• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

advice needed,on so many debt collectors after me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you take out cover on an item such as a fridge or washing machine? Or is it general cover for anything you order eg in case it gets lost or something?

If you're not able/likely to use it, i would cancel it with immediate effect. If you are over your limit, it is probably invalid anyway becasue you are not making any payment towards it.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Hya guys, after checking out their website, it seems that Vertbaudet's total cover is supplied by Redcats (Brands) Limited, and it just so happens I have a copy of their total cover policy.... I have underlined the points that interested me..

What is Total Cover?

Total cover comprises of two seperate elements:

Merchandise cover; and

Payment Protection Insurance.

What is merchandise cover?

Merchandise cover provides insurance to protect most purchases that you make from our catalogue for a 3 year period against the following risks:

Accidental damage

Theft

Miscellaneous damage

(as usual there are conditions that apply to the above)

What is Payment protection insurance?

PPI is designed to meet your personal account minimum payments in the event of unemployment or disability, and may clear your balance in the event of your death...blah blah blah etc...

What are the risks?

Cover will be cancelled if you do not maintain the premium payments when they are due

In the seperate booklet I have it states under the payment protection section:

ENDING YOUR COVERAGE

This certificate will end automatically on whichever of the following happens first:

If your account is in arrears for more than 12 consecutive weeks ;

the date of your death;

the date your agreement is cancelled or terminated;

the date you or we cancel the cover;you reaching the age of 86

Under the Purchase Protection (certificate of insurance) it states:

ENDING YOUR COVERAGE

Your coverage under this certificate will end on the earliest of the following dates:

The date when you have missed paying 3 premiums; or

the date your lender issues you with a letter of foreclosure; or

the date when the last premium was paid when you cancel this certificate; or

the 90th day after we cancel this certificate; or

36 months from the date on which the item was purchased.

I would assume that this is the same as, or very similar to your cover Mich, and they have covered themselves regarding taking the payments from you after you stopped paying:cry: ...they haven't charged you after 3 months from your last payment so I would also assume they cancelled the cover after that.

If you didn't request or need Total Cover then you can complain and request all your payments back. Their address is:

Redcats (Brands) Limited Complaints Department,

Horbury Road,

Wakefield,

West Yorkshire,

WF2 8QT

YOu can request from Vertbaudet a copy of their total cover policy, I tried to find info on it on their website but it wasn't even mentioned.. have a read of their T&C's here Vertbaudet what I found interesting is that they state " Payments you make will first be applied to charges and insurance before being used to reduce your outstanding balance." ...the term insurance is used automatically, which makes me think that maybe they did add the insurance without asking:? (just my opinion)

I also think now that 'adjustment' mentioned in the statements is the total cover premium charged, as thats how it appears on my statements from my current catalogue.

Hope this helps:)

;Payments you make will first be applied to charges and insurance before being used to reduce your outstanding balance."

If I was Mich, I would be tempted to enclose the token payment with a letter stating that.... all payments are to be applied to the outstanding balance on my account and not used to reduce any adjustments and/or total cover, as applied by yourselves.

.... and then enclose a breakdown of the true outstanding balance... according to past statements, with all these fancy charges deducted from it. :evil:

If Total Cover applies to unemployment insurance, then you should have been asked whether you needed this when you opened the account. If you weren't working, then there would have been no point.... and if you weren't working.... you should be able to send something in to back that up, if necessary.

If I was Mich, I would be tempted to enclose the token payment with a letter stating that.... all payments are to be applied to the outstanding balance on my account and not used to reduce any adjustments and/or total cover, as applied by yourselves.

.... and then enclose a breakdown of the true outstanding balance... according to past statements, with all these fancy charges deducted from it. :evil:

If Total Cover applies to unemployment insurance, then you should have been asked whether you needed this when you opened the account. If you weren't working, then there would have been no point.... and if you weren't working.... you should be able to send something in to back that up, if necessary.

Yes, totally agree, it does state in the policy that it applies to unemployment insurance, in both PPI and Purchase Protection.

The only reference to not working is:

What if I don't work- does it cover my partner/spouse?

Merchandise cover:

You do not need to be in work to make a claim.

Payment Protection:

If you don't work, your spouse may be able to claim subject to certain eligibilty criteria outlined in the terms and conditions document.

It also states that "The premium is a percentage of your outstanding personal account balance" so not only do you pay insurance on the price of the goods, you also pay it on the price of their charges and interest!:evil:

• Haha 1

These things annoy me so much.... :mad:

You don't need all of these flowery extras anyway.... if something is faulty/breaks, then it gets sent back anyway and, if Mich is a lone parent.... what good would PPI be ?

If the premiums have been added as a percentage of a balance containing unlawful charges, then IMO they're bumping up their profits on the sly.

Mich... are you able to calulate the true outstanding balance, minus all these charges ?

• Haha 1

Thanks for the PM

Sorry ive not been around but glad to see PO is still about as usual helping everyone.

im back and im ready to help!

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

These things annoy me so much.... :mad:

You don't need all of these flowery extras anyway.... if something is faulty/breaks, then it gets sent back anyway and, if Mich is a lone parent.... what good would PPI be ?

If the premiums have been added as a percentage of a balance containing unlawful charges, then IMO they're bumping up their profits on the sly.

Mich... are you able to calulate the true outstanding balance, minus all these charges ?

hi priority one, thank you for replying

when you say add up the account minus the charges , do you mean charges, like insurence, the adjustments total and the 2 late payment charges ??? (sorry im in a right muddle with this). xx

hi everyone,

i today recieved a phone call from the bloke at trading standards, ( yes.....the same bloke who told me he couldent help me, the same bloke who told me if im debtwith a company why should i request a copy of my credit agreement in the first place)

he phoned to ask have i sent him any info in the post regarding lowells, i said no, you wasent interested.

he said, did i recieve my copy of my credit agreement in the end, i said no, i havent heard nothing from them in a while. i then told him

i have sent info on to office of fair trading,after they sent me a letter showing much interest in my situation.

oh he said, then they must have a interest in that company.

he went on to say i should call them to find out what was going on,

and i should keep his number just in case i need any advice in the future.

how weird was that! xx

Hi Mich. I would certainly deduct charges and 'adjustments' (aka charges) first. I would then write to cancel the PPI (can't remember if you've done that already). If you don't remember agreeing to it i would try to reclaim that back seperately.

All just a humble not very experienced opinion of course :p

• Haha 1

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

mich, well, don't you just feel better about your first contact with Mr TS;)

Complain complain and complain some:p more:)

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

hi priority one, thank you for replying

when you say add up the account minus the charges , do you mean charges, like insurence, the adjustments total and the 2 late payment charges ??? (sorry im in a right muddle with this). xx

Minus all the charges from the amount that you actually owe.... like insurance, adjustments, late payment charges... yes, those nasties.

:)

hi again....

what i deducted was the insurence repayments/adjustments and the two late payment charges (they were more then two late payments i made, but it seems i was only charged just twice for them) xx

Dear xxxx

Account Ref. xxxxxx

I enclose a cheque for £x; representing my payment for August.

Please note that all payments are to be applied to the true outstanding balance on my account and not used to reduce any adjustments and/or total cover charges, as applied by yourselves.

I have calculated this balance to be £1,311.36 only.

Your confirmation would be appreciated.

Yours sincerely/faithfully,

:)

• 4 months later...

Good morning Emmasgirl.

I agree entirely. It is so frustrating when an interesting thread just ceases.

I can think of several others and if, and when, a moderator can spare a moment I'm sure you and I plus many others would appreciate a comment.

Vandermerve

(aka as Emma's father who has just given her mother and me a wonderful Christmas)

Good morning Van and Emmasgirl. :)

I think the main reason the thread has come to a standstill is because for whatever reason the person who started the thread has not posted on the the site since the beginning of November. Maybe she has resolved her problems now and has not got around to updating her thread. I hope she has resolved her problems!:D Although it would be great to get an update!

Glad you had a good Christmas Van and I hope mrs Van is well!:D

hi everyone, every thing is pretty much the same,i only hear from about 2 debt collectors now, one to say they are still chasing up getting a copy of my credit agreement (that was for citi cards) lol, it makes me laugh becouse it was all the way back in april i requested it! some how i dont think they got it.

the debt i had with capital one, it turns out was made up of all unfair charges plus there was extra they owed me, i had a company who claims it back for you, sort it out for me, just as it was about to be took to court they wrote a letter to say, they will use the money to pay of the out standing debt i have with them, and give me the rest back! but they havent told the debt collector acting for them, so i am still recieveing court threatening letters from them,which reminds me i really should write them a letter,and tell them to go and have words with capital one!

im still thinking what to do with the unfair charges citi have chrged me.... do i try claim them back myself or have this reclaim company do it for me, the debt i have with citi is far greater then the unfair charges, so i dont want them useing it to pay of part of the out standing debt, and have nothing to pay the reclaims company. i know you guys on this wonderful web site will be with me every step of the way, but i am still quite nervous.

a big thank you again for all you fantastic people who has helped me along the way, so much has been sorted out this year, and ive become more confident for it,im not afraid anymore it really is quite a amazing feeling, its so refreshing to know that there are people like you lot in this world who care and want to help others. THANK YOU! XXXXXXXX

Thanks for good wishes Freaky.

We had a good time at our daughter and son-in-law's place (plus our two grandchildren and three dogs).

Hardly restful but it did Mrs. V. good to get out of the house for the first time since her stroke - but Sod and his Law struck and gave us both stonking coughs and colds.

But God Bless our daughter.

Good time too in the FL household I trust? And all the very best to you for 2008.

Emma's Dad (ala Vandermerve)

i had a company who claims it back for you, sort it out for me, just as it was about to be took to court they wrote a letter to say, they will use the money to pay of the out standing debt i have with them, and give me the rest back! but they havent told the debt collector acting for them, so i am still recieveing court threatening letters from them,which reminds me i really should write them a letter,and tell them to go and have words with capital one!

Hi again Mich

Lovely to hear from you, and I'm glad things have settled down for you.:D

I personally wouldn't bother writing to them and reminding them of anything - if the DCA is stupid enough to take this to court when it has already been sorted out and settled, then they are going to make absolute prats of themselves and Crapital One :p

As long as you have written evidence from the company who sorted it all out for you that it has definitely been settled, imagine how delightful it would be to submit a copy of that same letter to the court at a later date IF the bozo DCA starts proceedings, and show CrapOne and their DCA up for their incompetence and poor communication!!:lol:

Maybe I am being a bit naughty here, and the polite thing to do is to let them know its been settled, I wonder what others think????

To be honest the way the DCAs treat us, why should we help them in any way at all??

Have a lovely New Year Mich

Love & Cyber Hugs

SG x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.