• Tweets

• No, do the section 75 chargeback to your credit card provider.
    • See what dx thinks but it seems to me that sending a photo of your own pass isn't relevant to what happened. Let's wait and see what he says. HB
    • 1st letter image.pdf1st letter 2nd page.pdf
    • Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How to deal with Intruim Justitia?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I first posted about this in the welcome forum:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-our-forum/77059-new-confused-seeking-advice.html

Was advised to post here.

My problem is with the DCA, Intrum Justitia, who insist on calling me several times a day, being very rude in the process (even though I have offered to make monthly payments) and have so far ignored my requests for them to write to me only :( They also say they will only accept a minimum of £78 per month...the total I owe is £1,700. I am currently a student and out of work, but I did offer to pay them £30, then £40 per month.

Is it worth me asking them for a CCA and SAR? :confused: and, how do you know if a DCA is acting as an agent, (for Natwest), or if they have purchased the debt?

So far they have refused to accept my offer of lower payments and I'm not sure how to go about getting them to accept? Do I send them a list of my incomings/outgoings...if so do you include everything on this?

I have put together a letter for them, using a template from this site...asking them to stop phoning me.

Sorry if all these questions have been answered before, I have looked through the site but can't find specific answers to my Q's....I feel pretty daft asking them, but I'm getting really frustrated with Intruim, who seem to be unwilling to have a reasonable conversation, without making threats and slamming the phone down on me!

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated....Thanks so far to Niklowe and gizmo :)

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

A simple start would be to slam the phone down on THEM. And as they refuse to stop phoning after you have told them to stop, they are committing a criminal offence now every time they do so.

Start to keep a diary of every date and time they do phone. DON'T speak to them, simply put the phone down on them.

I'd give it a week, after which time you should have enough evidence of their continued harassment, then REPORT THEM.

And YES it is worth CCA'ing them (although it depends what type of debt it is. Credit card? Loan? An overdraft I believe, is not covered under the CCA). But I would also SAR the original lender/creditor.

More info as to what type of account/debt it is, will be incredibly helpful to those who know more about this DCA than I do, but hopefully this will be a start for you.

• Haha 1

Thanks Seahorse....

The debt is for a credit card from 2002 (or there abouts) with Natwest. The total owing is just under £1700. I made one payment to Intruim of £78 over the phone, but I did explain that I couldn't afford this amount on a monthly basis as I am out of work at the moment.

Intruim are not the first DCA to contact me about it...the last DCA (moorecroft(?) I think) actually asked for £90+ per month, when I said I couldn't afford it they said it would have to go to court. I never heard from them again as it went to Intruim. :???:

Thanks Seahorse....

The debt is for a credit card from 2002 (or there abouts) with Natwest. The total owing is just under £1700. I made one payment to Intruim of £78 over the phone, but I did explain that I couldn't afford this amount on a monthly basis as I am out of work at the moment.

Intruim are not the first DCA to contact me about it...the last DCA (moorecroft(?) I think) actually asked for £90+ per month, when I said I couldn't afford it they said it would have to go to court. I never heard from them again as it went to Intruim. :???:

Take Seahorse's advice and CCA to IJ...Then SAR to nat west to see if there are any charges...You should also send a harassment letter to IJ (All letters are in the templates library). If they phone in the meantime say to them "Can you just hang on a sec please." leave a dramatic pause...then say "Thanks, just wanted to set the recording equipment running, carry on."

• Haha 1

Just hate every DCA out there

I have had many dealings with many debt agencies and Intrum Justicia are one of the worst.

My debt was with a credit card Natwest and there was about £3,000. They have hounded me, sent numerous letters lied and cheated all the way through to the bitter end.

I have now paid it after 3 years!!! but this is how I managed them. I changed ny mnumber with BT - extreme I know but they just wouldn't stop calling and I went ex directory - becasue they look you up in the phone book if you dont. I bought a sim card on the same tarrif as my current mobile and gave them that number - I could check the messages occassionaly but unless they actually get through to you they dont leave messages so dont count on them leaving any.

I went to citizens advice and they gave me a really handy leaflet which told me to write a letter and explain my circumstances and confirm the amount that I can pay and attach an excel spreadsheet with all of my ingoings and outgoings to prove I cant afford any more than I have offered.

They will usually write back and accept the offer. I paid about £30.00 for 6 months.

You must be really careful to stick to the agreement because they will try to increase it at every oppurtunity and occasionaly you need to resend your statement of means. The easiest way to pay is by direct debit so that they have no ammunition for trying to say that they were not able to get the payment hence they have to increase the monthly amount.

