• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Givvynarna vs A & L

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Just been advised to start my own thread about claiming back my bank charges from A&L. I'm sending my prelim letter today (by recorded delivery) after sorting out all my old statements and i can claim nearlly £1000! I didn't even realise that it could have accumualted to that much over 3 years! It's absolutely outrageous! Well, the money is rightfully mine and i can't wait to get it back. One of my friends has been through all this with HSBC before xmas and he didn't even have to go to court. I can sense that my claim probably will, but i don't care because i'm ready to go all the way. It is MY money after all!

I already have a parachute account with HSBC, it's been open for ages so i'm guessing i'm going to need to make the switch soon after what i've heard.

Although, i did hear that some people have gotten compensation from A&L closing their current accounts, as it was deemed unfair action taken by the bank. Is this true, and who would i report it to if the situation did arise?

Anyway, good luck to me. All help and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

xxx;)

Hi there,

Just been advised to start my own thread about claiming back my bank charges from A&L. I'm sending my prelim letter today (by recorded delivery) after sorting out all my old statements and i can claim nearlly £1000! I didn't even realise that it could have accumualted to that much over 3 years! It's absolutely outrageous! Well, the money is rightfully mine and i can't wait to get it back. One of my friends has been through all this with HSBC before xmas and he didn't even have to go to court. I can sense that my claim probably will, but i don't care because i'm ready to go all the way. It is MY money after all!

I already have a parachute account with HSBC, it's been open for ages so i'm guessing i'm going to need to make the switch soon after what i've heard.

Although, i did hear that some people have gotten compensation from A&L closing their current accounts, as it was deemed unfair action taken by the bank. Is this true, and who would i report it to if the situation did arise?

Anyway, good luck to me. All help and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

xxx;)

Hi again, givvynarna. By all means complain if they close your account. First complain to A&L themselves, follow their procedure to the limit, get a letter of Final Decision, then you can take it to the FOS.

As I said to you before, you will have to start court proceedings before they'll pay you back, but you will not have to end up in one as they only use it as a ruse to see if you are serious enough to go the whole way. They presumably have a lot of success in scaring people off.

Keep reading and keep posting, good luck ,(you shouldn't need it!). :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i sent the data protection act letter to A&L way back in October time and they told me it would be £10 for my statements. It's taken me this long to find them all cos i didn't want to pay the £10! But after i sent my prelim letter recorded delivery last week, they sent me a response letter to the data protection letter, not the preliminary letter. Hope that makes sense? Is this a common occurence?

I think their computers must be going haywire up at the A&L HQ with all these letters coming at them left right and centre.

I will still hold on till Friday before i send my LBA! Can't wait to smell those crisp notes! It'll help pay my debts to my mother!!! :wink:

If you have all the old statements that you need to support your claim and have sent them the schedule of charges that you are claiming then I would ignore the tenner request. The fact that they have not answered your prelim letter is their problem, not yours. As you say send the LBA on Friday with the schedule plus interest, again 14 day deadline and then MCOL.

If you can prove that they were sent the DPA letter and when they received it then keep a copy of that and their response for your court bundle....it just goes to show their incompetence.

Hope this helps and good luck

One thing that I forgot to mention is that rather than send your letters registered send it by "Special Delivery" (they are the silver forms in the PO). The reason that I send by Special Delivery is that it is guaranteed delivery (24hrs) and you can track the letter on line and print off the details of the person who signed for it. That way you have a complete audit trail from post to delivery...better evidence for your court bundle if you need it.

I know that Special Delivery is a little more expensive, but worth it for the peace of mind and audit trail..

Regards

Kandinsky

I am such an idiot!!! I've only just realised that i didn't send my LBA by recorded or Special delivery. I was in such a hurry when i was sorting out my post on Friday that i just put a stamp on it and put it in the post! AARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Do you think i should send it again by recorded delivery today??? Or just wait and send the final letter and then file my MCOL??? Should i just stick to deadlines or should i make sure i've got a detailed report of all correspondence???

HELP! :-? :-? :-?

