Some useful things to know...

Movingon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you really HAVE to get this done by phone, try using some of the following techniques to improve your call centre experience.

1. NEVER, EVER get angry. Be reasonable and cheerful, even friendly at all times. They love you like a brother by the end of the call, no matter WHAT your problem is or what you want them to do.
  2. If you get someone who is determined to be rude or unhelpful, or someone so thick you could stack planks on them, hang up and ring back. Most call centres of large firms employ hundreds and hundreds of people; you are NOT getting the same idiot twice, and you are NOT required to talk to idiots.
  3. Use a free phone. e.g. use your work phone (or even better one on a hotdesk) if you can and dial the 0870 number; or sign up with a free calls provider and use Say No to 0870 to find a landline number for them.
  4. Let the hold music play while you do other things. Saves you getting all annoyed.
  5. It's not the call centre agent's fault. See rule one.
  6. If you are given no choice but to use the **&%*% menu system, seek out the options (on several successive calls) which get you quickest to an operator. Where possible though, ignore the menu system completely.
  7. When all else fails, give up and write a letter. Call centre staff are simply not equipped to deal with unusual enquiries; and certainly nothing to do with legal stuff. They can do basic, routine stuff, but as soon as it gets a little complex they're outside their job description. A letter however will get to the right people who can deal with your issue.

I hope this helps... add your own (but please save the jokes for the bear garden) if they're useful and relevant.

8: Get straight to the point with the operative. If they hint that they cannot/will not deal with your issue then ask to be transferred to their manager...call centre people have "turnaround targets" - if your call is with them for only 60 seconds they are one point closer to their bonus...besides, for you it means you will get nearer to the top of the decision making tree...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

9/ Try and get their name and extension number (alway's a good trick to try and do this as your very first question, before they realise what the conversation is about). This way they feel obliged to help you, as they know you could always ring back and speak to their superior and complain. They also realise then that if the issue doesn't get sorted there and then, your going to be ringing back.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

10, now this isnt a joke i have used it, obstinate and rude call handlers love it, i spoke to 1st direct the other day with a rude and stubbon call handler as it was going no where i hummed "little Spanish Flea" or any such jovial ditty you care to choose balamory has worked for me before and the guy couldnt help but laugh as i told him it was MY hold Music and could he hang on, i ended up being put through to a manager with a "have a good weekend":D