Hi everybody, info re closed accounts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

New here, first post, hello all and all that type of stuff.

Anyway down to the bones of it.

I closed an account at the turn of the year before I was aware of the possibilities of re-claiming the extortionate ammounts of cash the bank had taken off me over the years.

What I would like to know is this, does the fact that the account is closed hold any bearing on my ability to claim back the unlawful charges the bank made against me whilst the account was running?

Cheers in advance for all and any help/information forthcoming.

Rutilus.

Hi Rutilus,

The fact the account is closed will not stop you claiming any charges incurred in the last 6 years. I claimed against Abbey for an account closed 18 months ago.

If you have account numbers etc request your statements and start the process.

And welcome aboard.

There is a lot of information on this site so take your time and spend a couple of days reading as much as you can.

Here are a couple of links to get you started and i suggest you always keep them to hand.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/24031-frequently-asked-questions.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

When you are comfortable start a thread "XXXX v Bank Name here" in the relavent bank forum as then people with specific experience of this bank can offer support and advice.

There is a lot of information to take in here so if unsure it is allways best to Ask first.

If you need a quick answer to a question you could always try the chatroom as there are usually some very helpful people in there.

Very best of luck

BB

Any advise offered is my own opinion, and if in doubt, always seek clarification.

[

Cheers BB, I appreciate the swift response.

If its not to cheeky could you indulge me further with one more question?

Many of my colleagues who are considering entering the process talk of the charges incurred for letters sent to them. The majority of my charges simply appeared on statements as 'unarranged borrowing fees.'

Have the bank bamboozled me here? Or am I still entitled to claim these fees back because at the end of the day they were fees incurred when my account went a few pence overdrawn, and usually ammounted to 20 pounds plus.

In effect they were making these charges while incurring no cost to themselves because the statements would be sent to me anyway as a matter of course. In effect they had utilised the ultimate revenue stream, extra cash in for zero outlay.

Sorry to be a pain but these are the burning questions.

Anyhoo, I'm off to peruse the site in more detail now, and thanks for the links, I'm sure they will be most helpful.

Cheers again.

Rutilus.

Hi again Rutilus,

They sound like charges to me rather than fees, fees would imply that these are agreed by all parties which I doubt is the case.

This entire process is based on the fact the bank are making unlawfull profits from their charging practices so, as a rule of thumb it is best to assume that your claim will go to court and with and it will be the banks responsability to defend these charges before a judge. Include the "unauthorised Borrowig Fees" and let them defend.

They have not as yet stepped into the courtroom but will make you go through the process of preparing for it.

Very best of luck,

It is best to read as much as you can, ask any questions and people will point you in the right direction.

Cheers

BB

Any advise offered is my own opinion, and if in doubt, always seek clarification.

[