take a moment to think of the individuals, male or female, that are employed by the others.

They almost inevitably work on commission and in some cases work in India.

Strangely enough, they are some of the best to deal with because they are cultured - frequently graduated - and inherently courteous individuals. The worst - in my experience - are the raw spoken Glaswegians and their ilk.

The DCAs works purely on commission - too much hassle from you and they'll bunt the debt back to the alleged owner.

The debt purchaser is trouble. One of the largest companies is Cattles plc. You are obviously computer literate, so Google them - look at their annual report, after all they are quoted on the FTSE 250, and see what their CEO earns - I'd share his basic salary (£500k I think) with you and even cut your children in!

Every so squeaky clean, Michelle, but they own the Lewis Group (among others) that buys debt. To distance themselves still further the ever so kosher law firm of Howard Cohen & Co has a 'branch' in their offices in Batley.

Snouts in troughs all round. Indeed, I read on this very site Howard Cohen himself has left H.C. & Co. and joined another firm in Leeds.

These are the danger ones. Google 'Howard Cohen' and see what comes up.

Not a mention of their disgusting activities. (Don't get mixed up with Dr. Howard Cohen, muhl to Jewish gentry which may come up first!)

By now you must be wondering what my points are.

a) Avoid alienating individual employees. Those that work for the companies

you are dealing with can be very vindictive an 'aciddently' break the

rules.

b) My experience of Trading Office personnel (in a county adjacent to

yours) is they are total Jobsworths enjoying secure employment until

their gold plated pension comes into effect.

c) Your local councillor could prove helpful. My wife and I are lucky in that

we have an Independent.

d) Once you have sorted out - to your satisfaction and nobody else's -

what you legitimately owe and to whom do please go to the CCCS which

is mentioned on your thread.

e) Give them the facts: I owe £xxxx to A, B, C et al;

My income is £xxxx per month;

My expenditure on A, B, C, et al is £xxx per month.

f) They are a registered charity. they make no charge for their services,

and are totally non-judgemental.

g) They will, in fact, propose a Debt Management Programme if you can

afford a minimum of £5.00 per month to each agreed creditor - be it an

alleged creditor or a DCA - and make the payments for you.

Michelle, remember I'm virtually your Dad's age, and the CCCS have certainly (so far!) saved me from bankruptcy.

Hope this somewhat alternative thinking helps a bit.

Regards to Dad.

Vandermerwe

• Haha 1

thank you for replying,your support is worth alot!

last week i recieved a letter from c.a.r.s, they reckon some one was gonna come round my house on thursday,( i presume they ment thursday just gone, i recieved the letter wenseday, there was no date)

no one came.....

i have sent them a cca letter and also sent one to the original debtor vanquis,(over a week ago)

they have both started calling my house, vanquis every now and then, c.a.r.s about 10 times a day. thankfuly i have caller id on my phone,so i dont answer it, the odd occation i did when they asked for me, i made out i wasent in. (fair play they are very rude!)

i notice in the letter c.a.r.s, they say i must call this special number,which is there "field agent department" by phoning these people and talking with them they wont come out.

this number they reckon is a special designated number for these call out people,

its not, its there standard number i have all both letters i have from them.

im beging to realise most of these debt collectors are quite a joke, and im starting to have a laugh at them now. xx

Hiya Mich

I'm glad you can smile about these moron DCAs now :D

They are full of empty threats! If someone does turn up at your door you should ask to see the Court Order giving him the right to turn up like that...which he will not have of course ...and then when he says he hasn't got one and just wants to "come in for a chat", threaten to call the police as he is trespassing on your property and shut the door in his face!

It makes me so mad - the veiled threat about the "field agent department" for example :-x there are so many people out there who don't know about this site and will be bullied into paying up because they are so frightened by this kind of thing.

Love Spiritgirl x

• Haha 1

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Mich... as you have caller i.d..... start making a log of all calls made to your home by time and date, whether you answer them or not.

I did this recently with one of mine... and would have let it continue, but I have other things going on in my life right now and it became too stressful. After sending a bog off special :D .... outlining the log, they have since run for the hills and I haven't heard a peep for weeks !

It's good ammunition.... for all kinds of reasons. ;)

• Haha 1

There are two lines of approach in respect of either stopping the calls or allowing them to continue as you suggest; if you allow them to continue and ensure that you collect all the data (recordings, letters, visits) they this will be viewed by the court as harassment.

You should be able to demonstrate breach of (i) the Administration of Justices Act 1970 (S.40) which makes it a criminal offense for a creditor or creditor’s agent (i.e. debt collection agency) to make demands (for money), which are aimed at causing “alarm, distress or humiliation, because of their frequency or publicity or manner”. Equally a creditor will be committing an offense if they falsely imply that non-payment of the debt will lead to criminal proceedings; or the creditor pretends to be someone they are not. And (ii) the Protection of Harassment Act 1998 that provides provisions in terms of debt collection harassment. This act is clear in that it is a criminal offence for any person to pursue a course of action “which they know, or ought to know, amounts to harassment of another person”.

I had to get them stopped since they were driving my wife crazy and we have a baby and we just hated answering the phone. My DCA's have sent enough threatening letters anyway despite paying them, they just issue them as confetti, a bit like e-mail spam.

• Haha 2

Hi Mich, so glad to hear these bullies are making you laugh now :D There's some great advice there from Monty and PO (love that idea PO!:) ) worth following.

My head's a bit sore from yesterday's Welsh meet, so I'm just tentatively getting round the threads today :-o LOL:D

Just shout (but not too loud;) ) if you need anything and keep up the fight!

S.A xx