• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MacBoy Vs. Halifax and Hello To the Group!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update - Current Account

Standard Stay letter rec'd today.

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Well yeah.. but there's not that much I can do about it, Tuttsi :(. I'm not a hardship case, so Ill just have to deal with it I guess.

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Update - Current Account

AckoS filed @ Lambeth on 19/08 with intention to defend.

Write to your MP and

• 4 weeks later...

Update - Current Account

Defence arrived at the weekend, with a £200 AQ fee to pay. Also included (slightly worrying), was the fast track/Multi Track leaflet - I was hoping to be able to keep it away from those. I have until 3rd Nov to file AQ.

Claim No: NLBXXXXX

IN THE LAMBETH COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN:

Mr. M. Boy

Claimant

~ and ~

BANK OF SCOTLAND PLC

(SUED AS "HALIFAX (BANK OF SCOTLAND) PLC")

DEFENCE

1. On 27th July 2007 a "Test Case" was issued in the High Court between the Office of Fair Trading and a number of banks (namely Abbey National pic, Barclays Bank pic, Clydesdale Bank pic, HBOS Plc, HSBC Bank Plc, Lloyds Bank Plc, Nationwide Building Society and The Royal Bank of Scotland Group) Plc in relation to the recovery by personal current account customers of charges paid by them to the banks.

2. The Defendant respectfully requests that this claim is stayed until further Order pending the final decision in the Test Case.

3. The Defendant intends to defend this action, and will file a full defence within 28 days of the expiration of the stay in proceedings.

3.1. It is intended that the full defence will also address the Claimant's claim in relation to any issue raised concerning compound interest and any aspect of the claim relating to charges applied prior to the applicable limitation period. The Defendant does not propose to address these matters at this stage until the substantive issue of the legality of the charges has been addressed as a result of the Test Case.

4. In the meantime, the Defendant makes no admissions to the particulars of claim, and the Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief whether as pleaded or at all.

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this defence are true.

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

DLA Piper UK LLP

Defendant's Solicitor

Write to your MP and

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sally, TUTTSI

Although all seems quiet, things have been buzzing along in the background with research, preparations and so forth.

Bank Account is stayed as you know, but Credit Card Interest Hearing (compound vs. simple) is a week tomorrow, 15th Dec.

Will keep everyone posted :D

Mac

Write to your MP and

Halifax surprised me by serving a Witness Statement, along with a Skeleton Argument written by a top Barrister and an intimidatory covering letter at 9am this morning by FedEx. That's ZERO working days before the trial.

Am working on responses and getting my bundle together, although I am going to first try and nail them for breaching the Judges orders that they must have their documents in by 1st December.

Write to your MP and

How do these banks get away with doing as they please and flaunting the Legal system. Especcially when they know they are up against a lay person they think they can just do as they please.

I expect it means that they are also late with getting the papers to the court for the Judge to have looked at it in advance of the hearing. So don't think the Judge will be too impressed. I think they have tried it on with the hope that you will back down before the hearing.

Looking forward to hearing that you get the result that you want.

All the best

Tuttsi xx

Update

Case has been adjourned for a period of "2-3 months" for a Directions Hearing in relation to the current Test Case for Bank Account cases.

DJ said that he had 'concerns about this case at either end', saying that on the one hand he felt that the only way he thought my claim could go forward was as 'a contractual claim'; and that the establishment or otherwise of this had a dependency on the full outcome of the test cases.

He said that on the other hand, The County Court was a 'creature of statute' and was not convinced it could actually award compound interest - even though he was 'fascinated' with the case itself.

He said that although he accepts that the test cases relate to current accounts, that the fates of the two are 'intrinsically linked'. He also stated that, according to a conversation he had recently with the DCJ, a number of CC cases are being stayed along with bank account cases and that he felt this was the right thing to be doing.

'I can only say that had this case not come before a Deputy at the last hearing, it would not be here in its present form this afternoon', he declared, clarifying that this was not in relation to the case's merits but from a case management standpoint.

He was complimentary about the way I had presented my case and quite scathing about the Defendant's reasoning as to why they thought I couldn't go ahead using Sempra.

In fact he all but said they were wrong and I was right!

However, the Defence Barrister continued to argue strongly that the trial should go ahead today. By this time, I was clear that tactically I had to play on the Judge's uncertainty and fall into line with him; because I felt sure that his nervousness about the County Court re. compound interest, could lead to problems for me.

So, when he came to ask me what I thought, I agreed with him. The other side looked a bit disappointed but I was happy - the last thing I wanted was to end up in the High Court.

I know some may find his puzzling - but I think I got the best outcome I could hope to come away with today.

Directions to follow, costs reserved (the Barrister was barking like mad for costs, trying to intimidate me LOL).

I'll summarise the order here when I get it.

Mac ;)

Write to your MP and

He didn't, and I didn't play on it Tuttsi - although the barrister asked me beforehand if I was planning to. I definitely considered it -but once aware of the DJs other concerns with the case decided to pick my battles. ;)

Edited by MacBoy

Write to your MP and

Not a resolution and payout.

But a fair result of sorts.

At least you now have 2-3 months or more to prepare for any further hearings and know what kind of defence to expect. They're unlikely to be able to throw any last minute surprises upon you for next time... at the last minute as usual.

Also encouraging that DJ saw merit in the use of Sempra case.

I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an offer quite soon.

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

hiya MacBoy

im impressed too, wow what a fab learning curve thread

am subbing so i can keep tabs on this as im going to soon get my upto date claim into halifax

a little breathing space now

more time for you, but great the judge was impressed with your work effort

and you did well not to get intimidated by other side barrister, and to think they have had all their training and legal info and yet it still didnt quite go their way today, so folks its down to the preparation of the case, the points you can battle and choosing the right battles to fight,

all tips for me in the future

take care all

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes Angel, you are correct it is all about prep. I'd also add, for those going for compound interest, reading your case law and understanding it; not just being able to parrot it.

Photoman - the interesting thing (and in my view a strong indication that the banks are running scared on compound interest and Sempra) is that for this trial, they hired a very highly-rated (Legal 500) Banking Barrister from probably the pre-eminent Chambers for complex banking cases, Fountain Court. These guys don't come cheap. They are definitely worried.

Someone is going to break through soon.

Edited by MacBoy

Write to your MP and