• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Twinmom03 vs Lloyds TSB

twinmom03
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I have my cheque and envelope ready and am just waiting for my husband to come home with a printed data protection letter (hhome printer not working) and will then be sending the letter via recorded delivery today.

Since July 2002 Lloyds TSB have charged me £881, so am requesting the full statements so I can see the full extent of charges.

I have read the site since May last year so finally plucking up the courage to pursue my charges now.

Just to double check though, I see the address for the first data letter has changed to the copy statement instead of penny berryman, is this correct?

Many thanks and here's hoping the process doesn't take too long. (husband already offered to let me use his bank account in case of mine being closed).

Thankyou, its now printed and off to post office this evening. I understand that Lloyds like to take it all the way, but I am prepared for this. If I get my money back, then its a donation to here and taking my kids to Disneyland for their birthday!

I'kk keep everyone informed.

Right, according to Royal Mail website the letter was delivered from their Birmingham Office this morning, still have to wait for the electronic proof of delivery though. Is the 40 days from today when they receive the letter, or 40 days from when they cash the cheque? I would presume from today as they could just hold on to cheques for a while couldn't they?

Also, when do you think I should ring them to double check its received and in process if they don't reply by letter?

Many thanks, kind of excited yet nervous that I have started all of this.

I could've just went straight to second letters knowing I am owed £881 from July 2002, but why not go the whole hog and get back all of what I am entitled to.

Hi

It's 40 days form when they receive the letter, so the countdown begins today!

Maybe give them a couple of weeks then start chasing them up.

Barty:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html I WON!!!!:D :D

If I have helped, please click my scales:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Thanks Barty!

I did a few weeks ago look at the MSE website and at the BBC websites articles and sent off a letter about the charges I knew about. Then changed my mind and decided to follow the CAG route which seems to be the most successful way if you are especially going against Lloyds.

But their reply intially would have been due last Friday, I received the following letter today:

"Dear twinmom03,

Thankyou for getting in touch with us. I am sorry you are unhappy about your account charges.

Regarding your request for details of charges on your account for the past six years, I can advise that I am prepared to accept your request under the Data Protection Act and provide you with copy statements for the period in question. There is a £10 fee for information requested under the Data Protection Act per custimer.

Please forward the £10 fee to the address below and I will request copy statments to be produced for the period in question. We will send these to you within 3 weeks from receipet of the fee. Please ensure that our reference as shown above is quoted when sending the cheque and that the cheque is made payable to Lloyds TSB Bank PLC. I trust you find this acceptable.

Statement Request

Lloyds TSB Bank Plc

Andover Service Recovery Centre

Charlton Place

Andover

Hampshire

SP10 1RE

Like any business, we do make a charge for some of our extra services. When customers don't have enough in their accounts to cover a payment, this always means extra work - and it has to happen very quickly. We have to agree to make the payment by setting up or increasing an overdraft, or tell customers we can't agree it. We feel it's fair to charge for this service.

Of course its only fair too, that we're completely open about any charged-for services before you might need them. That's why we take care to give every new customer the latest guide to our charges. You can also get up-to-date details about fees and borrowing rates at all our branches, through our helpline and on our website.

Just as importantly, we do everything we can to help our customers avoid these charges. You can get an up-to-date balance at any of our cash machines, over the phone, on line and by weekly text to your mobile.

If you know a payment is going to take you over your agreed limit, you're welcome to see if there's anything we can do.

The Office of Fair Trading has published new guidelines on credit card default charges. We're still talking it through, but the importnat point is that the guidelines are about 'default' charges that people pay when they break an agreement with us. This doesn't apply to your charges as these were for dealing with your request to go over your agreed overdraft limit. They are not default charges because you haven't broken your agreement. They are our prices for the service we provide in these situations.

I do hope you can see that we make our charging system as fair as possible - and why I can't agree to cancel your charges.

I hope this fully answers the points you raiised with us. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. If we cannot come to an agreement, I will provide you with details of the Financial Ombudsman Service so they can consider your complaint independently.

If you are happy with the way I have dealt with your complaint, there is no need for you to reply to my letter. If I have not heard from you by 23rd May 2007 I will close my file, though of course I will re-open it should you come back at any point afterwards.

Yours Sincerely,

David Clarke.

Customer Service Recovery Centre Andover."

I love the arrogant, 'now listen little person' tone this letter takes, just makes me glad I have been reading this site for a while, and even more determined to get what the thieving gits have taken from me. Because I seriously doubt it has cost them more than £100 in total since I opened the bank to do anything for me, and we're talking at least £881 they've taken from me!

Quick question if anyone can answer. Do Lloyds not care that I've actually sent them money. They've still not debited the cheque from my account. They received it 9 days ago now, although when you check the electronic proof of delivery for the letter, what a surprise that the person receivong it at lloyds has not put a date or time on it!

I have heard of some people receiving their cheque back and not being charged for the data protection request. (Grasping at straws here, ha ha).

I just want to get on with this too but looks like I'm probably going to have to wait the full 40 days for my information, oh well, only 31 to go!

Hi.

Do Lloyds not care that I've actually sent them money

!!!!!!No, They already have enough of everyone else's!!!!!

I didn't get a reply about my SAR from them for about 48 days. They only cashed the cheque after I filed my court claim!!! They don't seem to do anything quickly or sincerely!! Your time will come. Try not to get too stressed. It's not good for the twinmom :)

Barclays - 2 Accounts - WON

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

LTSB pre 6 years - N1 for non compliance filed

Barclays pre 6 years - Prelim sent

• 4 weeks later...

Received a letter this morning (seems very standardised as they filled in my details in pen, the rest is typed!):

Dear angry customer,

sort code:******

account number: ********

I refer to your recent request for copies of statements on your account to enable you to reconcile your bank charges. Please find enclosed details of charges going back to the date you opened your account, or 1st September 2001, whichever date is most recent. If there are no charges for a certain period then charging details will not be included.

You may now wish to proceed with your claim for reimbursement of charges but, if you now feel you need further statements, this will take longer to access our archived data. Please let me know by returning this letter in the attached pre-paid envelope and I will order them for you.

Under the terms of the Data Protection Act, we are allowed up to 40 days to fulfill your request.

The fee of £10 for this service has been taken accordingly.(No, you haven't, its still not been cashed!).

Yours sincerely,

an unreadable signature

Copy Statement Unit

*Please send any remaining statements prior to 1st September 2001

Is this just another stalling tactic as I asked for statements from March 2001, a further 6 months of them than they have provided, surely they can't make me wait up to another 40 days, they had 40 days to give me all the data I requested! It has been 33 days since they received my SAR.

Anybody knnow what I can do now?

I am now going to sit and work out how much the charges are so far, can see one particular charge thats £165 alone! They didn't actually send statements, just lists of charges, can I still forge ahead with these, I think I can but just making sure.

Many thanks to whomever may answer!

Twinmom03

Hi, There's a letter in the templates library for non compliance of DPA. You can send it once the 40 days are up.

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

Hi, well just worked out from the charges I now have listed that they have charged me a total of £1591 since Sept 2001! And initially I thought it wasn't worth the bother and time getting another 15 months of statements that I didn't have, just a further 9 months was £710 in charges!

Unbelievable!

Started a thread for hubby in Barclays too, his letter is going recorded tomorrow (our post office open 7 days a week!). He gets charged an average of £90 a month on 2 accopunts so he'll be in for way more than me!

I also filled out the spreadsheet so I can send (without the interest columns) along with LBA. Let them go to the court stage, if I do, then the interest added on currebtly works out as £2076 to get back! Haven't seen amounts like that in my bank account ever, but could have if they'd not charged ridiculous amounts for small bounced cheques. I think £165 in one day is a bit beyond!

Also, for anyone reading, do you think it'd be prudent to maybe ring Lloyds copy statment unit to remind them they only actually have 7 days to send the remaining statements, not another 40 like they are suggesting?

Thanks again,

twinmom03

I'm going to ring them tomorrow as its actually 40 days yesterday but then there was a bank holiday last week. If I get no happy response from them tomorrow I'll send the non compliance letter. Actually, I'll send it anyway as more than likely anything they tell me over the telephone will be just another delay tactic!

Send the letter. The 40 days are calander days so bank holidays and weekends count.

dave

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I sent the letter actually on the 23rd May in their own pre-paid envelope. Thats over 7 days ago now and no reply. However, I didn't send it recorded. Should I send it again recorded in case they pull the "we haven't received a letter" tactic, or shall I go straight to the next step in getting all my information. At this point all I really want to do is start with the letters asking for it back from the bank but I'm afraid if I don't get these extra 6 months of charges, then if and when it goes to court, the fact that I'm not claiming the full 6 years may be thrown in my face.

Any advice anyone please?

Oh and they did finally cash the cheque, guess what, it made me overdrawn, so they're taking £30 from my bank on the 9th of this month for cashing a £10 cheque, funny thing is, they didn't bounce it, which normally they would have done, guess its different f the cheque is made out to lloyds eh!

Twinmom, you can start sending the leters and keep adding to the schedule of charges until you file in court. As long as you let LTSB have a copy of your schedule every time you update it. Theres no reason you shouldn't send the prelim now if you have proof of some of the charges.

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

Thank you for that, think I'll get the letter mailed this weekend then. The amount of charges I have so far are definately worth starting things. If I win, donation to CAG then I'm determined to take my little girls to disneyland Paris. Probably could have afforded to long before this if Lloyds didn't like to take so much money from me on a regular basis!

I just like to think of it as them helping me save up. Not many savings accounts give you 8% by law:D

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

Well, I've actually received the rest of my statements so I have the hwole lot for 6 years. There is only 2 charges in the extra 6 months of statements I was waiting for, one says unauthorised borrowing fee, is this claimable?

Can someone answer asap then I can get on with sending my first letter to the bank to claim refund.

Many thanks.

Oh, and great thing about them sending the extra statements. It shows the account number of our old joint account. Think I shall be claiming charges on that account too now! I can do that as a seperate claim, I don't have to combine do I?

Anyone know about the previos question with regards to the fee charged on my account.

Thanks Guido but to do that would mean waiting on this particular claim for at least another 40 days, it took me ages to get all of this info and really want to press on with this particular claim. I don't think we were charged that much on the joint account whereas this claim is for over £1600, which may not be much to the bank but a sodding fortune for us (and our family hiloday if we win!).

Which post is number is your question in? If it is the fee of around £10 for running your account you cannot claim that back.

Run seperate claims if you like, but 40 days in the scheme of things is nothing, I have a claim that is now eight months old and still not settled.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.