babytots v hsbc

babytots
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after putting off sending a the prelimary letter off to them for my partner i have finally got round to it. my brother is printing it off for me and it should be sent off on saturday.

i have my lba written up ready to print off and send if they don't respond.

i am confused to what happens after this i know then i take it to the small claims court but it all seems so confusing. so if theres anyone out there who is willing to follow our story and tell me what to do when the time comes i will be eternally grateful. i really don't want to muck this up for my partner and he is worse then me when it comes to things like this so please if you can continue to read my thread and reply.

thanks very much hsbc here we come

luv babytots x x x

Guest ian cognito

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of people keeping an eye on your thread and offering advice as and when you need it.

Keep reading, it's amazing how it all slots into place!!

Good luck

hi thanks ian. like you say it should all fall into place it just seems all so confusing but i am reading through other threads and any info i can get my hands on.

a question though do you have any idea how long it will take til a) my partner gets his money back or b) when he goes to court (if he has to)

luv babytots x x x

Hiya BBt dont worry, just go one step at a time and it will all fall into place.

You should read this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/38807-newcomer-heres-user-guide.html

and this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15518-charges-description-statements-please.html

I hope you have used the spreadsheet to do your schedule of charges and not just sent copy statements because that wont work at all.

Difficult to give a time scale at the mo because of the volume of claims but generaly your looking at 3 to 4 months and if you go to court you will be the first person who has.

Pete

hi well i have sent of my letter asking for the grand total of £1,327.50. yes i did send them a spreadsheet of the charges and not statements.

we sent it by recorded delievery although i don't know whether they have signed for it or not yet as my partner has taken the ticket that post office give you to work with him so i shall find out tonight.

14 days to go to see if they reply and then it will be a lba.

now with this letter do i send them the charges with the intrest added on or not or is that the next stage.

thanks

luv babytots x

hi can anyone help me i have been going through the guide to reclaiming bank charges to see what the next stages will involve i came up to the court bit that says that some people may be exempt from court fees. theres a link and a reference number for a form to use to see if you will be exempt or not but it says that the form cannot be found.help!!!

thanks

babytots x

Hi BBt, firstly interest, there are two types of interest,

Overdraft Interest that was charged on a monthly basis to your account part of which was due to HSBC's charges making your account more overdrawn than it should have been, this should form part of your claim. Don’t worry if you haven’t claimed this its a bit of a complicated process and a lot of people decide its not worth it.

Statutory Interest, this is the 8% the courts allow on top of your claim and should be added to your claim figure when you submit your claim to the court.

I've just tried the fee exemption button and it seems to be ok here, I would try it again and if its still not working give the court a call and ask

pete

thanks pete. i have read up on the intrest etc just didnt know if i include it on y spreesheet of charges with my lba but i have read other posts and realised you add the charges after you send the lba and make your court claim.

will try the exemption thing again

thanks

babytots x

don't include the 8% interest until you file the court claim

here is a link for the exemption stuff:Are You Exempt From Court Fees?.

when you file:

if you do the exemption form i think you will then need to do an N1 form rather than the mcol

Getting MCOL Right

this thread is very thorough - and helpful

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone well my lettter was sent of on the 3rd and today my partner recieved a letter back saying we are looking into it blah blah blah told him it was a letter to stall him so now we are waiting til the 17th to send off the lba. after that is when i will need your help coz up til now everythings been straightforward but after the lba it all seems so confusing lol.

i think we may be eligable for the excemption for court fees but not 100% sure just yet will have to have another read through it again.

luv babytots x x x

Hiya BBt, one step at a time :rolleyes:... get your LBA sent on time and then have a look at the threads for MCOL / submitting an N1, its not hard but needs to be checked a couple of times just to make sure you have done it right and as ever if you have a problem ask here :p.

pete

thanks pete once my daughter has gone down for her afternoon nap i shall be catching up on alot of reading lol.

