High Return Postage Charges for Faulty/Unfit Goods?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in the process of trying to get a refund for an item ordered online from a Dropshipping company. They have a fairly good reputation, and so far, although somewhat sluggish to respond, have communicated with me. The story in a nutshell –

1) Advertised remote controlled diesel generator for sale on eBay.

2) Customer bought item and paid by PayPal

3) I ordered item from dropshipper, paid by PayPal.

4) Item received by customer was not as advertised – i.e. no remote control.

5) Customer asks for refund.

6) I agree and contact dropshipper.

7) Dropshipper admits their fault because the spec has changed on the generator – no longer remote controlled – and they had it still advertised as a remote control model when I ordered.

8.) After an exchange of emails, they gave me a return address and suggested the customer sent it here.

9) Postage costs were originally £66.40, and will probably be in that region to return the item.

10) I have asked the dropshipper to pick the item up via courier to avoid the customer or I incurring what would, to us at least, appear to be an unfair penalty for something that was the dropshipper’s error in the first place.

That’s where we are at the moment. I have a good relationship with the customer, so no problems on that front.

So, basically, is the dropshipper liable for these additional postage charges? Also, are the original postage charges recoverable?

Any views expressed in this post are entirely my own, and either based on diligent research or what the bloke down the pub told me. Prefix any possibly defamatory remarks with "It's just my view, but..." or "Allegedly..." and you won't need to sue me.

Thanks for the reply. Happy ending in the interim - the customer actually likes the generator (I sold it at a third RRP) and knows a chap in the trade who can build a remote control for it for £50. He suggested I give him £40 towards it and we call it quits - I've agreed to this. The Supplier also suggested that if the customer held on to the generator, the next time they sold one they would courier it on from his address and issue refunds all round. There are some very nice people in this world, and sometimes things do work out!

Any views expressed in this post are entirely my own, and either based on diligent research or what the bloke down the pub told me. Prefix any possibly defamatory remarks with "It's just my view, but..." or "Allegedly..." and you won't need to sue me.