Jay vs NatWest

JayC82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I'm new to this site. Just hoping for some help.

In November 2006 I wrote to NatWest and sent a cheque for £10, in request for the last 6 years of statements from my account. They wrote back to me before their 40 days to respond was up and stated that, as I'd written from an address different to that on the account at the time, they needed me to go into a branch and confirm my current address before they could send me the statements. Fair enough, I thought. They also confirmed that they had cashed the cheque for the statements.

The 40 days was up on December 31st, and I've heard nothing since. The letter did not have a contact phone number on it.

I asked in a branch what to do and they said the statements should automatically get sent out anytime. So I waited, and nothing.

Since then I've had a lot on my plate and keep meaning to get back onto this but then something comes up and I forget to persue it.

Now I've just had my car break down, 3 MONTHS after buying it from carcraft (first mistake I know!) and now have a £3k bill for a new engine. So getting tis money back has become essential rather than something of a bonus to me.

Any help on what to do next is much appreciated. :)

Jayc82,

Have a look at these,http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/ .Sorry to hear about your problems. Its your money obviously better in your pocket than theirs. Plenty of help available here. Good luck.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

I've just written the following:

Dear Sir or Madam:

On the 17th November 2006 I wrote to yourselves to make a Data Protection Act disclosure request in relation to my account, XXXXXXXX. I have enclosed a copy of the original letter for your review. At the time of sending the original letter to yourselves, I enclosed a cheque for £10 to cover the request. I later received a response regarding my request which informed me of the need to confirm my address with my branch before any statements would be sent, and which also confirmed that my cheque had been cashed as payment for my statements.

I confirmed a change of address with yourselves and waited patiently. Unfortunately, no statements have been forthcoming, and we are now 130 days from the date of the original claim.

Since the original 40 days in which the bank must issue my statements has passed, as of December 27th 2006, I am writing to request delivery of the statements ASAP, and do not think I am being unreasonable in allowing 7 days for this before making an official complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office for a breach of DPA and also raising an official complaint with yourselves.

Sincerely,

James Carter

I'm writing to the big Headquarters in Leeds as that's where my account is held and also where I wrote my original letter to.

Does that sound ok to send?

Hi Jay - SAR's should really be sent to the Edinburgh address (livelylad has a stickie on this just above the main threads). I'd be inclined to send this letter to Edinburgh, but c.c. your own branch in if you've already been dealing with them on the DP stuff. You'll probably get a much quicker response from Edinburgh though. Good luck, hedgey xx ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Try this address Jay:

Retail Regulatory Risk

2nd Floor

Cornerstone

60 South Gyle Crescent

Edinburgh

EH12 9WF

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Yesterday I sent my letter off to Edinburgh and also a copy to the Leeds head office. Sent via recorded and also enclosed a copy of my original letter.

Will let you know how I get on guys!

Onwards and upwards now for you Jay. Good luck.

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, I've had nothing from Natwest. Nothing at all!

Feel like they have shown me complete and utter contempt. They send out the statements for everyone else but I can't seem to get anywhere!

I'm giving it til the end of this week then if nothing happens I'm reporting them to the info commissioner's office. But even after I do that, how do I get my hands on the bloody statements?

Jay,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html. this should get you your statements.They have to answer to the info commisioner. Good luck.

This thgread seems to be typical of weay that Nat West treat their customers-when thing go well they cannot do enough for us but when things turn against them then they become aggressive and treat you like something that you have trod on.

Go with the non compliance angle Jay-let them see that the worm has turned.

Also they are faced with a court case themselves this week so the outcome of that could have a huge impact on the claims.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

Thanks folks. Do I go straight to the Template 3 letter seeing as 40 days passed 3 months ago and I've now also given them a further chance to send me my statements?

They need to know I'm not going away!

I would-they have cashed your cheque so this means that they have received your original request so why give them any longer?

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

:) Hi Jay

Whilst I agree that NW have TOTALLY breached the DPA here and that you are now in a position to sue them for non compliance etc....presumably what you really want is your darn statements!

Give this number a call, 08456052605, I and many others have had success chasing up statements with it. The staff are usually helpful, my business statements took 5 months to arrive, till i chased them up.

Hope it works, good luck

Hi Katie, thanks for your help. Unfortunately me not having phone banking set up means they couldn't help on that number but they did put me through to a very helpful girl at Leeds Banking HQ (my branch) who promised to track down and if need be re-order my statements, and call me with an update on Monday :)

She said they may need proof of the £10 being cashed but I said they can take it out of my account again if need be and I will reclaim it later, rather than be held up trying to find a statement to prove the tenner was cashed (it was done from my mum's account as I have no cheque book!) so it looks like progress is being made! Yay!

Hi Katie, thanks for your help. Unfortunately me not having phone banking set up means they couldn't help on that number but they did put me through to a very helpful girl at Leeds Banking HQ (my branch) who promised to track down and if need be re-order my statements, and call me with an update on Monday :)

She said they may need proof of the £10 being cashed but I said they can take it out of my account again if need be and I will reclaim it later, rather than be held up trying to find a statement to prove the tenner was cashed (it was done from my mum's account as I have no cheque book!) so it looks like progress is being made! Yay!

Thats weird, I didnt have phone banking set up either?:confused: But if they put you through to someone helpful, then thats really good news.

Did they offer to send your statements for a fiver?

Hope you get them soon :)