Fraudulent activity on account

JenniBee8

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so I apologise!

Last September there was a transaction on my account with Halifax that I did not recognise. I contacted the bank and reported this, they sent off a fraud report to their fraud department. If I am totally honest I did used to be quite careless with my money and usually didn't bother checking my bank statemenets - it was only when I started internet banking that I noticed this.

Anyway the amount was only for £20 but it's not the amount that matters I suppose and I did get this back no problem. They never explained how the fraud ocurred, they just cancelled the card and sent another one out.

Recently I was looking through a lot of statements for bank charges and noticed the same kind of debit card transaction (It stood out because as with the other one, the company are from Malta, and all it said was '24H Pay Matla'. This was May 2006 and they had accually taken £139 from me this time.

I have reported this and have had Halifax on the phone asking why it had taken me so long to notice this. I don't really have an answer for it, I did used to be very careless like I said, and used to spend way too much. Anyway they have said they will reach a decision within a week. I am going to be gutted if I don't get this back and it will be my own fault.

The question is though, just because I didn't check my statements this surely doesn't mean that I 'deserved' it? that's the way Halifax have made me feel about the situation.

I am also curious as to how the fraud happened in the first place. Is it my fault? no one else has access to my acc details but I do use Paypal, Ebay, Online Banking etc through a wireless internet connection. Is it a fault of the bank's or my own? Should Halifax have safety measures in place to prevent this happening?

I am not pointing the finger at the bank, even though I don't particularly like Halifax.

• 1 year later...

Indeed it is! :lol:

However, the answer, for someone else who should happen to browse through here with the same type of query, is that no, it is not your responsability to check your statements, and there is actual caselaw to support this:

Tai Hing Cotton Mill Ltd -v- Liu Chong Hing Bank Ltd [1986] AC 80

A client is not under a duty to check statements received from a bank.

Whoa thanks people that was a surprise to see a reply to a 12 month old post!

I had this sorted out - got all the money back. I never found out who 24h pay Malta are, and I have never used any online gambling sites in my life.