i'm sure it will all click into place once i have a good read and if it doesnt its nice to know that there are people here to help me out so thanks for that.

luv babytots x x x

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys quick update i haven't been able to send my lba as i have been really poorly. i'm pregnant so had morning sickness really bad then my partner decided to share his cold with me and my 10 month old daughter so not really left my bed for the past couple of weeks. am all better now so i'm emailing my brother my letter and hopefully post it monday.

something i don't get though do you put the intrest in or not becuase i'm sure someone said you don't yet the letter says this

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX.

so do i calculate it or not???!!!!!

thanks for any help. i wanna get this right as we are moving house soon and getting our first mortgage so this money will come in handy.

luv babytots x x x

There are different types of interest.

Overdraft Interest - which you can claim and is what you are asking for in the LBA. This is the monthly interest charge that is made when you are overdrawn

8% Statutory Interest - This is the interest that you can add when you file your claim with the court not before. This is the interest that you want to charge HSBC for having had your money for so long.

Contractural Interest - This is for the same reason as the Statutory above but you are charging HSBC at the same Interest rate that they would charge you (currently 18.3%) this is a bit more invovled so most people don't claim it. :-)

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

No problem. On your statements the will be charges each months saying something like "Interest Charge" you should add these charges to the advanced spreadsheet along with the column to fill in what your current balance was when the interest charge was made.

The alternative is to continue with the simple spreadsheet and leave out the bit about interest from your LBA. :-)

hi thanks now i understand i think we shall leave the intrest out. my partner saves most of his statements but theres a couple missing so we checked online for any charges we had missed so it means going through all his statements again to find every single charge which will take me forever to do and my head is hurting too much to concentrate lol.

don't think my partner will be too upset though if it wasn't for me he wouldn't even know about reclaiming his bank charges so i think he will be happy with whatever amount he gets.

thanks again for helping. will keep updated once i sent the l.b.a as i know i wil need help then :-| .

luv babytots x x x

i don't think the o/d interest will have amounted to a very large amount - you do need to do the advanced s/s and only a portion, or all, or none of the o/d interest is reclaimable - on my son's acct it added about £300 on a claim of 1500 but it was going back almost the full six years and he was always well overdrawn. if you were in postitive balance - the s/s will have picked up nothing for that particular interest debit - so most peeps are just as well leaving it off - unless you have a rather large claim.

i'm just saying that to put your mind at rest -

so on that letter where it say you have taken from me xxx in charges - then just leave out the "plus xxx in overdraft interest."

the simple spreadsheet will calculate how much the 8% interest is that you will be added at the claim stage - so if you want to use the spreadsheet as you list of charges - just fold back or cover over the 8% column when using it with the first 2 letters.

Every penny counts when you have a new little one on the way

pete

But when you have a 10 month old and are suffering in a pregnancy time is important and for a few quid it can feel like a lot of hassle. :-)

it does seem to me, again, like the ones who probably need it the most are least in a position to do something about it. that goes for baby, but also for peeps whose benefits are being denied them to pay for o/d's, those who are strong armed into managed loans and a lot of other situations. as we say - the rich don't need to claim theirs back - they never got any charges in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys a quick update. still havent sent off the lba. we are on holiday at the begining of june and if i had of sent it of and ended up doing court proceedings after that we wouldnt be home to recieve any letters informing us of dates etc etc. so we will be sending the lba before we go on holiday then by the time we grt back that would of been their 14 dqys to respond to it and then cans tart court proceedings.

luv babytots,hollie and bump x x x

good thinking - last bump we knew of on here turned out to be 11 lb. - hope you get a lower offer!

took me a while to figure out what you meant by hoping i get a lower offer thought you was meaning something about my claim was just going to ask what you meant but now i realsie you mean you hope my baby doesnt weigh as much lol.

fingers crossed it wont my first was 7lb 4oz so anywhere near there will be good. i dont envy anyone giving birth to a baby that big :grin:

luv babytots,hollie and bump x x x