Be heavy handed back, they are trying to break you - dont be broken.:o

Thanks everyone... :)

Kiri; I hear what you are saying, they are trying to break me! and to an extent it is working! I usually don't have a problem with confrontation, but the people at Intruim are just ridiculous! I've tried being polite with them and it certainly does me no favours.

I've also noticed that they never seem to log the calls they make... I had 3 calls one day and on the third I explained that I was unwilling to talk to anyone else because the first 2 calls that day had been abusive....the girl said there was no record of any calls being made to me that day! :eek:

I intend to send them the harrassment letter, but I can't help but feel that they will ignore it

The CAB told me to report Intruim to Trading Standards and hang up the phone whenever they call me, but apart from that, they say unless I have more than 1 debt, they can't help me.....so I will follow your advice and send them my expenditure report.

I'm actually shocked...it's 13:25 and I've only had 1 phonecall from Intruim today! Guess they will start flooding in this evening :(

I did a CCA request to IJ last month. They replied by return that they had returned the account to Barclaycard and would not be in touch again. Not heard a word from them since.

In your CCA request, make sure you ask for the Deed of Assignment. This is the document that the CC and these DCA should have completed when they sell the debt on.

I have just found this on another debt website - this may help you stop their calls.

If you are a BT customer, they have a service called 'choose to refuse' which might help you if you are getting a lot of calls from an unpleasant creditor. You have to key in a PIN number after a call. The caller will get a message refusing them if you don't wish to take their call the next time they ring. The cost of the service is approximately £10 per quarter for a maximum of 10 numbers. Ring BT on Freephone 0800 169 2707 for more details.

Could I please ask what does a CCA means? - what is it short for. I am very curious and I could not find the meaning on this site.:confused:

This is a CCA request (send recorded with a £1.00 postal order)

Your Ref: xxxxxxxxxx

To Whom It May Concern

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company.

I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours Faithfully

Hi Kiri

Unfortunately I'm not with BT, I'm with the Virgin Media :( Maybe they do something similar, I'll check :)

A CCA is the original credit agreement you made for the credit card, loan, whatever.

I think if the DCA cannot provide it, they cannot ask you for the money? I think :rolleyes:

Oooo! Cheers pmhcfc!

I shall send that first thing, well as soon as get a new black ink cartridge for my printer! All the assignments I did last week have eaten it all... :p

Do you think it would reflect badly on me if I sent Intruim a letter in red ink? :wink:

I dodged another call from them this afternoon....2 today, so doing well so far. I'm not sure what part of "please do not contact me by telephone, I will be happy to respond to you through the post" they don't understand :(

Oooo! Cheers pmhcfc!

I shall send that first thing, well as soon as get a new black ink cartridge for my printer! All the assignments I did last week have eaten it all... :p

Do you think it would reflect badly on me if I sent Intruim a letter in red ink? :wink:

I dodged another call from them this afternoon....2 today, so doing well so far. I'm not sure what part of "please do not contact me by telephone, I will be happy to respond to you through the post" they don't understand :(

Have you sent harassment letter? (cant remember if you said you have)..If you have sent that and they are still calling then report them to the OFT...phone the OFT and do it...Why not? If you haven't sent it then do so :

Harassment by telephone - response letter I wouldn't bother sending in red ink, there's no need to.

Hi again...

the red ink thing for the CCA was just a joke (as my printer is all out of black ink) I need to purchase a new cartridge :wink:

I have written out the harrassment letter (well copied it off this site) and will post in the morning....I have up to now only requested over the phone that they don't contact me in this way and I have informed them that I have put it in writing. Their response was that they will not stop calling me as they cannot remove my number from their system!

I wouldn't mind, but I'd be happy to deal with them over the phone if they actually spoke to me like I was a human being, but they are rude, often abusive and usually hang up on me when I explain why I cannot afford the £78 per month that they are asking. :(

I am willing to pay the debt, and will increase payments as soon as I am able to do so...but I really feel that Intruim are trying to bully me into paying what I simply cannot. Alot of the outstanding balance is also made up of charges...I was in dispute with Natwest over the balance as I was actually paying insurance, meaning that if I lost my job I would be covered (all lies)

Having had a painful battle with IJ in the past, I would say that if they persist in phoning you, then when you pick the phone up and they say 'Hi its IJ here, how is your day' tell them to just give you a mo you have a tap running/bacon cooking/whatever. Put the phone under a cushion, go put the kettle on, have a brew and a bickie, read the tv mag, wash the dishes etc etc.

It's their phone bill let them run it up, I am sure the message will get through in the end.Oh and make a note of the the time of of the call for when you report it.

You could always put the phone next to a walkman that is playing a recorded message something like the ones that we have to endure when we are on hold to a company :)

I hold IJ beneath contempt, in my eyes utter disgust and contempt is something that is too good to waste on them!

• Haha 1

Haha! Thanks Delta,

that's cheered me up no end!

I might record a message for when they call saying "please hold the line, your call is very important to me, and I will be with you as soon as possible..." :p

On a serious note...(trying to stop chuckling) I am really tempted to get some sort of recording device set up by my phone, then when they call I will answer and be my usual reasonable self....no doubt they will get frustrated with me and hurl abuse my way...then I will report them :)

hi read a post in ur thread where someone said that the best way to pay is by direct debit but i dont believe this to be the case. i have had times with this when they have requested increased payments and even though i refused they still attempted to take the increased amount through direct debit.

the other way similar to this is to set up a standing order which will get paid exactly the same way but you are in charge of it not them.

but as others have mentioned, your first step should be a cca.

keep us posted on this one :)

Hey there

I have received a direct debit mandate from Intruim...for £78 per month :rolleyes: which I of course have no intention of taking into my bank.

I will certainly keep you posted

sending the harrassment letter and CCA request tomorrow, and I intend to set up a recorder for when they do phone me (which they will) 4 times today as usual :mad:

This site has been a massive help, thanks to everyone who has responded to this post :) you are all stars

Right, one last attempt on my behalf to be reasonable with these people. They just called me (8:20am) asking for payment...again I explained that I cannot afford the £78 per month and that I would be sending them my income/expenditure

They said I can do that over the phone and only need to send proof of any benefits, so I have agreed to contact them later today when I've worked everything out....simple because the guy that phoned me was actually quite polite :o (I almost had a heart attack)

So...depending on what they say later today I might actually be able to get this sorted (one can only hope)

Found out too that Natwest must still own the debt because the guy listed all the items Natwest will accept on an income/expenditure thingie

I hope I'm doing the right thing :rolleyes:

SORRY but I think you are wrong getting involved in any telephone conversation with these people. Did you send them the CCA request. Its up to them to answer it. Have they proved you owe the debt and if so that they have a right to collect it. You may have got Mr Nice Guy on the phone this morning (must be a new recruit:rolleyes: or else he has reached is target) but rest assured if they come back with a new offer this afternoon and you dont agree Mr Nasty will return. Keep all your dealings in writing with these people

I agree ODC

I feel pretty hypocritical now that I did engage in conversation, I just want to be able to answer my phone again and not constantly be pressing 1471 to see if I've missed an important call :(

I still intend to request the CCA and SAR, but I figured if I at least give them a breakdown of my income/expenditure, then they might actually believe me that I can only afford a small monthly payment...at least they might not phone so frequently :confused: and if they do get nasty again I swear it will be the very last conversation they have with me!

I'm just buying a few days because once they receive my harrassment letter, any further calls to me will be recorded (thanks to my technical minded friend) and I do still intend to report them :)

The first thing did was stop answering withheld calls.(Get caller display) When they continued from early hours i.e 8am til 9 at night I decided to get my phone company to put a bar on them. Now if any of these people ring me its on a number that I can recognise and choose to ignore. After all I pay the phone bill so I can choose who I want to speak to.Its great and best of all Im sure it pees them off greatly.

No matter what you send them as a breakdown of your income and expenditure it will not be enough. Dont forget they havent proved you owe them anything. Any dealings I have had with IJ I have found them to be arrogant and nasty (MY PERSONAL OPINION)

• Haha 1

Can the phone company just block specific numbers? If so, how much does it cost? I'll certainly get caller display, as I can't continue to ignore the phone :rolleyes:

You are of course right, most of my dealings with Intruim so far have been nasty...one of their agents tried to add 10% onto the debt because I couldn't make a card payment over the phone! Before joining this site I didn't realise just how nasty DCA's can be

If, as you say the income/expenditure gets me no-where and they continue to harrass me, then at least I can prove that I did try to be reasonable (If it ever goes to court)

Can the phone company just block specific numbers? If so, how much does it cost? I'll certainly get caller display, as I can't continue to ignore the phone :rolleyes:

You are of course right, most of my dealings with Intruim so far have been nasty...one of their agents tried to add 10% onto the debt because I couldn't make a card payment over the phone! Before joining this site I didn't realise just how nasty DCA's can be

If, as you say the income/expenditure gets me no-where and they continue to harrass me, then at least I can prove that I did try to be reasonable (If it ever goes to court)

Most companies allow you to block certain numbers. I think they charge 3.50 a month. It allows you to block up to ten numbers. With caller display at least you will be able to see who is calling and decide whether or not to answer