other companies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it ok for other companys to charge for late payment i.e studio cards for not making a payment in time,as daughter paid in £20,but was late,now they have charged her £20,wiping out her payment.

Have not checked the terms and condition of there payment system yet.

Ron

but we all agreed to these charges from our banks because they are in the T&Cs, but now know that they are still unlawful.

Ron, if your daughter has been charged a late payment fee of £20, it is clearly not a fee associated with the cost they incurred. I'd say this is the same as other catalogue accounts, and you can claim. I would certainly try.

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

it could be, but its not likely is it? Inany case, a DPA request for manual intervention will either reveal that its a legimate charge, or thats there's no manual intervention and it's a penalty charge,

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

Guest Lueeze

It could be legit, but whats the chance of that....:rolleyes:

I would say write to the with the Prelim and LBA and see what happens, I wouldn't say file in court TBH until we hear what they say.

Obviously £20 late charge is just the same a a £20 late charge on a credit card, they all operate the same!

Id at least try...

And, therein, lies your answer.

How can we decide what is reasonable, without sight of what terms and conditions you have agreed to?

Sean, I don't think you quite get the principle of penalty charges. Your answer indicates that.

£20 charge for a late payment IS a penalty. No T&Cs can mask that. Even the OFT agrees!

Ron, go get 'em. :D

Thanks bookworm, will be send of the 1st letter requesting a list of all charges made to her account for late payments, and see what they come back with.No doubt they will be asking for £5/£10 as normal.

Could someone tell me what Sean 5302 or even Sean could reply to what his input to this thread was?.

Ron

Not sure why he's deleted; he simply said to be careful as the charge may be legitimate. The balance of probabilities however seems to be that it's not... penalty charges are not permissible in ANY contract - not just bank contracts.

Bookworm,

I believe I know the answer to this question but could you clarify when they (Studio Cards) use the term Administration charge £20 on their invoice that would still be classed as a penalty charge would it not.

Seen your reply as to what Sean was saying thanks again

Ron

Guest Lueeze

Yes, they can use whatever fancy names they want, but the admin charge was for being late paying the bill, it wasnt offering a service. Claim it back, after all it doesnt cost £20, unless they can prove this of course!

Louise x

Yes, they can use whatever fancy names they want, but the admin charge was for being late paying the bill, it wasnt offering a service. Claim it back, after all it doesnt cost £20, unless they can prove this of course!

Louise x

Thank you Louise, just completed the 1st template letter(edited to suit),requesting all info under the data protection act... from when opening of her account.

Take care

Ron

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 11 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks