• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mrs thesergeant v Halifx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This really is a great site - well done. My wife and I are mulling over the faqs and considering taking action.

The one thing that really gets our blood boiling is the 8 days it takes Halifax to process and clear a cheque payment into a basic account. Strangely, it is no where near this long going the other way ???

Just another money making [problem] to get money out of us?

Are they acting legally? certainly not morally !!

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

Hello and welcome to the fold ;)

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

:-x The Consumers' Association estimates that banks earn around £30m a year from the practice. :-x

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

This practice really does annoy me.

Is it a fair trading term?

The only people this cheque clearance time applies to is those who are only able to open the Banks basic accounts. Therefore those most likley to have some type of financial difficulties.

Therefore the banks know that at some point an extended clearance time will present them opportunities to apply penalty charges.

What is the OFT doing to stop the banks stealing from us ?

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

It takes the banks EXACTLY three days to clear a cheque.

do a search on the BACS clearing system.

I have had this off the Halifax about taking a longer time with a basic bank account, their feeble excuse was they've had a lot of bounced cheques with basic bank accounts.

In my case it took them ten days ( 2 days bank holiday included) to clear a cheque.

There really is NO excuse for this

regards

Mercedes

There is no excuse, it is simply organised theft. They know that people whose only option due to their credit scoring, are most likley to need quick access to their money to 'financially' live. By putting in place arbitrary rules to penalise such customers makes it highly likely that they will profit from their charges [problem].

I would like to think that the OFT are looking at this aspect of the banks illegal practices as well :-

I have added a bit to the MP letter template to include this issue :-

Dear MP etc .............. >>>

I am writing to you to ask you to let me know what your views are on the serious problem of unlawful penalty charges which are levied against their customers by the UK High Street Banks.

It is a well established rule of Common Law that contractual penalty charges which exceed the actual losses suffered, in this case by the banks when a customer exceeds limits or a direct debit or cheque are returned, are invalid and will not be enforced by the Court. A series of judicial decisions going back over 100 years shows this to be true.

More recently, The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 has confirmed that a disproportionate penalty would be an example of an unfair term and that this would therefore be unenforceable at law.

The Director General of the Office of Fair Trading announced in 2005 that any penalty charge which exceeded actual losses was disproportionate.

Yet despite this, the Banks continue to apply these charges, and of course the vast majority of bank customers accept the banks’ authority that these excessive charges are valid and they pay up without a lot of fuss.

It is not possible that the banks do not realise what they are doing?

I am also very concerned by the application of extended cheque clearance times. The banks only apply such terms to the basic accounts. These accounts are almost exclusively taken up by people with poor credit ratings and/or in financial difficulties. Applying extended cheque clearance times (typically 7 working days) to people in such difficulties can only be done in the sure knowledge that the bank will be able to apply further penalty charges. It is another money making [problem], targeting the most financially vulnerable.

A survey reported this year by the BBC and others, concluded that one in five bank customers suffered from penalty charges in 2005. This is a large proportion of your constituency. Most of these people have incurred penalty charges because they are in difficulty. As I have said the majority of these people are vulnerable and already have difficult lives.

The OFT, which is empowered to investigate, shows signs of being reluctant to do so.

Many people have taken legal action against the banks. The banks almost never go to court. Fearing a formal judgment against them they bluff and threaten, but eventually settle before the day of the trial. Through the Intenet sites at www.ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk and also at www.BankChargesHell.co.uk I am in touch with many people who are challenging the banks, some of whom are beginning legal actions.

The Unlawful Penalty Charge racket is apparently worth £3 billion per year. It is not surprising that they are not anxious to give it up.

I would be grateful if you would reply to me and let me know what your views about this are, and what steps you would be prepared to take to bring this scandal to an end.

Can you think of any reason why, by their dominant position the UK, banks should hold themselves above the civil rule of law?

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am certainly going to encourage as many people as possible to send such letters to MP's and the OFT.

Read through the

I am certainly going to encourage as many people as possible to send such letters to MP's and the OFT.

:) Will certainly send it to our MP

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I had a lengthy conversation with halifax over their policy on processing cheques.........I am told "when you write a cheque it is cleared immediately the date it is banked by the corresponding bank".....ie I give a cheque to a school for music fees for my son for £78 2 days before pay day, the school banks it the next day and it clears immediately from my bank, over the odraft and £30 charge......so I challenged them why it is that when I pay a cheque into the bank it takes up to 5 working days to clear into my bank? even when the cheque i receive is from a halifax customer..........they were not able to answer my question........so people my advice is be very aware that the banks do their own thing..........now I will think of something to tell you that we dont already know.

Power to the People8)

I've just checked my Halifax internet banking.

I paid cheques into my bank on Saturday 6 May 2006.

They're due to clear on the 16 May 2006.

That's seven bank-working days. NINE DAYS in total!!!!

Why shouldn't weekends count either? If you, for example pay a cheque into the bank on a Thursday, what happens over the weekend? Do they have to do some sort of manual input each banking day to make sure the cheque is processed and they can't do this over the weekend?

Of course not.

I feel a complaint comming on, to the FSA, for what it's worth.

Data Protection Act sent to Barclays Bank 15 May 06.

Bank statements received 9 May 06. Owed £610 in charges and £31.96 in interest.

Prelim letter sent 15 Jun 06.

Letter Before Action sent 26 Jun 06.

