MacBoy Vs. Halifax and Hello To the Group!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-) Hello everybody

I'm just about to start a claim against the the Halifax for a current account that goes back almost 17 years with them (although I know that I am probably going to be limited to the last 6 of those.

I no longer bank with them as I moved to the A&L over a year ago (I am also considering claiming against them next to but that's another story!). I want to ask a question - although the current account I am about to start the claim for is long closed, I have a credit card with them that has a high balance, but is in good standing (although I have been subjected to penalty charges on this in the past too). Should I:

1) Claim for both now

2) Start out with just the current account (I am guessing that they might take some retaliatory action involving the card anyway even though the account is in good standing)

3) If I do go down the 'both' route, would it need to be a separate action?

I am obviously new to all this so am hoping that the 'old hands' on here will be able to help guide me! Thank you in advance!

Regards

Mac

• Haha 3
  • 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Milestone Diary Entry No. 1

Saturday 31st March 2007

Decided to take sea-sidelady's advice and go for credit card on the same application as current account.

Still a little worried that I have a fairly high-balance on the card with them though (although this is in good standing) and that they may try and use this as leverage in some way. Posted SAR to Halifax.

Wish me luck! :D

• Haha 1
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Hiya MacBoy,

Yes you can claim on both. But as 1 is a credit card keep them as seperate claims.

As it takes up to 40 days for SARS you might as well send for both. You can put the 2 account numbers on the 1 request, so it will only cost £10 for both.

They are not allowed to take retaliatory action.

If you need any advice or just have any quieries, just shout. There is always some one around.

• Haha 1

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

sea-sidelady

Thanks for the advice. Hihihihi... I must be getting 'Compo Fever' today - also just decided to fire off a missive to Portman BS too, to try for a refund on an over-inflated exit fee I paid at the back end if last year...I like this, it's energising :D;)

PS Bankfodder - If you're reading this I tried to respond to your request in the sticky for volunteers for the media project on mortgage exit fees; but just got a mailbounce - PM me if you need me, I'd be happy to help.

Write to your MP and

And anything else you can think of.....go for it..:D :D

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 4 weeks later...

Small update:

Got £104 back from the Portman within 4 days of sending the letter :D

Appealed a parking ticket the same day too and had that cancelled!

Still nothing from the Halifax though - their 40 days is up 10th May and have heard nothing from them by way of acknowledgment - sent the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter 31/03). Is this normal?

Thx

Mac

Write to your MP and

They are known for taking their time. But if you do hit the 40 days with no statements then send the non compliance letter.....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

F&Q's... Read here

I'm just about to start a claim against the the Halifax for a current account that goes back almost 17 years with them (although I know that I am probably going to be limited to the last 6 of those.

I hope you can claim beyond 6 years. Whilst 17 years is a long time and you might struggle to get your statements - you should definitely give it a go.

You should consider estimating the costs if you can't get the statements.

Good luck anyway....

• Haha 1

littlejam
vs
Halifax

16/04/2007
Decide to claim. S.A.R not required as all my bank statements kept on file at home. Decide to claim for all unlawful charges since August 1997. Totals £3095.

17/04/2007
Parachute account opened with Barclays
18/04/2007
PRELIM letter sent by recorded delivery.

19/04/2007
Royal Mail confirms delivery
24/04/2007
Halifax replies with standard letter (dated 21/04/07) saying they have 8 weeks to reply.

25/04/2007
Stage 2 LBA letter sent by recorded delivery giving them 14 days to comply.
15/05/2007
Initial reply from Halifax saying they will reply no later than 18th June 2007.

11/06/2007
Standard letter received from Halifax disagreeing with my argument against charges.

25/06/2007 Filed small claim for charges at Lambeth County Court - awaiting return of N1 form.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses, sea-sidelady. littlejam... I'll keep you up to speed with my progress :D

Regards

Mac

Write to your MP and

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Monday, 7th May 2007

Well, after having sent the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on 31st March, the clock is ticking inexorably towards the deadline, this Thursday 10th May - and not a peep from the Halifax. Have prepared the Letter Before Action (Data Protection Act Non-Compliance Template No. 3 from the library) and shall be sending this if nothing has arrived by the deadline.

I have decided that in addition to the DSAR team, I shall copy in Legal Services and Customer Relations this time (unless anyone has advice to the contrary).

Quick question - per sea-sidelady's kind advice, I have detailed my current account and credit card claims on the same initial letter, to save an extra £10. I've since realised that as I've been with the bank for a number of years, the card has been changed/upgraded etc. over time, there are additional account numbers.

Assuming that the Halifax will do the absolute minimum and stick to the letter of my claim (and they've never surprised me in this respect before :D), do I need to either:

a) state in this next (and future) letters that the claim also applies to all predecessor Visa accounts?

b) issue fresh claims for the acccount numbers not covered by the first?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks as always

Mac

Write to your MP and

Useful Info

Wednesday, 9th May 2007

Reading through the thread, you'll know that I'm approaching the end of the 40-day S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) compliance period for my claim against the Halifax. Having heard not a peep, I thought I'd give them quick, polite courtesy call today, to see if I could establish a reason for the delay before further progressing my claim.

After 20 mins or so of switchboard hell and being put through to the wrong people, I spoke to someone in Legal Services who said 'Oh we don't deal with that sort of thing here, but please call this number - 01422 391152.'

Just to warn people, this number contains a recorded message that merely says 'if you are callng regarding a Subject Access Request, please note that this should be with you within the next 40 Day given period.' The message repeats, then after approx. 2.5 mins the line disconnects.

Hopefully this will prevent anyone else going through this absolutely meaningless, useless and shameless fob-off.

No more well-intentioned attempts at dialogue. I'm preparing Non-Compliance as I post :grin:

Regards

Mac

Write to your MP and

First thing in the morning. (obviously after postie....just in case;) )

Hopefully you will get them soon.

F&Q's... Read here

Milestone Diary Entry No. 2

Saturday 12th May 2007

The 40-Day period has now elapsed. I have heard nothing. I have tried to reach Halifax by phone to ascertain the whereabouts of my claim. After much wasted effort, I did manage to get to speak to someone in 'Customer Care' (apparently different than 'Customer Relations'). :rolleyes: I wrote a separate post about it so won't go into detail here.

I have sent a letter giving them seven days in which to respond in order to establish what has happened. It carries a threat of further action if they don't. I'll update you on progress hopefully next week.

Regards and have a good weekend!

Mac

Write to your MP and

Update

Thursday, 17th May 2007

The seven days given to Halifax to find and acknowledge receipt of my earlier claim expires tomorrow. Nothing yet. This worries me as I have just tried Track and Trace at Royal Mail Online and they have no information yet :( Am getting a little suspicious now.

Write to your MP and

• 2 weeks later...

Milestone Diary Entry No. 3

Saturday 26th May 2007

Have FINALLY received acknowledgment of my claim. In a letter dated over a week ago (but which only arrived this morning), the Halifax wrote as follows:

Dear Mr MacBoy

Further to your letter I am pleased to confirm the information you requested has now been ordered. Once these documents are ready they will be sent direct to you.

In relation to your request for information about any manual intervention on your acccounts, as the Halifax is not required to record this information I am afraid I am unable to assist you further with this request. (Significant?)

In your original letter you enclosed a payment of £10. As the Halifax has decided not to charge a fee for requests such as this, I have cancelled your cheque for £10 as a refund (er, how can you do that when I now bank with the A&L)?

Details of how we make use of your personal information can be found at Halifax - Privacy. The registered data protection notification details can be found at ICO – Information Commissioner's Office. If you have any difficulties accessing either of these pieces of information please let me know and I will be happy to forward you a printed copy of either document.

Yours etc..

A fairly garbled letter littered with punctuation errors which I haven't reproduced here for ease of reading. I would be happy to get feedback from the group about the above gratefull received; otherwise I shall sit and wait.

Regards

Mac

Write to your MP and

Stranger and stranger - despite the fact that they say they 'cancelled' my cheque (implying that they weren't going charge the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) fee)....they did!!

Just looked at my bank statement online (I bank with A&L these days, not the Halifax) they cashed my cheque yesterday :D One wonders whether the left hand knows what the right hand is doing in this organisation :rolleyes:

Write to your MP and

It's not a matter of wondering, the more I learn about banking the more I know the left doesn't know what right is doing :D

Good luck and hollar if you need anymore help, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction :)

Thanks for the click ;)

Thanks for the click ;)

No worries, thenks for the help :cool:

Write to your MP and

Update

Wednesday, 30th May 2007

Previous readers (you know who you are ;) ) will recall that I have had to send the Halifax several initial S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Request letters after they ignored both the 40 day deadline and a subsequent 7 day LBA (or were overwhelmed with work - I'm not going to stoop to their level and assume that they were witholding maliciously, but after 17 years with them I wouldn't put it past them :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, I finally got a letter at the weekend acknowledging my claim and informing me that my information will be with me soon and they had 'generously' waived the £10 fee.

Well, to my surprise and shock I got ANOTHER letter this morning (this time with a HBOS letterhead not Halifax), again acknowledging my claim but mentioning nothing of a refund (which does stack up as one of the cheques has actually cleared my bank account).

What are they playing at? is this a genuine error arising from the fact I sent more than one letter, or a case of left hand/right hand mutual ignorance; or are they really playing confusion tactics to divide and rule?

Can anyone see any potential problems arising from this? And should I seek to clarify things for them, or will this only make things worse?

Thanks

Mac

Write to your MP and

Hmmmm seems a little odd. I have started getting HBOS headed paper too.

I have no idea of what you should do next, but this post will hopfully bump it for someone else to offer advice.

Congrats on the money anyway :D

Hmmmm seems a little odd. I have started getting HBOS headed paper too.

I have no idea of what you should do next, but this post will hopfully bump it for someone else to offer advice.

Congrats on the money anyway :D

The Halifax don't seem to communicate, department to department, however to protect yourself from possible repercussions with your credit card, send a CCA request. I doubt very much they can provide an agreement

I had no problem reclaiming charges, although not a large amount, but stick to the timetable outlined on this forum.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Closer inspection and comparison of the two letters reveals that they each have a different reference number - indicating that perhaps the 'cock-up theory' is correct.

However, one letter (the 'Halifax' one) has my account numbers and the other (the 'HBOS' one) merely refers to 'Your request for information about your account(s).

Mac

Write to your MP and

Milestone Diary Entry No. 4

Monday 4th June 2007

Current account statements arrived today. Initial count (I will double check) reveal £1721 before interest, for 5 years of statements (I changed to A&L in 005, so effectively lost a year on the 6 year rule due to my own inertia :rolleyes:).

This period was 'better' for me than previously, because during it I took advantage of home equity and low interest rates to do a remortgage to straighten myself out. The real bank charges were in the years prior to this.

So my question is - do I make this claim now for the above amount plus interest and continue to dig, or write back to them requesting earlier statements, with a view to making one full claim?

Many thanks in advance for learned opinions and help!

Mac

Write to your MP and

Milestone Diary Entry No. 4

Monday 4th June 2007

Current account statements arrived today. Initial count (I will double check) reveal £1721 before interest, for 5 years of statements (I changed to A&L in 005, so effectively lost a year on the 6 year rule due to my own inertia :rolleyes:).

This period was 'better' for me than previously, because during it I took advantage of home equity and low interest rates to do a remortgage to straighten myself out. The real bank charges were in the years prior to this.

So my question is - do I make this claim now for the above amount plus interest and continue to dig, or write back to them requesting earlier statements, with a view to making one full claim?

Many thanks in advance for learned opinions and help!

Mac

It depends on weather or not you want to claim beyond six years, I think section 32(?) of the Limitations Act, can be used to justify a claim. It states that time barring will not apply, if they knew the charges were unlawful, or were mistaken in their belief that the charges were lawful.

Effectively you could reclaim all charges applied. The problem being getting them to supply the information, which they are obliged to do. It would probably require a court order to force them.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html