Tv License question....just curious

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As most people i pay the Tv License every year....now i've heard of people not having an aerial therefore they do not have to pay...

But what if you have no aerial...but just ahve a dvd connected up to it and a games console....would you have to pay then?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you cannot 'receive' tv by any method, sat/freeview/terrestrial/cable in your residence, then no you do not.

if tv as above is watched on any device or another room then 'someone' must pay.

read the faq on the tv licence website

dx100uk:D

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nope - it specifically states on the tv license website that you do not need a license if yo uonly watch dvd's/play games etc (ie anything other than watch live tv). However you do need to inform them and they may come and check your story.

Thanks, I looked at their factsheet and it's not quite as explicit as the faq that I think is what you're referring to.

Having said that I was chased for 2 years by TV Licensing who refused to believe that not owning a TV was a valid reason for not having a license, so I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.:)

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine was being threatened for some payments he missed on his tv licence. He suceesfully argued that ; not only had he not had a tv when the payments were not made, but also whilst payments had been made.

He told the tvla that since they were persuing him for money for a period whilst he didn't have telly, then he wanted a refund for the period whilst he had been paying a dd but didn't own a telly.

They paid up.

However you do need to inform them and they may come and check your story.

No you don't ! Just ignore them.

I don't watch TV at all. and so do not have a TV licence.

And I'm not letting some snooper into my home to 'confirm it'

So far this year I've had 11 letters from them, I just put them in a little pile on top of the microwave :) Trying to see how many I can collect in a calender year!

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

I really resent those letters TVLA send out if you don't have a license. I was without a TV for 5 months a few years ago, and every few weeks they'd send a letter pretty much branding me a criminal - did I know that it was illegal to receive TV without a license,did I know I could be fined a grand, did I know that mobile detection units were in the area and could pinpoint reception points etc etc.

Of course they do have a bit at the bottom (almost called it a link then) saying you should write to them if you don't have a TV, but given how aggressive and hostile their letters are, I didn't see why I should. Instead I decided to be as uncooperative as possible.

Anyway, that's my little rant over:P

I really resent those letters TVLA send out if you don't have a license. I was without a TV for 5 months a few years ago, and every few weeks they'd send a letter pretty much branding me a criminal - did I know that it was illegal to receive TV without a license,did I know I could be fined a grand, did I know that mobile detection units were in the area and could pinpoint reception points etc etc.

Of course they do have a bit at the bottom (almost called it a link then) saying you should write to them if you don't have a TV, but given how aggressive and hostile their letters are, I didn't see why I should. Instead I decided to be as uncooperative as possible.

Anyway, that's my little rant over:P

If you don't write to them, they want you to call them on an 0870 number. No chance!

Everyone out there should remember that TV Licensing Officers have no right of entry.

23/05/06 DPA Sent to Halifax

I Love You All :D

If you don't write to them, they want you to call them on an 0870 number. No chance!

Everyone out there should remember that TV Licensing Officers have no right of entry.

Correct, they have to apply to a magistrates court to get a warrant to give them a power of entry.

From the Communications Act 2003, Part 4 :-

366 Powers to enforce TV licensing

(1) If a justice of the peace, a sheriff in Scotland or a lay magistrate in Northern Ireland is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds for believing-

(a) that an offence under section 363 has been or is being committed,

(b) that evidence of the commission of the offence is likely to be on premises specified in the information, or in a vehicle so specified, and

© that one or more of the conditions set out in subsection (3) is satisfied,

he may grant a warrant under this section.

(2) A warrant under this section is a warrant authorising any one or more persons authorised for the purpose by the BBC or by OFCOM-

(a) to enter the premises or vehicle at any time (either alone or in the company of one or more constables); and

(b) to search the premises or vehicle and examine and test any television receiver found there.

(3) Those conditions are-

(a) that there is no person entitled to grant entry to the premises or vehicle with whom it is practicable to communicate;

(b) that there is no person entitled to grant access to the evidence with whom it is practicable to communicate;

© that entry to the premises or vehicle will not be granted unless a warrant is produced;

(d) that the purpose of the search may be frustrated or seriously prejudiced unless the search is carried out by a person who secures entry immediately upon arriving at the premises or vehicle.

I wonder how often they do get a warrant ... lot of work for a 100 quid . I wonder if they also have to present the magistrate with evidence (eg a signal has been detected) that a TV is being used without a license

Even if you did ring or write to them, they say that they 'may visit to confirm' the situation. Guess they do not believe anyone can live without TV !

Anyway, I don't even open them these days, just add them to the pile :)

To be honest it's just another way to keep tabs on people.

Another tax, which has no justification in the modern world.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

I got loads of snotty letters from them, I wrote a letter to their legal dept. asking them to stop harrassing me and gave them some stuff about the EU right to privacy and not having snoopers round the place.

My girlfriend pays for our License because I told her when we bought a house together that I refused to pay a penny towards it and if she was stupid enough to pay it, that was up to her. I really want to stop all of my family paying this disgusting tax, but they are all convinced by the BBC's threatening adverts.

There isn't actually much on TV that I will watch, and only one programme on the BBC that isn't even shown anymore (Tribe). I download most of my stuff from the internet as it's unavailable in this Country.

As you can view programmes on certain websites though, I'm sure they will try to include having an internet connection soon and expect more money from us all.

Hi

I had a visit from one of their enforcement officers on Thurs. They hadn't sent any warning letters and as it happened it was all paid up anyway!!!!!!!!!

He was a really nice bloke who said crapita are a complete shambles and he keeps being sent to old folk who are intitled to a free licence any way!!

He told me if I get any trouble from them to say he had been and confirmed all was ok and if they didn't believe me he would sort it.

He seemed as embarrassed as me about the call but he was a good bloke.

I had a similar situation. When it was at my gran's house they come to the door. Asked for proof as looking at a 93 year old woman wasn't enough evidenve that she was over 70. i had to go dig out her pension book at that time ( which is no mean feat in a 93 years old's house that has hoarded everything since she was sixteen!:(

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Apparently you also need a TV licence to watch live TV downloads on your computer or your mobile phone. My boss had to stop us all watching the Tim Henman match on the BBC website last week after he phoned to check.

How would they catch you though?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

just got them to redate my licence...:)

basically there was a "gap" between my last licence and this latest one of 3 months. So they "adjusted" my new one. after a few emails and some threats they caved in ..........:)

just shows bloody mindedness can work

btw they CANNOT enter your home without your permission

you can own a tv as long as it is not installed...???

this could mean that if it was capable of receiving signals and plugged in then you "may" be committing an offence. the only sure way would be to disable the aerial socket, as well as any aerial sockets on any other tv capable devices attached to it.

anyway I got my three months back :)

Dave

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

I really do hate having to pay for it, 2 years ago, i was taken to court. I had moved addresses and had just had a new baby and both the baby and i were really sick and what with moving and all, getting a tvl was not the most important thing. Anyway, they had tried my door a few times but i was out. One day in the evening, one of those officers just managed to catch me he started asking if i had a tvl and silly me i was honest, i said no, he advised me to get one asap asked me to sign on a bit of paper to confirm that i had admitted to using a tv without a license, he said as long as i got one, it would be ok. I now know NEVER to sign anything but on that day, i was really stressed out, i'd been in hospital all day having tests for this and that and when he caught me the two kids were both screaming one was hungry and the 3 year had just been woken up it really was not the best time. Anyway, as it turned out, the paper i had signed was a caution accepting that even if i bought a license, they still had the right to prosecute me!

Two days after i spoke to the officer, a bought my license in full, i though that was the end of it until 7 months later when it was due for a renewal, got a court date and a demand to buy my new license in full (i couldn't! i was on maternity pay), as it turned out when we got to court, their solicitor didn't even know i had actually bought a license, I'll never forget the look on his face when i told him that if he was going to prosecute people, the least he could do was 1st ascertain if those people had valid licenses in the 1st place! even the judge was amused, he had to ask for a short stay to confirm it all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for your information. I have it good authority that TV detector vans do not work. They are a ploy to make you buy a licence, they park them near somebodys house who do not have a licence to scare them into getting one. And even if they did work it would be against European Privacy Law to use them.......

I myself think that the 8 quid a month for all the BBC channels and Radio to be Advert free is good value poeple moan about it but will gladly pay over 40 quid a month to watch sky channels that repeat themselves constantly and show adverts all day for car insurance and loans.

when i was in halls i had a tv and no licence. They came to the door a lot and sent loads of letters so one day i sent a letter back saying yes i have a tv but i use it only to watch course material in the format of DVDs, i got a nice letter saying fair enough then, no visits or nothing.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

You are lucky, i have been having problems with them since bought our house last year, the problem is the house used to be 2 back to back cottages, however it has been completely gutted a few years ago and made into one house, obviously the house still has two addresses as it is on 2 streets, we sorted TL before we even moved in, and we have been getting either a letter or visit almost every month to either one address or the other, i think we finally got this sorted two month ago at the last visit from an enforcment officer, i let rip at him that i was totally sick of the constant harrasment, and i blew my top about the repeated threatening letters which threatened to take me to court, surely these letters should not be made in any threatening way without PROOF that you actually dont have TV ect. Each time we got a letter or visit i would complain and they then said they would link both addresses to show as being one house, the following month we would get a letter to the other address stating we dont have a license, so we go through it all again, then they swap the license over to the other address, at the last visit i said if i get one more threatening letter or visit demanding i let them in i will be taking further action, this had been going on since i bought the house in may 06

Strangely enough i have heard nothing more, although if they did, not quite sure what i would do.

TVL really £%$£ me off

:madgrin: