• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Zorba The Freak v Nationwide

Zorba The Freak
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi zorba, and welcome to cag, firstly please be sure to read the faqs, people on this site are very friendly and if they can help you they will, post any questions you have and follow the step by step instructions, also post your progress as this in turn helps others who are just beginning their claim, dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how trivial they may seem, believe me i asked some corkers!! best of luck to you x

please be sure to read as much as you can, you do not your claim to be thrown out for not giving them enough time stick to your timetable and dont be swayed by the responses you recieve from nw they are just standard letters which we have all had, no personal responses from them!!

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07

zorba, if you have a debit card you can call them and ask them to take payment from that, if not send a cheque or postal order recorded delivery tomorrow, they will write to you and tell you that in order to get your statements you have to pay, so rather than wait for a reply send it off soon as. x

hi zorbra, welcome to CAG, i see you have met lori1 ~ worth her weight in gold, a mine of information!!! hi lori :)

glad to see that you sent your letter off recorded delivery, even if you did forget the cheque! but never mind you can check on line who signed for your letter by going on royal mail web, and then add this information in a letter when you send your cheque, also by recorded.. then this way they can tie them together without wasting too much time..

keep reading the FAQs & threads, remember knowledge is power, power is courage to take the banks on and win the CAG way..

people on here are really friendly and always willing to help.. if your not sure then ask ~ blimey i've asked some questions, lori will vouch for that!!!:o

keep us posted and good luck :)

• Haha 1

OK, that's my 2nd "letter 1" sent today by recorded delivery after my small mishap of sending the 1st one with no payment !!!

Call me crazy, but what does SAR stand for ?. I'm new to all this forum stuff so please excuse me if I seem slightly green.

Anyway, that's the 40 day clock ticking now ... stand by

• 4 weeks later...

Got a letter from Nationwide today responding to my 1st SAR letter sent on 26th March, saying that payment of £10 was required. I sent payment by cheque on 27th March with another SAR letter (see above) and it has been cashed, therefore I expect they'll respond to that one instead.

All fingers & toes crossed !!!!

hi zorba i would give them a call and point out that they have already had payment, best of luck x

That's my letter off to them today, stating that they already have my payment. I sent a letter as I don't have a phone number for them (Data protection Administrator in the Statement Subject Access Team). Anyway, they provided me with a nice pre-paid envelope, so I'd be as well using it !!!

If it's any use to anyone, the address is:

Data Protection Administrator

Statement Subject Access

Nationwide Building Society

NW5001

Newcombe House

Swindon

SN38 1NW

hey mate,

i got the same pre-paid envelope as well at the weekend (i made mistake on first SAR letter) but are you going to use it or go with recorded delivery. My envelope is complete with a ref code...so dont know if they are expecting it and have my details on file already

Andy

Hi Andy,

I just used the envelope "as is", in the hope that it's right (and I've ran out of stamps)

It had a reference number on it, highlighted in purple highlighter pen for some unknown reason. Probably means "put to the bottom of the pile" or something like that" !!! :)

Cheers

ZTF

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a phone number I can call to find out if they have actioned my SAR, as the 40 days is up on Sunday this week, and I would rather pre-empt any problems rather than waiting for the 40 days to come and go.

Ta

Recieved my statements from the Nationwide yesterday, by special delivery - TOTALLY BLANK !!

They sent me 1 piece of paper with the wrong account number on it, detailing nil charges !!!

I've sent them back this blank statement with a covering letter detailing this error, and giving them until wednesday 16th May to get the proper info requested and paid for to me, or I will write to the Financial Ombudsman detailing their non compliance.

I hate waiting !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Right then,

That's time up I suppose. No info as requested in the post today.

I now need to suss out the best course of action.

I can see from my online banking which allows you to go back 15 months, that there is approximately £600 of charges in that period. Am I best to start claiming this lot, whilst chasing them for the entire information that I have requested & paid for, but never recieved. Then once I eventually get it, issue a separate claim ?

Oh one other thing I haven't already mentioned - I'm in Scotland, therefore I think that I'll have to do sevaral claims anyway because of the £750 Small Claims Court limit !

As another thought, is there a way I could rent an English address (Mailboxes etc) and then use MCOL for the whole lot which will probably total a couple of grand. Also, this would let me go back 6 years instead of the 5 years in Scotland ? Is this legal?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered

ZTF

Hi Lori,

Can you let me know where to send the preliminary letter to request refund of charges.

I eventually got the list of charges from the Nationwide today, (over 2 grand !!!).

Also, as I'm in Scotland, is it best just to break down my claim into smaller claims and go through the Scottish Court system if (and when) they tell me to f off which I'm fully expecting ?

Thanks

Hello Zorba The Freak!

...as I'm in Scotland, is it best just to break down my claim into smaller claims and go through the Scottish Court system if (and when) they tell me to f off which I'm fully expecting ?
There has been at least one recent Claim that has been STRUCK OUT cos it was deliberately split into more than ONE Claim, so as to get around the Scottish £750 limit.

Read through some of the Threads in the following link to weigh up ALL your options...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/

• Haha 1

Hi Guys,

Thats my preliminary request for repayment of charges sent today by Recorded Delivery to Pipers Way address. Claiming over £2,400, so fully expecting to be told to poke it !!!

14 days given, which ends on 6th June (my bithday - what a prezzie that would be)

Will keep you posted as and when (and if ) I hear something.

Cheers

ZTF

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 1st June. As expected, recieved a very nice letter saying how sorry they are, an dhow much they realise this is disappointing, however they can't agree to any refund - WHATEVER !!!

LBA being prepared and will be sent recorded delivery on Monday. Let the games begin ;)

Considering renting an English address (Mailboxes etc) for 3 months (£60 ish)so I can use MCOLi nstead of risking the Scottish system. Don't have a problem heading south to court should the day come. Will probably rent a London address so I can fly easyjet on the cheap.

Will keep you all posted.

ZTF

...Don't have a problem heading south to court should the day come. Will probably rent a London address so I can fly easyjet on the cheap.
Low-cost airlines are only that, if U can manage to book several weeks/months in advance.

With the summer peak season fast approaching, am not so sure the flights ex-Aberdeen-Luton will be as cheap as U think.

Especially if U have to attend Court on a given day, giving U NO flexibility.

Many other Scots also use Luton as a hub change for further flights to the Med.

Your welcome to try though.

Just remember it's a return ticket U need.

...There's enough 'skirt wearing' blokes in the South as it is!...lol...:D:p

Hey MTM,

For 2 and a half grand, I'll quite happily don the tartan skirt, paint my face blue and march south south of the border if necessary to face the enemy that is the Nationwide. That would raise an eyebrow in court, eh ? Imagine the headlines "Mad Jock with swollen feet turns up in London Court after 500 mile hike !!!" Ha Ha Ha :)

"Every pennie's a prisoner :cool: "