• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial Ombudsman Service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Important Reminder

On 6th April, the

Financial Ombudsman Service will start dealing with complaints about companies that hold Consumer Credit Licence.

"This affects a wide range of businesses from those whose main activities

are lending, credit broking, debt collecting etc – to those such as motor dealers, furniture retailers etc, where consumer credit is secondary to their main activities. Under the new arrangements, all these businesses must follow proper

procedures when dealing with complaints about their consumer credit activities. And their customers have the right to refer unresolved disputes to the Financial Ombudsman Service"

As confirmed by Mr Maynard, the FOS will charge companies approximately £450 for each complaint they investigate.

Just think, 100 complaints ------ £45,000 in fees for Cabot...

Here is a link to their complaint form

If you do complain to the FOS, do not email the form to them as it must be signed by the person making the complaint. Always remember the FOS are not a consumer champion and do not uphold all complaints. But, even if they reject the complaint Cabot still have to pay the fee :)

• Haha 1

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

A dozen new Caboteers step onto the internet,

download their complaint forms, surf around

like only the new can surf around,

their hair regulation-clipped, crisp,

each one clutching a freshly printed form.

They post their letters and leave

I'm ready to do the whole village :)

He didn't come looking for trouble, but trouble came looking for him.

When the smoke clears, it just means he's reloading.

Yep I have held off with this due to the very wonderful thought of helping Cabot part with a small amount of money. There's a few more in the queue behind me.

A few rhia...A FEW??? lol

Just hate every DCA out there

Tbern I read your draft letter but cannot remember the thread. Although it is an excellent letter there is a slight flaw that the company itself will exploit. You have told them in no uncertain terms not to process your data under the data protection act.... however they are likely to choose to do this in limited circumstances, ie they cannot communicate with CRA to remove your default, likewise if any 3rd party is already involved they cannot tell them to stop contacting you.

For everyone else:

Ok so you should first exhaust the company's internal complaints procedure for Ombudsman to take on board. This means you must have produced a letter clearly headed complaint and had it dealt with by their complaints procedure (this is the get out clause they will try to use to stop Ombudsman taking on the case). Those that have (majority I guess) can then start.

I can find nowhere where it says you must issue every complaint to the Ombudsman at one time. It is perfectly fair to resolve one issue this way and give the company chance to resolve another issue through their trained monkeys and then complaints procedure before you take further action.........When they realise how much it may cost them then they may just start being more co-operatative.

Looks like some of these companys need a lot of educated recruits to meet the timescales, any CAG members interested in a large payment in advance salary with a contract term stating that only those fully documented and legally enforceable debts are part of your duties, a salary for nothing by the vibes that are coming out of CAG members?????

Thanks for your comments, I will try and respond to them as best as I can...

Tbern I read your draft letter but cannot remember the thread. Although it is an excellent letter there is a slight flaw that the company itself will exploit. You have told them in no uncertain terms not to process your data under the data protection act.... however they are likely to choose to do this in limited circumstances, ie they cannot communicate with CRA to remove your default, likewise if any 3rd party is already involved they cannot tell them to stop contacting you.

I agree that this is a possibility, but if you read the rest of my thread, you will see that Cabot HAVE removed the default from my credit file. There was a very precise reason why I instructed them to cease and desist in the processing of my personal data, the importance of which is contained within the Data Protection Act and in my next claim

For everyone else:

Ok so you should first exhaust the company's internal complaints procedure for Ombudsman to take on board. This means you must have produced a letter clearly headed complaint and had it dealt with by their complaints procedure (this is the get out clause they will try to use to stop Ombudsman taking on the case). Those that have (majority I guess) can then start.

I try not to blow my own trumpet (not to much anyway), but I deal with the FOS on an almost daily basis in relation to complaints and I have been doing so for over three years. I can confirm that a company cannot stop the FOS from investigating a complaint, unless they resolve the customers concerns.

For clarification, when you make a complaint to the FOS, the first thing they do is write to the company involved asking them to contact the customer to resolve their concerns. If the complaint is still not resolved and the problem is within the remit of the FOS they will write to the company involved for a second time. This second letter will notify the company that they have been charged and will ask the company to a) provide copies of all documentation and b) their version of events.

Like many, I have had a long running complaint against Cabot (complaint first made 8th September 2006). The FOS request that you either obtain a "Final Response" letter from the company involved or you have to give the company eight weeks to resolve your concerns before they will investigate.

I can find nowhere where it says you must issue every complaint to the Ombudsman at one time. It is perfectly fair to resolve one issue this way and give the company chance to resolve another issue through their trained monkeys and then complaints procedure before you take further action.........When they realise how much it may cost them then they may just start being more co-operatative.

As I stated at the start of this thread, from the 6th April 2007, the FOS will start to investigate complaints about Debt Collection Agencies. As many of us have been dealing with Cabot for a long time, I feel that it will be best if as many of us as possible make a complaint to the FOS.

FAQs - changes in consumer-credit complaints-handling

Thanks again

tbern123 vs Cabot

Thanks. I have just re-read last bit (which you kindly responded to) and it is probably not as clear as I intended to to mean. Basically my point was that there is absolutely nothing stopping everyone issuing a complaint to FSA on a issue (when in reality they each may have 2 or more issues), trying to resolve another issue with the company itself (looks like you then didn't miss it 1st FSA complaint). By the time FSA have completed the first one you will then be able to issue yet another complaint to FSA on your second issue, ie it costs cabot or whoever £800 instead of £400

I have previously thought about complaining to the FSA. However, the FSA mainly deal with companies that provide investment services.

As Cabot are not registered with the FSA, I doubt that they would get involved or investigate a complaint

FSA Register__

tbern123 vs Cabot

Your spot on.

I have three complaints against Cabot and I am trying three different routes.

1) HSBC - Court Case pending

2) Barclaycard - FOS

3) Bank of Scotland - media.

I have not started on the Bank of Scotland issue yet, but I feel that there will be interest as Cabot have stated in Black and White that they were going to create a statement and print it on BOS headed paper...

tbern123 vs Cabot

Thanks for that, could you sound them out for me and let me know if they are interested. I could provide a brief summary of events

tbern123 vs Cabot