pension tax relief

oblivion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.gifThis seems rather dull on the face of it, but anyone on the higher rate of income tax who’s not doing this could be missing out on lots of cash.

A beginner’s guide to claiming back the money:

When you pay into a Personal or Stakeholder pension you get tax relief at the normal rate of income tax - 22% (i.e. for every £78 pension contribution on your pay slip, £100 goes into your pension – so the tax bods give you back 22% of the full amount).* If earn more than £33,301 you pay the higher rate of income tax (40%), but you still only automatically get the 22% tax relief.* However, you are entitled to claim the additional 18% on your pension payments.

All you need to do is send your P60 (that you’ll get at the end of this month) and a covering letter detailing your gross pension contributions for the year (i.e. what’s going into your pension, rather than what’s coming off your pay slip) to the following address. Then they’ll calculate what you are owed.

HM Revenue and Customs

Birmingham Office

City Centre House

30 Union Street

Birmingham

B2 4AE

• 9 months later...

hello oblivion

do you know if the procedure set out in your post still apply? i sent my info to that birmingham address and have had no response. have read elsewhere that you need to fill in a tax return to claim pension tax relief but not sure whether this is still correct.

thanks very much

danny