• Tweets

• I cant remember the square meter price, we paid just under £800 total, the price included underlay and fitting.   1. The carpet is in the living room 2. The damage is in the areas with traffic, some areas are worse,      there is an area of damage running parallel with the skirting for about 1 mtr, this area has no traffic. 3. The deposit was bank transfer and the balance credit card.     Regards
    • Laptops sent to schools for pupils who don't have a computer may have malware on them, as some schools are finding.   https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/21/malware-reportedly-found-laptops-children-england   Jolyon Maugham is also investigating the price paid to Computacenter, owned by a Tory donor, which appears to be too high. Some of the laptops have arrived without the sound facility which means children can't participate properly.
    • https://ourworldindata.org/         https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&country=USA~GBR~ISR~DEU~ARE~ARG~FRA&region=World&vaccinationsMetric=true&interval=total&perCapita=true&smoothing=0&pickerMetric=total_vaccinations_per_hundred&pickerSort=desc  
    • I find it difficult to imagine that they actually want to "repossess" the property. Presumably there is nothing in the lease which says that service charge debts are automatically secured on the property. You haven't told us anything about the value of the property as opposed to the value of the service charge which is being sought. To a certain extent it's outside my experience – but it seems to me that this would fall under the heading of an ordinary debt. Of course if they obtained a County Court judgement, then they might eventually be able to enforce it against your assets – one of which would be the holiday home. So I think you ought to give us a bit more detail and also post up the claim form in PDF format please
    • Government officials are advising UK companies to set up shop in Europe to avoid problems with red tape and taxes. Unbelievable.   Was Brexit meant to create jobs in Europe?   https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5052 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

I don't know if i am a bit late in starting the ball rolling for all of this - Sent my letter off to the Nat West yesterday requesting my charges back. It totalled up to over £6000 before interest. Does anyone know if the banks are acting differently depending on how much the claim is?? (ie.. If its a large claim are they more likely to close your account or does it make no difference)

Hi there Drew,

As far as I'm aware the amount doesnt seem to make any difference.

There have been people on here that had their accounts closed down for claiming under £500!! There are also people here that have claimed in the region of £20,000 & they seem ok.

There have also been situations with claiming for charges on credit cards where people have been only £50 over their limit & capital one have closed the accounts & passed the accounts to debt collectors - all retaliatory!!

Its unethical & unnacceptable if its classed as retaliatory & I think the courts look very dimly upon it.

I think it just depends which bank it is or who is heading things. Its very subjective. I do think that this situation is rather in the minority however.

I am claiming £5000 (£6,800 with interest) from Woolwich/Barclays. They have so far offered me £1000 & I very swiftly told them they could go whistle!! My LBA has gone in & I expect I shall be filing for court on Friday!!

I am not worried in the slightest if they close the account, as prior to commencing the claim procedure I set up a parachute account elsewhere. Might I suggest that you do this?? If nothing happens then fine, however If you do go ahead at least you will have acheived peace of mind, & thats gotta be good:D

Let me know how you get on. What stage in the claiming process are you?

• Haha 1

Thanks for that.

I have another account set up incase - but hopefully I won't have to use it.

If they do close the account and obviously withdraw the overdraft is it done with immediate effect or are they required to give you notice????

Just wandering if I will be able to get salaries and DDs transfered and set up in time???

Hi Drew,

The banks to be honest are a law to themselves....for now! Even though there are very definate guidelines from the banking Ombudsman, they tend to act now, & deal with it later.

If you are in the process of claiming (like you are), even if they closed the account tomorrow & requested immediate payment of the overdraught they wouldnt be able to resolve the situation until your claim had ceased. i.e. You got your money back.

The moment a claim starts then the account is classed as 'Being in dispute'. Even if they slapped a default on you, they would have to remove it as a stipulation of your claim, otherwise they know they would have to go all the way with court as you would take them & they will do anything to stop that from happening.

They should always give you notice by the way.

As is the advice of this board, get everything in writing!

My husband & I joined an interbet bank & they did absoloutely everything for us, DD's etc within the month, which was fab!

I think you have to be prepared to go with another bank, but look at it as a fresh start.

What is it that concerns you the most Drew?

If I was to be honest it would be the bank closing the account and / or withdrawing overdraft facility (£3500) and then the mortgage etc.. not being paid because of this.

I was a bit wary of putting the claim in because of this but finally decided it was worth it as it is over 7k with interest so I should have some left over.

Fingers crossed they are gretting more and more in-undated with claims that they just start to pay up and stop trying to exact their revenge!!!!!

Hopefully!!!

You have to look at this positively!!

Your claim is for 7k & your o/d is for 3.5k. That gives you, just as you have said, £3.5k to play with at the end of it!

I dont understand why your mortgage would not get paid? Is the mortage with the same bank??

The main time that banks seem to get shirty is when a claim has gone in, a new account has clearly been opened & dd's & salaries dont go in any longer. Once this happens as long as you leave enough in to pay the o/d interest each month then that should be ok.

They will chase you & get shirty if you have gone over your o/d & are not within your limit & see that there isnt much hope of anything going in soon either!. Some banks can be quite nice & even then offer to set up a payment plan & some dont!!

You might like to start a thread on the board that pertains to your particular bank. You just need to cut & paste.

By the way Good for you for having the courage for going ahead with your claim! You should be proud of yourself. It does take courage & is quite daunting/intimidating but be strong & have faith knowing that thousands have gone before us & have been successful!

Did you read Phils post?

He was at court yesterday & there were 160 people there claiming!!!! All the judge did was read out the peoples names & awarded them their payments!!! Yee Ha!!:D