Jump to content

Disrepairs- Estate Agents Nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi All,


I would greatly appreciate some advice with a serious problem of disrepair.


I am renting with my girlfriend a flat from a Letting Agency. In December a heavy leaking occurred in our flat from the flat above us. This was the start of a nightmare of frustrations and problems with the estate agents.The leak got worse and worse despite our repeated calls and emails and the claim from the estate agents that they had fixed the problem. Soon, our kitchen ceiling, cupboard and walls were completely covered with mould with smell and humidity in the whole flat. Appliances in the kitchen ceased to function because the leak had affected the electrical plugs in the kitchen.


Finally, one day, coming back from work, we barely averted a fire in the house:eek: : the leak had got into the plugs in the kitchen and there were sparkles and smell of burnt in the kitchen. Even then, the only thing the estate agents did was to wrap the electrical wires in some tape and tell us to avoid to put them in contact with water!


Up to today, after 3 months of calls, emails and even letters, the leak has been stopped but nothing serious has been done to fix the property. The letting agents have ignored any claim for compensation and they are taking their time with fixing the property and with the insurance claim.


I tried to follow the Housing Disrepair Protocol but the agents simply don't care about my letters..I feel angry, powerless and frustrated: how is it possible that a big letting agency can get away with giving so little importance to the safety and well-being of its customers !?:evil: so what should I do now to get compensation and have the house fixed? Going to court? In this case who should I sue, the agency or my landlord? What are the steps I should take for a successful resolution of the court case?


Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there. Your contract is with the l/lord, not the agency. Focus your effort on the l/lord. Read the following thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/74057-disrepairs-privately-rented-accommodation.html#post641938

There is also a lot of info on this forum with regards to disrepairs so I am afraid you have to do some reading.

Start gathering evidence; remember, strong evidence and facts are unbeatable. Get statements from witnesses, take photos, get Environmental Health officer in, get an opinion from accredited electrician, plumber.

Decide; have you done enough negotiation to take it further, i.e. reduce rent or fix the problem and use your rent in lieu or go to court.

If you do not feel confident to do it by yourself, see if you can qualify for legal aid: Legal Aid Calculator

Keep us posted and good luck!


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Joa,


photos and accredited electrician are good ideas!!...will do.


So I should sue the landlord and not the agents? Any hint/link about the court? Don't want to lose for details/small prints in the law....:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...