• Tweets

• Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer and that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim and don't add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the members of suggested above – it should be the final version. court, that I would respectfully requestup but I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Battle with Abbey

Boris Becca
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my name is Rebecca bill, I am trying to retrieve money back from Abbey, im trying to claim £16,000 including intrest. They have so far given me back £2,500 as a gesture of good will, and i am taking then to the court fot the rest. They have told me they will see me in court, and i have just got my court date through, 2nd May 2007.

Has anyone been in this position? Has anyone yet been to court? And has anyone got any experience in this?

I am closely involved with the Daily Mail, and local South East news, who are quite intrested in my story. But getting very nervous, as i am going ahead with this on my own!

Await for any help!!

thankyou.

Rebecca

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rebecca - welcome on board!!!! I'm not at the court stage with my claim yet, but if you have a look through the Abbey forum you'll probably find lots of old and new threads with members who are battling Abbey through the courts. If you haven't done so already, it's probably worth starting your own thread on the Abbey forum anyway - you'll find loads of support, encouragement and advice from peeps on there. Good luck with your claim, Hedgey x ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thank you very much for replying so soon, its taking me a while to find my way around. I looked at the Abbey forums and yes, it all sounds very familiar, right up to where I am now. But looks like I need to start preparing bundles, which should keep me busy between now and the 2nd May (court date). I dont think I gonna bother calling Abbey at this stage, seems pointless. they will obviously see it through to the end and it costs a fortune, each call! Speak soon and once again thankyou. Rebecca

Tis a pleasure!!!!

Keep your claim rolling, stick to your own & courts timescales (not the banks!) and you should have your cash back soon.

Best of luck - Hedgey x :-D

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Hi Rebecca. I am waiting to go to court with the Abbey too, my date is set for the 24th April 2007, I am a bit nervous too, but what you have to remember that what they have done is illegal and by law they should give us our money back, and if that means going to court then sobeit. However, I have heard that no banks have actually gone to court over this, they come up with the goods at the last minute. Not sure if they are hoping we will chicken out or if they have their lawyers mulling it over and scrutinizing it all, in the hope of finding fault.

I agree with Hedgey06, stick with it, all will work out in your favour soon enough.

As for the press, might be interesting to do a piece on you, following your story from start to finnish? That would be so interesting for the readers!Not sure about all the legalities and stuff on that one. Papers will know.

Best Wishes

Cally

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

Hi Rebecca, welcome to CAG:)

In answer to your question has anyone been to court, against Abbey, no they haven't. Abbey are one of those banks who will fight you and try to frustrate you right up untill the last minute, before capitulating at the 11th hour, sometimes only a day or two before court.

They do this in the hope that they'll put you off and that you'll drop out. If you stay firm and stick to your guns you'll get there soon enough, but you've still got a little bit of work to do and you must comply with any court orders to submit your evidence, etc, although everything you will need is here on the site.

Can you post up the wording of the order from the court please, then I can tell you exactly what you need to do. In the meantime have a read of this link - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

If you could also give me a brief background to your claim so far that would be great, stuff like what letters you've sent, what responses you've got, how the £16,000 is made up (charges + 8% interest?), etc.

Also, I'm going get this thread moved over to the Abbey forum for you.

Which bank is your claim against Cally?

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

[Deleted - duplicate post]

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry its taking me so long, i have 3 kids and problems, but really need your help!Only one week away now! its a pliminary hearing, the wording it " Take notice that the pliminary hearing will take place on the 2nd May at 2pm, at Tunbridgw wells court, when you should attend. Ten minutes has been allowed for the pliminary hearing"

thats all it say, however Abbey have appleid to have it struck out of court, and they believe this will happen at the pliminary hearing. i foolishly thought that because i got a pliminary hearing, that automatically ment that it hadnt or wouldnt be struck out of court! Silly me! today i rang them, they told me i would see them in court, with a their barrister. is this normal? Money made up of £13,296.74 in charges and the rest is intrest, bar a few pence! have printed off all intrest charges and how they are made up, should i get a soliciter, what should i do? Do u think the judge will listen?

Am very nervous, await your reply.

sorry for THE MASSIVE delay!

kind regards

rebecca

x

tonight, I have been going through the Abbey threads and feel worried that no one easle had the the request to the judge to have ther case struck out of court, can you name anyone on the threads I can relate to? Today it was Inga I spoke to and I have spoken to James, didnt know they were so well known! Been reading Mad nicks thread! I need to really prep up and sort my life out with this, and get together a really good reason and argument for MY MONEY. pLEASE help ME. Not gonna sleep tonight!! Rebecca

well, I found loads that have been struckout. ****, I think I have made a blunder, I should of sent my statement or spreadsheet of 8% interest with the copies of highlighted statements to Abbey, and I havnt!!!???

Although I have told Abbey the amount I am claiming so far is £13,296.74 and will forward the interest charges. Am I too LATE? i HAVE DONE IT ALL . but not sent it. If it gets struck out can I re instate it. Cant wait to hear from you, I have been too laid back about this. :o :x:confused:

Don't worry Rebecca, it is Abbey trying every trick in the book. Have a look on the home page at Guidance Notes, Going to Court later stages, theres some info on there, don't know too much about it myself other than that I was in a much weaker position than you when I claimed my charges back from Abbey, i.e I still owed them money on their credit card- lol! Raised a case, they put in defence at last minute, also threatening they would close my account and demand money in full then they rang me up and said we don't want to close your account really and refunded me £500 and have got a four year repayment plan out of them interest free. Just remember the important point i.e. can they explain how it has cost them £30 or whatever to cook up a penalty charge, all the arguements are in the case bundle. You can't lose they cannot afford a test case in court - look at the CAG member who won £36,000 from Natwest. Good luck!

