Transfer funds - excessive delay?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4994 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this. If not please forgive and can someone move it to the correct one?

The other week, on Friday evening, I went on-line and transferred £350 from my Abbey account to my HSBC account. Doing this as I realised that my HSBC account would exceed the agreed over-draught and didn't want to go through the claiming bit again (having successfully claimed back just over £1000 from then about s yet back). However the money did not reach the HSBC account till the following Wednesday.

I called up both banks to inquire why it took so long and they said "because it does". I kept on asking but why and eventually gave up, as they kept repeating the same answer. They did however say if I'd asked for it to be done quicker it could be but there would be a charge for such a service. So I had finally got them to admit it could be done the next day, but you'd have to pay for it!!

So my question is, are they allowed to make a charge for such a service? The reason I'm on about this is that the late arrival of funds into the HSBC cost me £75.00 in charges. Well, it would have done but after much disputing it over the phone they reduced it to £25.00, for three items, which is closer to a reasonable charge. If abbey had transferred the money the next day there would have been no charge!! Are they liable for that charge as it was their fault, or was it all my fault for not arranging the transfer sooner?

Thoughts?

Neil.