Ok, totally forgot to send again, but have done it today. My LBA is going out recorded delivery this afternoon, i changed the date on the letter to today, so it looks like i've been nice and given them an extra week to give me my money back. Haven't heard a hoot from A&L since i sent the last LBA, but that's probably because i didn't send it by recorded delivery so they don't have to acknowledge i sent it! Anyway, i know each day that passes, my money comes a litle closer! It would be great if i could have this all sorted by the end of May so i can use it for spending money on my summer holiday!

Thanks to you all for your continued support and advice. Looking forward to achieving the amazing successes that others have on this site.

Givvynarna. x

I know, I'm such a blonde at times. If this was the only thing i had to concentrate on in life i would do it perfectly. However, other things just seem to be getting in the way and my claim just seems to disappear right out of me head!

Nevermind, i'm off to the post office in my lunch hour today to send it. :lol:

Just as a prcautionary measure i thought i'd check out whether my prelim letter definitely was recieved/delivered. It turns out that Royal Mail have lost my letter!!! Can't believe it!!! I've just sent my LBA by Special Delivery this afternoon, and my pre lim letter never got there. Does this mean thatr the bank are going to think i'm an idiot for sending the LBA before even sending the Prelim???

What do i do now????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Givvynarna

I take it that you sent the prelim by recorded/registered/specail mail? If so you have a record that you sent the prelim and the fact that Royal Mail lost it is due to circumstances beyond your control. Let the bank think what they like, if you have followed the timetable then you should be okay. It is not as if the bank has'nt seen this before.

That said you may want to send them a further copy of the LBA with prelim attached prior to MCLO/Court N1, but I really dont see the need.

Someone else may have a different opinion, but I think you will be okay. After all its not you fault.

Good Luck and keep us updated

Givvy,

This happened with me although my LBA was lost and I had to send a new one, so I effectively gave them an extra week.

I think it will be fine. Note for the future is double check 2 and 3 days after you posted the recorded deivery letter to amke sure it was delivered, this way if it isnt then you can post out again straight away.

With the LBA you are giving them ample time to pay up (14 days) so I think it will eb fine also.

Just make sure this one is delivered.

I checked online today and my LBA was recieved this morning. I'm not worrying about my prelim as i have the original reciept/proof of sending so really it doesn't matter whether it got there or not. So they now have 2 weeks till i have to issue my MCOL, but i'm not expecting anything from them at all in the mean time. I have seen a post on this site, stating that someone sent another letter prior to issuing their MCOL, giving the bank a little more time, but that person recieved their money without even having to issue a court claim. It looked like this:

Dear Sirs,

I am sad to learn that you are still refusing to refund the unfair and illegal bank charges that have been placed on my account over the last six years.

Please accept this letter as notification that I will be beginning legal proceedings against Alliance and Leicester to reclaim the full amount as laid out in my previous schedule of charges plus interest and any incurred legal costs if I do not receive a full refund of the charges (or notification of your intention to issue a full refund of the charges) on my account within the next 14 days.

I’m sure you are aware that every previous case of this kind has resulted in the full amount being returned to the claimant. I therefore, respectfully request that you save us both a lot of time and effort and refund the charges to me directly without court intervention.

I look forward to your response.

Does anyone think this is worth sending? I think it's a good ides, but i'm not sure about giving them another 14 days to respond as i would like my money asap!

Any thoughts?

:p

Yeah I also saw that before doing my court claim. It could be worth it but I would not give them 14 days, I would say max 7.

I also think it depends on the amount you are claiming.

I had already issued my MCOL claim but I m going to try that tactic for Capital One

The only thing you will lose by doing it is 7 days, but you might get your money quicker

If you do decide to do it I would send it to the a named contact from the legal team rather than an unnamed address

oh right, and which address do i send it to? I've been sending things to:

Alliance & Leicester PLC

2nd Ops TCU3,

Bridle Road

Bootle

Liverpool

L30 4GB

What happens if i've been sending things to the wrong address? What do i do?:confused:

Ok, thanks you guys. There's nothing i can do now until i send that next letter on 8th May, and i got a lot of 'life' stuff to get thorugh before then!

I'll keep you all updated if there's any progress.

Yours Always,

Givvynarna. xxx