Okay Rebecca, stay calm, few deep breaths... it will be fine, you will probably find that Abbey are trying to scare you. They said they were going to defend my case, although much smaller than yours, but you will probably get the money into your acount or a letter from them in the next few days. However, if you don't, do not panic, they want you to.

Have all your info ready. Keep remembering that what they have done is unlawful okay.

Have a read through the legal stuff and familiarise yourself with the cases and guidance notes.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/

You're very welcome Rebecca, and don't worry, it's not in their best interest to go to court, they know thay have to pay it back because it was unlawful.

It is so easy to feel nervous though isn't it. Take a day off and come back at it fresh and go over everything again with a clear head. You need a rest from it.

I need to know more - sorry, but an application to strike out is certainly not par for the course.

Same questions as a month ago really;

If you could also give me a brief background to your claim so far that would be great, stuff like what letters you've sent, what responses you've got, how the £16,000 is made up (charges + 8% interest?), etc.

Also, crucially, what did you use as your particulars of claim?

Its not to late to sort this out, but you'll have to act on this.

Have you got a scanner? I'm going to PM you my e-mail address - it would be very helpful if you could send me your POC, their defence, the notice of the application to strike out, and the notice of the preliminary hearing.

started off with standard letter from bbc.co.uk, 6th feb 07, with £10 payement.11th jan response letter, standard. recieved through statements for the last year but not microfiche x3 times. I assumed this was delayind tactics and after many calls decided to go to court. opened up parachute 1st. I have lost the 1st form n1 that I used to file my claim, but because I had no 6 year statements I asked the court if it was ok to file an unspecified amount on the basis that last years charges came to approx 4 grand and x by 6years . so this is what I did. just called the court to obtain copy of my n1 form. So my claim was issued on the6th Feb2007, stateing NOTICE OF ISSUE(UNSPECIFIED AMOUNT) to the claimant. Then I recieved NOTICE THAT ACKNOWLEDGMENT 0F SERVICE HAS BEEN FILED. DATED 9th. 21st Feb a judgment order to me .I upon the court finding that the particulars of claim are vague and incoherent the claimant is orderdto file and serve within 14 days of this order an amended particulars or the claim stating the pacific amount claimed and what this represents and why the claimant claims that by law this amount is due to her from defendant. unless the claimant complies with this order the claim will stand sruck out. So I recieved my statements !! highlighted got the amount of £13296.74 and esnt the figure and copies to the judge with a covering letter explaining why I was unable to do this previously and a wriiten statement about the charges being unlawfull etc and that I wuold be adding on 8% charges in due course. 2nd Mach abbeys defence came through , 2 pages of jargon to worry me.5th March NOTICE THAT DEFENCE HAS BEEN FILED and an allocation questionarre to fill in did so and sent off, Also sent abbey letter comfiming charges amount not including interst sent 9th march . I have copy of this.I then recived throgh NOTICE OF PRELIMINARY HEARING notice to the claimant stating what I wrote in previous text nothing more. dated 21st

Thought so,, cannot find a copy of abbeys file for case to be struck out , called courts. there apparantly isnt one!Inga said its on their application, I do not have a copy of this either and the court have no application either. This i8s something they plan to do at prelimanary! More scare tactics I dont know what to think anymore!?? Anyway gave them my E mail address and sending 8 % interest charges to Inga by E mail today. soory I missed aletter recieved from Abeey dated the 9th feb asking me to show schedule of bankm charges and stating "As you will appreciate, you will need to produce evidence to the court regarding these amounts,and this info SHOULD have been supplied by you when you filed your claim. we would be gratefull if you would provide such details as soon as possible." Which I did as you have already read. Well what do you think? This A>M i was on southern counties radio live who are following my story and I a man called in and said he had the hearing set aside and one 26,000 by filling in a form 244, what do you think I could get an application form to do this or too eager and jumping the gun?? I wait to hear from you, thanks sooooooo much Becca x

Have you got a fax machine? If not they have a fax service at staples, or your local library. I'll PM you my fax number - block out all the personal details, I need to see;

Your charges schedule,

Your particulars of claim,

Abbey's defence,

The notice of prelim hearing,

The notice of application to strike out,

Any other orders from the court, or letters from Abbey

This is a large claim with an element of risk - it needs to be done properly, following correct procedure, which it clearly has not up to now!

Don't worry, its not too late, but I really wish you'd have answered my questions (by PM too!) a month ago! Never mind, get the paperwork sent ASAP and we'll see whats what.

No problem Rebecca, your not a pain - and sorry if I sounded harsh, but I just don't want Abbey to be able to pick off your claim!

Did Inga say the request to strike out was on the allocation questionnaire? If so, its not a formal application so thats one thing at least. I'm still worried though that if they feel they've got grounds to request a strike out then somethings clearly gone wrong somewhere - and I suspect it's with your statement of case (POC). If you fax me the list above I can identify where you've gone wrong and help you put it right.

hi, there, thankyou, youve kicked me into shape! I have faxed all you asked apart from the breakdown of charges. not sure about this statement of facts (poc) sorry I sound pathetic. Im hope you recieved all the fax work, some of it repeated I know , dut I lost count of wot I had sent so had to start again!! About par for the course for me! Yes, Inga said it was in the questionaire, I have spoken to the court today and they have no formal order requesting stike, sounds better. can you let me know that you got the faxes? thanks so much Gary.