Mercers Debt Collections Ltd / Barclaycard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice and a step by step (moron-proof) procedure on how to deal with the letter(s) Mercers have been sending me on behalf of Barclaycard.

My Outstanding Balance is £667.93

My Overdue Amount is £367.93 (£300 limit)

I've not contacted anyone about this yet, and I'm a bit late with things as I've just moved out of my Parents' house into a place with my Girlfriend and Barclaycard/Mercers are sending stuff and calling my old address.

I'm not terribly worried about the debt as a bit of good fortune just netted me £3000. However, I still intend to write off as much of the debt as I can get away with.

I am about to send my first letter to The Woolwich (It's lucky my girlfriend works for them and she got me all my charge dates and amounts gratis!) claiming back just under £400 in charges.

I assume I can do the same with Barclaycard and any advice is welcome on how to do so.

I don't have a phone in my new place yet, so I might need to do things via snail mail (I don't really want them to have my mobile number) And I certainly don't want them calling/mailing my old address, which just makes my Parents annoyed...

Should I pay the debt off first, and then claim back charges, or wait to hear about a charge claim etc..

I think I've rambled on and gotten myself confused. Hopefully someone here will understand.

Cheers.

I assume I can do the same with Barclaycard and any advice is welcome on how to do so.

If Mercers are chasing you for this... they need a CCA request from you first. The template is here :

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

Scroll down to Letter N... enclose a cheque for £1... and send it by recorded delivery. Mercers have 12 working days (from receipt) to comply with your request.

If they send the account back to Barclaycard (which seems likely), you can then deal directly with them to re-claim unlawful charges on the account. You do this by sending a SAR to Barclaycard, which costs £10... Barclaycard have 40 days to comply with this one. I will go and find you the link....

Here is the link for the SAR :

1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

Adapt it to your needs... enclose a cheque for £10... and send by rec. delivery.

Once you have the details back from your SAR, come back onto the site for advice on how to re-claim the charges.

:)

Thanks for your post.

I have filled in 'Letter N' and will send it of tomorrow.

Does anybody have the correct address for sending the 'SAR' to Barclaycard?

The address will be on the back of a Barclaycard bill.... and I assume that the cheque should be made payable to Barclaycard....

Make sure this goes off by rec. delivery as well....

:)

Also, to whom do I make my fee cheques out to?

Hi I spoke to Barclaycard Customer Relations (0161 200 7476) today they, unlike Barclaycard, were v helpful.

They advise that SAR letters go to:

Data Protection Team

Department LRC

Barclaycard

Northampton

NN4 7SG

(Cheque for £10 made payable to Barclaycard)

Hope that helps and good luck. :) :)

PS I have a thread started the other day in the Barclaycard section of Barclays Bank. There have been a few helpful; hints on there which you might also find helpful.

I don't know how to link this reply to those threads though :confused:

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest 30 March 07

Statements received 2 May

SAR sent Barclays 30 March 07

SAR sent Barclaycard 30 March 2007

SAR sent RBS 5 April 2007

Hi,

Barclaycard responded to my CCA within the 12 + 2 days timescale (just) - although what they supplied does not have an original signed agreement -no signature on anything. All they supplied was Terms and conditions and a statement of account. The SAR request sent around 60 odd days ago still needs full compliance. If you send a SAR to Barclaycard they will drag it out forever. You may well have to threaten them with everything to get compliance! Their in house collectors Mercers are complete morons to say the least. They either cannot read or think they are above the law. Hubby has had repeated phone calls from them at work despite 5 letters to tell them to correspond in writing only. They have not complied with the CCA request - although Barclaycard did (to some extent). Mercers just keep on hassling you no matter what you throw at them. You should keep up your repayments to Barclaycard or face the risk of a default and if the charges are less than the default you will have trouble getting it removed. Barclaycard are absolute B*****ds, they think they make the laws! Mercers are even worse. Read up on here tho - there is some great advice. If by chance they have defaulted you and your charges are more than the default amount you stand a good chance of getting them to remove it.

good luck!!

Ajjars

Thanks Ajjars :) As you say there is huge amounts of useful information on here. The last person I spoke to from Mercers (they rang) denied being anything to do with Barclaycard - well until I had his name, agent number and started to play back the dictating machine - then well I guess he fainted cause the line went dead - shame!! Not heard a peep from them since.

Anyway - Who did you adress your CCA request to re Barclaycard ?

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Wish i'd thought of that!!! We all know they are part of Barclaycard - do they think we are all morons? lol Whenever I refer to them in my letters to Barclaycard I always say "your in house collectors" they have never challenged this.