:) letter emailed to Richard Younger-Ross ... will await with interest his reply!

In progress:

I have been looking on the OFT site, this may be another "unfair contract" issue.

We are looking at other banks, I spoke to Nationwide today. The nice call centre staff told me that they process checks within 3 days on all accounts, even the basic one.

When I explored their website and brought up the terms and conditions - guess what - at least 5 days for basic account holders.

The banks are really making huge profits off of people who are vulnerable and need the small amount of money they have, this tactic only forces people to amass the dishonest penalty charges. They are stealing from the poor to feed their fat cats! :-x

Read through the

Dear all,

OK so we got up the bottle to begin.

A cheque paid into my wifes account, took 7 working days to clear. On day 6 the 'Crapifax' :rolleyes: bounced a Direct Debit for 17.99 and then charged 39.00.

We wrote a letter 'telling' then to refund it or we would look into all previous charges made on the account. They didn't take the hint.

Therefore DPA form being hand served on the local branch tomorrow morning.

Look forward to updating you as this rolls on ..................

Read through the

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received my MP's reply to the letter I sent. Details of which are in an earlier post, it is the same as in the Template with an additional paragraph regarding cheque clearance times etc.

He has acknowledged that he appreciates the points raised and has written to John Vickers chairman of the Board of the Office of fair Trading, enclosing a copy of my letter. He has asked him for his advice on the points raised.

It would be nice to get as many MP's as possible asking the same questions !! :)

Read through the

• 1 month later...

OK so here we go ............

Have received at last the Data Protection Act statements. I have calculated that they owe us £240.02.

However that amount includes £39.00 which is to be taken from the account on or about 10th July - we have received a letter for that charge to be taken.

Can I include that in the claim now, or do I wait to send my letter of claim until after that date ??

If I send the letter now, can I add on interest charges, furthe charges later, as I serve the LBA letters ??

I note that in the Consumer letter of claim there is a section concerning default notices. As I have no idea if they have or intend to as the account is slightly OD and will go further after the next charge I have amended that section (to include it) to read :-

>>>>>>>>>>>

Additionally, if you have entered a default notice or if you intend to enter a default notice against my credit record, this occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove any current default or desist from any intended default entry upon the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to any such entry, current or intended is not acceptable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any thoughts? Should I leave this in or not include it, as I do not know if there is or isn't such a default notice. My thoughts were that they may have or may intend to so at least I put them on notice this way ;-)

Look forward to any thoughts any of you may have ..............

Read through the

OK so here we go ............

Have received at last the Data Protection Act statements. I have calculated that they owe us £240.02.

However that amount includes £39.00 which is to be taken from the account on or about 10th July - we have received a letter for that charge to be taken.

Can I include that in the claim now, or do I wait to send my letter of claim until after that date ??

If I send the letter now, can I add on interest charges, furthe charges later, as I serve the LBA letters ??

I note that in the Consumer letter of claim there is a section concerning default notices. As I have no idea if they have or intend to as the account is slightly OD and will go further after the next charge I have amended that section (to include it) to read :-

>>>>>>>>>>>

Additionally, if you have entered a default notice or if you intend to enter a default notice against my credit record, this occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove any current default or desist from any intended default entry upon the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to any such entry, current or intended is not acceptable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any thoughts? Should I leave this in or not include it, as I do not know if there is or isn't such a default notice. My thoughts were that they may have or may intend to so at least I put them on notice this way :wink:

Look forward to any thoughts any of you may have ..............

Read through the

with regards to the charge being applied on 10th July, I would include in your letter, you will have further time in which to send them a chaser with more charges etc if need be.

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I am about to complete my and serve my claim against Halifax.

What expenses can I claim on top of what they owe me ?

Things I was considering were :

£10 Data Protection Act fee

50p per letter

Can I claim for a reasonable amount of time ? If so what is a reasonable hourly charge ?

I wold appreciate your suggestions ................. :confused:

Read through the

There has been a suggestion that 9.00 ph can be claimed.

Its also worth looking at contractual interest.......there has been some success with this,but you are advised to read up about this first.

:)

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

How do I refer to these on the details of claim on moneyclaim, is simply blah blah " and the costs that I have incurred ". I take it I then need to schedule these. Can I claim daily interest on these costs ??

Read through the

I am asking this as there is nowhere on moneyclaim to detail costs incurred other than the "solicitors costs" box.

Read through the

Ok here is the text......paste it into the mc claim partics and format to 24 lines max

Claimant has account (A/C No) with Defendant from (Date)conducted on their standard terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming the return of (£0.00) taken by Defendant in charges over (X) years. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. They are also invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from(Date) to (Date) of (£0.00) and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of (£0.00)

You will need to send your charges schedule/spreadsheet that include 8% interest calcs to the defendant and court.

Make sure in the sub total you include the total interest then add the court fee (it will calculate for you )

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

OK, but do I seperately state my charges for time/costs/letters etc ?? Also the two dates - is the first date the date at which the contract (bank account opened) began or the date of the first unlawful charge ?

Read through the

You can list date from first unlawful charge

List your schedule from earliest charges date.

Work along column

Date of charge

In respect of ie U/P chq

amount taken

But how do I include MY costs into this ?

Do I add something to the details of claim stating that I am including a charge for stationnary, time and fees (£10 DPA) ?????????

Read through the

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks