Council Tax Help

yaffsimone1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have posted a few threads on here regarding my creditors, i have been making payment arrangements. Some successful, some not!

To help ease the pressure i wondered if there was anybody who had a template letter i could use for my Council Tax.

I have just had my new bill through. I am paying £60.17 per month to Equita for an outstanding balance of about £300 from last year, this was reduced from £79.00 after i couldnt afford to pay the council £79.00 every month. I am now in an even worse situation i got to pay £60.17 plus £79.00 for this year ( i should be gratefull my bill has not gone up!), I have not got the £139.17 required every month. The council are not very helpfull, is there anyway i can get this monthly figure reduced and pay it over a longer period?

I don't know if this helps but i have just sorted mine in the same posiston.

I was paying hm love for old council tax and got my new bill. I called the council tax team and they have sperad it over 12 months instead of 10 and i sent a income and exp to love to pay £10 pm that used to be £80pm and they had to accept as that was all i could afford

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Local authorities always show a monthly repayment option when they send out council tax bills. However they should allow you to pay the council tax through a weekly repayment plan as well, although this means you will still have to find the same amount each month, albeit split into weeks. You can try and ask the council if they will let you pay it over a longer period considering the circumstances, I have no idea if they would allow us.

Another option available to you is to tell the council you will begin paying your newest bill once you have finished paying Equita, which should be 5 months if you continue paying at £60.17. You can then use this money to pay towards the new bill. Obvisously if you are able to pay anything towards the new bill between now and when you stop paying Equita then it will reduce the overall amount you owe.

I would recommend you keep copies of all letters you send to the council in case they try and get a liability order for your new bill (if you dont pay), and then pass it to the bailiffs again. You can then attend the hearing at the court and enter a defence that you have tried making arrangements with the council but they have not been helpful or willing to accept your offers. If this is successful then at least you know it wont be going back to the bailiffs.

Finally it may be worth making a complaint if you feel the council have been totally unhelpful. Start by complaining to the council and then move it on to the local authority ombudsman.

So far i have spoken to the council on the phone. Im going to write them now. Im worried about upsetting Equita as they are baliffs and i want to keep them as happy as possible. In my letter i may suggest your suggestion of start paying them after i have finished paying Equita and see what they say

• 3 weeks later...
So far i have spoken to the council on the phone. Im going to write them now. Im worried about upsetting Equita as they are baliffs and i want to keep them as happy as possible. In my letter i may suggest your suggestion of start paying them after i have finished paying Equita and see what they say

Do what i did phoned my local councillor.She was great.She phoned the councill and told them.And they have put a stop to them calling out And are questioning there charges.I owed the councill £79.Equita trid charging me £292.I dont think so! The council are suppossed to have stopped using equita.Because of there bulling ways.