• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

bexy v lloyds ****WON****

bexy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all ,small question- have gone through prelim request , sent LBA on fri 23rd after "nice letter" saying how sorry they were i had a complaint blah blah So have started reading up on next stage re court .Contacted local sheriff court and asked about approp form was told that as it was a small claims action against bank i need only fill in form 1b ?. Has anyone been through this if can you advise me ,think i am loosing plot.:???:

Hi Bexy

You'll find it here and more info about filling it in

Scottish-procedure

Hope this helps:)

Prelim Sent -27/02/07....

Response Letter rec'd -13/03/07....

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Offer received(10p/cent short)-declined for full amount-28/03/07

Success FULL 6yr amount offered-29/03/07:D

........not yet received because they want me to accept conditions!!:(

Hi bexy

Just been reading the procedure sounds quite good. It should all go through very fast make sure your ready to appear in court and have your arguments ready which are on this site so wou will get your money back. Its the job of the claimant to prove thier case to the Judge.

Also just found out that lloyds tsb do have a registered office in scotland here it is Lloyds TSB Scotland plc. Registered Office: Henry Duncan House, 120 George Street Edinburgh EH2 4LH

Hi again ,form i am asking about is 1b pdf please help!!!!!

Hi Bexy, you're slightly ahead of me but not by much. I too am at the 1b stage although the http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/6165-scottish-procedure.html says we need to fill out form 1 too.

Form 1 is included in the 1b.pdf link.

I'm a tad confused as to why the 1a.pdf link is there. 1a is a form for claims giving the defender 'time to pay'. I don't think this is the case for a big institution like a Lloyds but more like for an individual. Maybe someone can clarify if this is wrong.

The way the 'title' is bracketed on form 1b is slightly confusing too.

DEFENDER'S COPY: (Claim other than claim for or including payment of money where time to pay direction or time order may be applied for).

I think the opening bracket should after the word 'than'.

This may seem picky to some but for someone like me who is very nervous about these matters, it means a great deal.

I'm going to run down later on to the Sheriff's Court later to just confirm what I have to do.

More information here

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/sheriff/small_claims/forms/taking_claim_to_court.pdf

see section 2.04

How to complete the summons

The form of summons (Form 1) to be used is basically the same in all cases... Once you have completed the summons, you should go on to complete the defender's copy of the summons...

section 2.07

Tells you how to fill in 1b. (same as form 1)

Pete

Hi all, Thanks for all replies good to know help is at hand.I have just received letter from TSB stating there reasons for charges and to tell me that if they do not hear from me by 24.5. they will close the file, well thats very nice but I have completed forms 1 and 1b with spreadsheets and am filing at local sheriff court on Fri 6th april .Nervous but will keep you informed.

...if they do not hear from me by 24.5. they will close the file

...am filing at local sheriff court on Fri 6th april .Nervous but will keep you informed.

I got 8 weeks too. I file today. I'll post about my experience later.

Pete

Its natural to feel nervous bexy, but don't worry. I have had two succesful claims against ltsb, and i am currently doing all the work for my o/h against halifax. I just gave our summary cause summons to the sheriff officers yesterday, we are more excited than anything else ;-)

From an earlier post, the reason for form 1 and 1b is when you action your claim, form 1b is sent to the defendant and form 1 is returned to you with the relevant info filled in regarding hearing date etc, think its to save the court paper that you have to fill that out too ;-)

hope that helps

S

Thanks guys hope I can report a success as well, will keep you posted due to it being a holiday weekend I think I will have to leave it until Tues but will definately do it then .

going to Hamilton sheriff court tomorrow to lodgelclaims forms if the worst comes and bank and I go head to head in courtroom where can I look for advise and what arguements will I make apart from they took money that i could not afford and it was against the law.( by the way this is typical of me thinking ahead about possible problems before they occur but want to make sure I am up to speed.

Hi Bexy, your argument should be pretty much what is in your statement of claim on your court forms, If you copied scotias template, you should have a good read over it several times till it sinks in, if the worst comes to worst and you had to stand up in court, these are the points you would have to argue

Good Luck

S

Hiya

I was supposed to go to court today (17th April) against Lloyds TSB, I took all the advice and help from this website, and, against better judgement, went to the bank this morning (court appearance was 10.15) at around 8.25. As the site says they "take it to the wire" I was claiming £680 charges, and lo and behold £752.64 was paid into my account this morning.

Hang in there, they are pussycats, they know they cant win!

Mind you, my partner was miffed, he was hoping it would go to court so my case could be cited and no one else would have all this sh*t!!!!!!

Take care, keep in touch

Big Ted (aka Ann)

HI all , due to lack of funds I had to wait until today to start small claims action in Hamilton sheriff court. On representation of forms I felt like a leper due to reception from clerk, but I have done it ,little OLL me has taken lloyds tsb on it has just hit home that I am actually taking on a legal battle with the Big Guns so from now on in I hope I can have support as this is going to prove to myself and others that housewives and others like me DO have a place in the legal system. Thanks for all who have replied to me so far>>>will keep you posted

Good on you,hopefully not be long now, and you'll get interest!!

..(Probably too much work for the clerks these days.)

Prelim Sent -27/02/07....

Response Letter rec'd -13/03/07....

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Offer received(10p/cent short)-declined for full amount-28/03/07

Success FULL 6yr amount offered-29/03/07:D

........not yet received because they want me to accept conditions!!:(

Hi all- received papers back from sheriff court today my return date is 24/5//07 and prelim hearing date is 31/5/07, it states that it is up to me to find out from the court if lloyds make any response to my claim this has to be done after return date but before 29/5/07. Is this to see if they contact me ?and what if they don,t .

Hi Bexy,

Hopefully it won't get to the return date. It didn't in my case and my return date was the 25th of May, but if it does, you attend to see if they have contacted the court to see if they have expressed a wish to defend or not.

If they do pay out before the return date, which I'm sure they will, they will send you some forms to execute to terminate proceedings.

Pete

Yes, the full amount and the £39 court cost a whole month before the return date.

My thread here

They said, "In view of the amount that you are claiming and the legal costs that Abbey would incur in arranging defence... in court, the decision has been made... your claim will be settled in full."

This is claptrap though. If they were to defend, they would have to justify to the court how their charges are made up. This, they'll definitely not do. So if you've followed the procedures layed out in the forums, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Pete

but if it does, you attend to see if they have contacted the court to see if they have expressed a wish to defend or not.

Just to point out, you dont actually attend on the return date, you just phone up to find out if they have got the defence in.

If they enter a defence you just wait for them to settle before the hearing date, and if they dont enter a defence, you return the form 11 which requests a default judgement

hi Bexy,

Looks like we are in the same boat here with Lloyds, same court dates and the same court. might see you there but hopefully they will settle before this. I'll be keeping and eye on your thread now. Good Luck.

HELP PLEASE--Have I missed something----(my mind is in overdrive) reading through several new threads they have said they took their paperwork to court and received it back several days later they only took the forms 1 and 1b from me and as I have said I have received return date and prelim date and form 11 have I made a mistake somewhere, please help .

Don't worry. They take forms 1 and 1b off you and send you back a return date, prelim hearing date and form 11 as you say. They might give you a photocopy of the forms 1 and 1b back too. (I got a photocopy of the front page of form 1 back).

Hi Bexy all pretty standard stuff, when others get forms 1 and 1b back this is either because they havent been filled in correctly or they are going down the route of Summary cause and they have to get a Sheriff Officer to send them to the defendant. Form 11 will only be required if the bank fail to respond to your summons which you would send in to court for a minute to be lodged and decree. Keep us updated of all goingson and goodluck.