Anyway my CCA request was just sent to Barclays Lombard Road address and headed TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN. Didn't bother to put a specific name. All of the letters we have had have all been from different people anyway. All we got back in compliance was tems and conditions and a statement of account. No signed agreement, not even a signed Application form. Mercers have not responded to their CCA request though. They are now in default. We did get an application form back for one account when the PPP was challenged, but it has very definately NOT been filled in by my husband or me.

Good luck!

Ajjars

• Haha 1

Hi I spoke to Barclaycard Customer Relations (0161 200 7476) today they, unlike Barclaycard, were v helpful.

They advise that SAR letters go to:

Data Protection Team

Department LRC

Barclaycard

Northampton

NN4 7SG

(Cheque for £10 made payable to Barclaycard)

Hope that helps and good luck. :) :)

PS I have a thread started the other day in the Barclaycard section of Barclays Bank. There have been a few helpful; hints on there which you might also find helpful.

I don't know how to link this reply to those threads though :confused:

Well - B/Card haven't signed for this one as yet :Cry: (though the SARs to Nat West & Barclays also sent on Friday, have been signed for). Watch this space I guess.

• 7 months later...

I'm having problems myself with them, i made a agreement with mercers back in august o6 to pay £25pm (credit limit £300, but was over at £533), they agreed interest would be stopped but would charge me £12 each month for being over my limit, also would cancel payment protection. Somewhere along the line my address had been changed on the barclaycard system, they had been sending statements to a wrong address, how? received one after i complained when mercers contact me saying i still owed £20 and that was it, but statement now shows i owe more than the start £603, how can this be when I have been making payments each month! Anyhow been on the phone to several different people at barclaycard who can only see the last 6 monts of my account and know nothing about a agreed payment plan, I have the letter from mercers dated august 06 luckily. Now sat waiting for complaints to ring (within 30 mins), lets see how long that takes!

• 2 weeks later...

More Mercers bad administration. Judging by all your comments it seems to me that they dont have any admin skills at all. I have a payments plan with Barclaycard set up on the 6th September 2007and all is going well.

Well so i thought. On arriving home tonight i have a letter from Mercers.

stating the usual rubbish. Despite a recent letter from Barclaycard you are still behind with your payments. I have not had any such letter from Barclaycard, what gives them the right to tell lies and behave like morons as one person said in the forum.I called Mercers, they refused to accept the Barclaycard agreement .So i did the next best thing and called Barclays, who promised to speak to a Andrew Yau. Customer Relations Manager and inform him of my complaint. ( the writer of the letter setting out the agreement ) But what springs to my mind is which idiot informed Mercers that i was behind in payments. When i wasnt and whats more that will show on my Credit File

Something for you all to check. When you get mail allways check the address of the sender against the postmark and you will be surprised that many times they are not the same place. My Letter from Mercers came from Liverpool. Yet the envalope address was Northampton. A hell of a long way to go to post a letter, or are they pretending to be somebody they are not and is this not illegal .

The mind boggles at the antics of these so called customer care related companies and the S*** B** Debt collection companies which are usualy in house based They think we are all stupid. But the fight has just begun come on you public and defend your rights and challenge these companies

actions to do things without your knowledge.

Regards Blencathra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi to everyone, this is my first time I have ever posted on a thread. I need some good solid advoce regarding Barclaycard.

I owe Barclaycard £30k. (it's a very long story) I have had a set agreement repayment of £288.00 per month for about the last 2.5 years. Mid last year I wrote to them and informed them that I could no longer pay this amount. Every month I send them a cheque for around £50.00 with a letter stating that is all I can afford at present. I do not pay any interest on this amount.

Every month I receve a letter stating that they do not accept this repayment, but they still bank the cheques. One of the last letters I had was that they are going to refer the debt to Mercers and issue a default notice. I know I owe them the money - I don't dispute this - I am scared witless.. At one stage last year I offered to settle the debt at around £7k or asked if we cold come to some sort of arrangement. The declined. This is the only debt (aprt from my mortgage) that I now have, I had even more debt that I have now managed to get rid off by coming to arrangement with the creditors. Just Barclaycard left. I am no longer in a position to offer part payment. Should I just carry on what I'm doing - or are there any loopholes anywhere that i could exploit. Am terrified of mercers starting to contact me as I work in local government.

Any advive anyone could give me would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had another telephone call from Mercers chasing my Barclaycard debt, however I faxed and posted a letter to them last week requesting they did not contact me at work. (This is the only number they have -thank god). I spoke to someone named Donna, I have already informed them we are currently setting up a DMP. She asked for my home number, mobile number and debit card details - she said so they could take the money from my account in two weeks. I told her I do not have a debit card anymore (I do), and I don't have a mobile or landline number (again I do).

Any suggestions as to what I should do now, ignore them or complain about them still calling me at work.