• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

noomill v Student Loan Company ***WON***

noomill060
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now to start building a case of harrassment against these creeps.

And, of course a nice BIG Wasted Costs Order.

I'll get that £1.94 back, by Jupiter!

:D

**The gods of Imperial Rome remain unavailable for comment at this time, thank you for holding**

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great conversation with the SLC today- they tried to say that I needed to pay them money, even though the account is in dispute. I had the joy of telling them that I would not be paying them anything until the court action was concluded.

"What court action?" That stumped them.:D

They try to browbeat me now, and the conversation gets so funny, my husband has to run into the kitchen so they can't hear him laughing.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Same thing happened with me. It takes a while before your notice of claim gets delivered.

They last rang me on the same day the Court papers were delivered.

Then-

Silence.

Where's the fun in that?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 1 month later...

As my claim seems to be going down to the wire, I've been re-reading this for tips!

Still no phonecalls from them, though.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 1 month later...

wow i am well impressed with this thread! SLC figure in my debt management plan with the CCCS, howver they continue to send me arrears letters which they charge me £20 for, once my court thing with barclays is out the way tomorrow i fully intend to get my SLC stuff together and take them out too!

Yes- its great fun. I've won but arguments over correct account numbers mean I still haven't been paid!

It just shows how useless the SLC can be when they try to argue that I've supplied the wrong account numbers, when in fact they have!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 3 weeks later...
Well, well, well- this morning I recieved this letter from Harper Macleod, solicitors acting on behalf of the SLC:

:D

"Dear noomill060,

noomill060 v SLC

Claim number 07/36092

We act on behalf of SLC and write in reference to the claim initiated by you in Craigavon Court against our clients.

We have been instructed by our clients to make an offer of settlement on the following terms:

1. that the £200 of charges due on your account and currently in dispute be removed from your account numbered 92xxxWRONGACCOUNTNUMBERxxx

2. that the remaining £80 of charges due on your account and not detailed in your claim be removed from your account numbered (92xxxWRONGACCOUNTNUMBERxxx)

3. that the charge of £12 applied to your loan account numbered 92xxxWRONGACCOUNTNUMBERxxx on 23 May 2002 paid by you on 24 Feb 2005 and currently in dispute be refunded to you by cheque

4. that your Court fee of £36 be refunded to you by cheque and

5. that the interest of £43.07 claimed be refunded to you by cheque.

Please note the the decision to resolve this matter has been taken for commercial reasons and that our clients do not accept liability for you claims. As is clear from the defence lodged on behalf of SLC, SLC's position is that the charges applied to your account have been applied in accordance with the terms of your loan agreement with SLC.

This letter is written entirely without predudice - bla bla bla..."

So looks like another victory for noomill060 and CAG.

The mighty Student Loans Company is just as terrified as all the other financial institutions, of having to explain themselves and their unlawful penalty charges in front of a judge.

I will email the person who signed this letter and ask them to clarify the account number and (assuming this was a simple mistake) accept their offer.

Nice of them to find another £80 of charges which are no where mentioned in my statements, eh?

**The gods of Imperial Rome remain unavailable for comment at this time**

**The Bishop of Wakefield is on an ecumenical fact finding tour of Scarborough and is not expected to be back at his desk until later in the year**

WELL DONE NOOMILL! had I been awake I should have read this!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After SLC removed the charges I paid off the remaining balance of arrears

In connection with a SAR non compliance case against NCO (SLC's debt collectors), NCO have let it slip that after this case was complete they were told to cease collection on the grounds that "the debtor has been unable to satisfy repayment"

Hmmm...

I think another letter to SLC is in order. This time for processing inaccurate data. Lies in other words.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Noomill, I am new to this site, but I have been reading your posts and saw that you took on SLC and won. Congratulations by the way, they can be intimidating (or try to be)

SLC are chasing me at the min. I am not letting them stress me out for now (luckily they don't have my phone number!) So when they send a letter I just write back to them after a week or two and ask then to verify / explain why they think I owe them that amount, asking for statements / calculations etc which of course never materialise.

Every now and again, the process starts over and gets as far as them threatening me with court.

My question here is, what is so bad about "calling their bluff" so to speak? If they are as desperate as we believe that they do not want to go before a judge then surely we can all just sit back and wait for them to actually pick a court date themselves, which will never happen?

Has the SLC ever taken anyone to court and won?

I don't know much about the legal ins and outs but common sense seems to point towards SLC not being able to organise the proverbial in a brewery so why would anyone worry that they could actually make it to a court with any valid case even if their case WAS valid?!

I am thinking about saving myself 30 mins per month and just ignoring them from now on. Or would you not advise that?

Basically they overpaid me some grant money which I would have been happy to pay back straight away had it not been for their very rude and spiteful woman in cust serv. PLUS they tried demanding £176 more than it should have been so on a matter of principle I am not letting them have the original amount until they change their attitude, admit their error and apologise for being incompetent.

If they have added any of their fake £20 fees for letters sent to you, you can start action to force them to remove them, but if I were you in this situation, I would simply repay the amount that you know you have been overpaid.

You wont get them to apologise or change their attitude, though!

recieved a letter from SLC cant say what it says, but very interesting.

Grrrr!

You tease!

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Fantastic work noomill! I'm very new to this site and am in the process of stamping my CCA request to be sent by recorded delivery(!) today to SLC.

I and my partner have experienced the aggressive and intimidating tactics of Mackenzie Hall (a whole new thread in itself!) acting on behalf of the SLC, and this intimidation has had a profound effect on our daily lives, with phone calls being received both at weekends and in the very late evening from obnoxious call centre operatives.

The saddest part of the case (which has been going on now since 1997) is that this entire debt would have been deferred and the massive charges they have since levied on the account not plonked onto the account, had SLC fulfulled their original obligation to send out a deferrment form to my partner in 1997 when he requested it on three separate occasions.

He undertook a degree in good faith and with the knowledge that he would be able to pay what he owes as and when his means allowed. Their treatment of consumers is shocking and shameful especially in the light of the fact that it involves many who have worked extremely hard in order to succeed in the dream of a degree, in order to try and add more knowledge and ethusiasm to the world. I'm sorry if I seem a little emotional here, but I have just stayed up all night reading all the posts about the CCA requests and all the posts regarding the SLC as we are still so worried that we will have bailiffs trying to knock down our door.

This debt has been a powerful burden on us and has reached the stage that MH are threatening bailiffs should he not be able to pay the whole loan off in full (which is completely impossible as we are both on a very low income) and it has been a real lifeline to find this site and some fellow support against the underhand actions of both the SLC and Mackenzie Hall.

Without you guys we wouldn't have had the courage to take this further, and had no idea we could defend ourselves against their constantly threatening letters and phone calls.

So a big big thank you to you all and I await the latest installment of your case noomill and thanks for having the courage to stand up to them!

I will let you all know the outcome of the CCA request and llok forward to hearing about other cases...Together we can fight these bullies...Thanks!