credit card debt Scary MBNA

pixiepixie

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - ive read lots of posts about MBNA credit cards and how awful they are to deal with - ive just read one post where MBNA advised their client to sell their clothes

I have a credit card with MBNA that I havnt used for about 4 years and have been trying to pay off for about 6 - feels like longer. Im rapidly getting nowhere with it though due to the interest

If I contact them and ask them to freeze the interest so that I can make some headway on it will they put this as a black mark against me?

Any advise would be great

If you are paying the card off, i know its taking forever but if you can keep paying it as you are. I am having dealings with MBNA and if you can avoid going down that road please avoid it. They will make your life hell! Please read all the threads regarding MBNA before you make any decisions.

Hi Yaffsimone1 - thanks for the reply. To be honest - thats what i plan to do - i dont want to be involved with mbna to the degree that other members of this site have. I just want rid of them asap -

pixiepixie vbmenu_register("postmenu_695163", true); have you got a debt managment plan with CCCS - best of paying what you can afford cccs will sort you a budget plan , if you stop paying MBNA will put more charges on ...

DPA SENT TO MBNA

7/4/07 40 DAYS MAY 16 ..

Send the DPA letter for all the statements include a £10 postal order and write "DPA request fee only" across the back of it. Send the letter by Special next day guaranteed delivery. Keep the receipts. Keep a copy of the letter as well.

Hi - ive read lots of posts about MBNA credit cards and how awful they are to deal with - ive just read one post where MBNA advised their client to sell their clothes

I have a credit card with MBNA that I havnt used for about 4 years and have been trying to pay off for about 6 - feels like longer. Im rapidly getting nowhere with it though due to the interest

If I contact them and ask them to freeze the interest so that I can make some headway on it will they put this as a black mark against me?

Any advise would be great

no they wont put a black mark against you as your paying MBNA now if it was sold to a DCA yes a black mark would be against your name.

DPA SENT TO MBNA

7/4/07 40 DAYS MAY 16 ..

Send the DPA letter for all the statements include a £10 postal order and write "DPA request fee only" across the back of it. Send the letter by Special next day guaranteed delivery. Keep the receipts. Keep a copy of the letter as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - well, ive just called and spoken to MBNA re the interest they are charging on my card. I asked them if they could do anything about the interest rate - 20.9% - theyve lowered it to 14.9 - surely if they could do this over the phone why havnt they done this before? I aasked if they could freeze the interest - they said no - not without affecting my credit rating. They alsdo just tried to sell me a loan. I asked for copy statements - they will provide these at a cost of £2.50 per statement!

When I told the guy on the phone that I was paying £130 per month and only £5 was coming of the balance and that I would be paying it off til I was 80 - he laughed and then tried to sell me a loan

I really dont know what to do next. Can they have charged me this much interest and then lowered it so quickly with just one phone call?

What I would like to do is have the balance adjusted to the new rate - can I do this? If so - how?

thanks - a confused pixie and MBNA are scary!

I hate having to deal with MBNA. They said to me that they will not go out of their way to help you, you have to ask for things, they are not going to give you anything off thier own back! I said the same thing to MBNA with regards to im still going to be paying the card off in 15 years time, all they said was 'if that is the case then we will sell the debt on and wash our hands of it' thier exact words!

so what do i do - carry on paying £5 per month til im 80?

im more than happy to pay for what ive used on the card - but surely this interest rate is no better than a loan shark?

help!

can anyone give me any tips on how to approach this?

Can i pursue this in the same was as bank charges?

Im more than happy to pay for what ive used on the card but i feel this is being highly inflated by the ever increasing interest.

Has anyone had any similar experiences they can share with me?

please help!

Hi Pixie,

In my opinion you have two options, one is to continue paying them which certainly isn't desirable, given that only £5.00 is coming off the debt each month. The other option is to look for problems with the agreement that may (I cannot over-emphasize that) render it unenforceable. When a request is made for a copy of the credit agreement what is often produced by many banks and credit cards does not amount to a legally enforceable agreement. MBNA often produce application forms, which are not agreements, and therefore are unenforceable against you.

Companies like MBNA are only scary if you believe their threats, which for the most part are not true. Also, you are under no obligation whatsoever to speak to anyone on the telephone, which is how MBNA exerts pressure. It's all mind games....which you can choose not to take part in.

Someone that I'm helping, stopped paying MBNA totally in Feb 2006, as he was not in a position to pay. Yes he received letters and tons of phone calls, which he completely ignored. On the odd occasion he did answer the phone, he would refuse to go through any security Q's and advised them that as he was unable to satisy himself that they were indeed MBNA and due to Data Protection, he could not continue with the call and would hang up! In July/Aug 2006 they gave up ringing. The matter was passed (not sold) to a DCA and he ignored them apart from sending a CCA request. The request has never been complied with and all has gone quiet. MBNA are very reluctant indeed to go to Court, it's not what they do. Part of the reason IMO is that they subject customers to such horrendous threats and intimidation, (if they manage to speak to you) they are frightened of the repercussions of such behaviour.

The point I am making is that you don't have to go through hell, just don't speak to them! Don't believe the threats in letters, although you are unlikely to get them in writing anyway, they save the full on intimidation and abuse for phone calls, as there is no proof of what was said in the call!

