Faulty Camcorders Outside Warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a Samsung camcorder from Boots in August 2004, and my brother in law purchased the exact same model one week later.

Neither of them have had much use at all - Probably 5 times maximum, although I have no way of proving this (Although they are fully boxed, and do look new).

We have tried our camcorders a couple of weeks ago, and both are now experiencing problems.

The first one seems to have an intermittent fault with recording - where the image hasn't been recorded, and they are large pink stripes from left to right, and when there is an image it pixels.

The second one looks as though you are looking through smoke, even though the lense appears to be clean.

I have contacted Boots regarding this matter, and they advised me to send them back to them and they would get Samsung to have a look and see what could be done.

I have now received both camcorders back, with a covering letter stating that as the camcorders are outside warranty, Samsung wouldn't repair, and I would have to use a 3rd party repair company (which Samsung are recommending, but they would charge £40.00 per camcorder before they would even look at it). Although they are saying if it is a result of a manufacturing defect, once Samsung give authorisation this fee would be refunded.

I'm not sure if this is correct, that we should pay £40.00 per camcorder, when there is nothing to stop them saying it isn't a manufacturing defect, even if it is.

I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act, but they just say that as the camcorders are 'over a year and a half outside their guarantee period we are unable to assist you in this matter'.

Can anybody offer any assistance ?? - I paid with my credit card (Nationwide), so was thinking of maybe trying to contact them also.

Any help appreciated.

Daniel

samsung are very good

i have had a dvd go wrong outside warranty 3yrs ago

and they accepted after sending it to their approved service centre that it was faulty

even got a newer model

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If the fault is a manufacturing fault and not down to normal wear and tear (i.e. something that you might expect to happen after this length of time) then you would have rights to a repair under the SoGA. The trader is, however, entitled to inspect the goods to determine what the fault is. Ultimately it is down to you as the consumer to prove that the goods are not of satisfactory quality (i.e. have a manufacturing fault) and not down to the trader to prove otherwise.

If the third party company is entirely independent, you should be able to trust them (in theory!) not to lie. Ultimately, a third party report is the only way to determine whether the fault is a manufacturing fault, if the trader is claiming it's potentially otherwise.

There's also no harm in copying any correspondence to your credit card company as they would be equally liable for any manufacturing faults, but they would probably require the same evidence before they paid up.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

So it is reasonable for the retailer to pass me back to Samsung and Samsung's recommended repair company - even though they want to charge £40 per camcorder.

Thanks

Daniel

hi Djb i too have had my Samsung go wrong just out of warrenty (5 days in fact) so i rang Samsung who were about as sympathetic as a very unsympathetic thing and told me its outside warrenty go to there 3rd party repairer, and was qouted £40 like yourself on mine the the TFT screen has what looks like an intermittent connection sometinmes it works sometimes it doesnt althougth mostly doesnt it really annoyed me becuase it was only 5 days outside the warrenty and they couldnt give a damn, i certainly wont be buying samsung products again

It's the retailer who needs to deal with this under the SoGA. However, if they are dragging their heels and arguing that the fault could be normal wear and tear, then the onus is on you to prove that it isn't and ultimately yes, you would need to sort out an inspection of the camcorders. You would then claim this cost back if it did turn out that the fault was not attributable to normal wear and tear, as you would then have evidence that the goods are not of satisfactory quality.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 1 month later...

My credit card company got back and said the same sort of thing :(

The fact that really annoys me is that Boots asked me to send the camcorders back to them, and they would get Samsung to take a look and see what the problem was.

I returned them, only to get them back a week later saying that they have since spoken to Samsung and they won't look at them.

You would have thought that with Boots agreeing to take them back to look at, I would have some additional rights ?

I'm also trying to work out why the fault has to be an 'inherant' fault. Surely any fault, is a fault. As long as the camcorder has been looked after, and not mistreated, then surely the fault lies with the camcorder or quality of components ??

Thanks

Daniel

as with most things, usually 'stock' faults appear. if it were one of these then the manu does not normally quibble.

up tp you

i would swallow the £40 charge & get it inspected.

as already mentioned, if it is proved not W&T you will get the fee back as well.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...