If you stop paying them having received an unenforceable agreement, your credit rating will be affected for a period of time. That said, you could threaten them with Court and once they realise the agreement is worthless, they will probably back off and you can demand all details of the debt on your credit file be removed. You can again threaten them with Court, if they initially refuse to do this. They know that if the debt is unenforceable, they have no legal right to keep the details on the credit file, it amounts to libel and could prove very costly. They want to avoid having to pay you compensation and court costs. I really think this is the only way to deal with this debt. Of course you could opt for a pmt plan through CCCS or similar, but that will affect your credit rating as long as you owe the debt, so potentially forever!

What some of us do on this site in taking on the banks and credit card companies is not for everyone, but I think it is worthwhile knowing if you're signed up to a legally enforceable agreement! The Consumer Credit Act 1974 is there to protect consumers from unscrupulous creditors, use the law to help you, one thing is for sure, you won't get any help from MBNA!

If this is a millstone around your neck, then there really is only one option!

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Laiste.:)

Hi Pixie,

In my opinion you have two options, one is to continue paying them which certainly isn't desirable, given that only £5.00 is coming off the debt each month. The other option is to look for problems with the agreement that may (I cannot over-emphasize that) render it unenforceable. When a request is made for a copy of the credit agreement what is often produced by many banks and credit cards does not amount to a legally enforceable agreement. MBNA often produce application forms, which are not agreements, and therefore are unenforceable against you.

Companies like MBNA are only scary if you believe their threats, which for the most part are not true. Also, you are under no obligation whatsoever to speak to anyone on the telephone, which is how MBNA exerts pressure. It's all mind games....which you can choose not to take part in.

Someone that I'm helping, stopped paying MBNA totally in Feb 2006, as he was not in a position to pay. Yes he received letters and tons of phone calls, which he completely ignored. On the odd occasion he did answer the phone, he would refuse to go through any security Q's and advised them that as he was unable to satisy himself that they were indeed MBNA and due to Data Protection, he could not continue with the call and would hang up! In July/Aug 2006 they gave up ringing. The matter was passed (not sold) to a DCA and he ignored them apart from sending a CCA request. The request has never been complied with and all has gone quiet. MBNA are very reluctant indeed to go to Court, it's not what they do. Part of the reason IMO is that they subject customers to such horrendous threats and intimidation, (if they manage to speak to you) they are frightened of the repercussions of such behaviour.

The point I am making is that you don't have to go through hell, just don't speak to them! Don't believe the threats in letters, although you are unlikely to get them in writing anyway, they save the full on intimidation and abuse for phone calls, as there is no proof of what was said in the call!

If you stop paying them having received an unenforceable agreement, your credit rating will be affected for a period of time. That said, you could threaten them with Court and once they realise the agreement is worthless, they will probably back off and you can demand all details of the debt on your credit file be removed. You can again threaten them with Court, if they initially refuse to do this. They know that if the debt is unenforceable, they have no legal right to keep the details on the credit file, it amounts to libel and could prove very costly. They want to avoid having to pay you compensation and court costs. I really think this is the only way to deal with this debt. Of course you could opt for a pmt plan through CCCS or similar, but that will affect your credit rating as long as you owe the debt, so potentially forever!

What some of us do on this site in taking on the banks and credit card companies is not for everyone, but I think it is worthwhile knowing if you're signed up to a legally enforceable agreement! The Consumer Credit Act 1974 is there to protect consumers from unscrupulous creditors, use the law to help you, one thing is for sure, you won't get any help from MBNA!

hello Laiste. soryy for jumping the thread im in same boat as pixie, im paying MBNA with a DM plan ive sent MBNA A DPA ive not sent a CCA,iv,e rang cccs to tell them to stop paying MBNA becouse the money im paying isnt enough its being eaten away with intrest ect basically how can i get them to freeze intrest ??

DPA SENT TO MBNA

7/4/07 40 DAYS MAY 16 ..

OK MBNA'ers let me tell you about my situation. I have 4 accounts with MBNA, and owe them more than any of you lot :-)

I started paying them 4 x £2 a month about 8-10 months ago. I was getting bucket loads of letters and persistent phonecalls, letters from Arrow Global LLC and Eversheds - all sorts of threats. Although I was replying, I was being ignored.

And then one day about 2 months ago I requested 4 x agreement copys and haven't heard a whisper since.

The ball is in their court now but it appears they don't want to play anymore.

Hi Topjet,

As you have a pmt plan already in place, if MBNA have not agreed to freeze interest as part of that plan, then they are unlikely to. They are under no obligation to do this, so my advice would be to do the same as I have advised Pixie. If you have not been able to maintain the normal monthly pmts, then there are probably penalty charges to reclaim also.

I hope this is useful. If you have further Q's, you need to start your own thread, so as not to hijack Pixie's.

Kind regards,

I too have been subject to abuse and harrassment from MBNA, i just deal in writing now and yes they ignore my letters. I think the advice that Laiste has given should definately be worth listening to, im going to take everything on board that Laiste said.

Hi Pixie,

Hi Laiste - thanks for the above. Really helpful - i dont want to take MBNA - just pay for what i owe and get rid of the debt

Your reply is very helpful - thanks for taking the time to write it

Pixie