• Tweets

• No you don't have to pay them.  it is their scam which the Courts know about. There was a classic case a few years ago that decided that £100 was not a penalty because that company had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear of cars that overstayed etc because they were there to maximise the availability of car park spaces. As Starbucks was closed in your case, Met have no legitimate interest so their £100 charge IS a penalty. Therefore the case would be thrown out. if they took you to Court and you turned up in Court to defend yourself. So no you shouldn't pay.
    • Thank you as always. Okay, will contact Tesco and will ignore the appeal, and will let you know what happens. You guys are superheroes.
    • A former Tesla engineer is in a decade-long battle with the car company, owned by Elon Musk.View the full article
    • what isn't working out....one very small issue, the rest is going perfectly fine. stop doing your usually running around waving arms and screaming on my god oh my god...sorry too used to you LMM even if you cant hold down a new bank account all is not lost .  ive not seen any reports that monzo refuse people  so go with them. pers as i said id NOT be using any switch service, as there are debts you want to stop paying and get them defaulted BEFORE you ever think of poss might could should pay them. its only a handful of stuff like rent/ctax/ etc that you need DD for ive not used DD's in almost 30yrs now nor use Standing orders, i do it by BACS each month priority bills first (can take roof from over my head if not paid) there REST all get paid if/when i've had the money. 2 well 3 things id dump too or get cheaper. cable/sat tv - ££6PCM . which i will is internet/tv/landline ? from whom that is very expensive. mine is £27PCM for 100MPS Broadband etc all in. 3 tv licence... who cant tell you are watching live tv even if you dont.... mobile phone £27? - go over to giffgaff no contract and as cheap as £6PCM even with mobile data (but use your home wf-fi when indoors!!) no need to keep using @Username, everyone that posted gets an alert like you do if someone posts. dx  
    • Critall windows date back to the 1880s but their steel construction makes them vulnerable to damp.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Newlyn - Council Tax Demand

Ginger66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with Newlyn collection agency.

My mum has oustanding £1100 from her 2006/07 council tax.She has paid £300 in the last month.Newlyn collection agency has said that if the full amount is not paid by the 31st March they will send the bailliffs around to collect in person.

Is there anything we can do to stop this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Has she contacted the collections agency? Maybe its worth trying to work out a repayment plan with them.

Lloyds TSB (C.Acc) **WON - Fully Settled**

NatWest - £1367.96 - N1 Filed - AQ Compl

Lloyds TSB - Select Loan PPI - £4629.52 - N1 Filed - Settlement rejected

Lloyds TSB Credit Card - £373.48 - N1 Filed

MBNA Credit Card - £791.52 - N1 Filed

Capital One - £746.67 - N1 Filed -** Settlement awaited **

Halifax Credit Card - £836.12 - N1 Filed

Paragon Personal Finance - S.A.R 15/12/2006

Littlewoods - £834.43 - N1 Filed

Barclaycard - £1145.00 - N1 Filed

My Wife:

Natwest Current Account - £1197.98 - N1 Filed at Court

Capital One - £1150.94 - N1 Filed - **Settlement offer rejected **

Littlewoods - £1405.48 - N1 Filed

8-) PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS! 8-)

Hi there,yes she has spoken to them several times.They won't listen to her.The last payment she made was for £150 two weeks ago and just said the full amount is due on Friday or else they will pass to baillifs.

Maybe she should try the Citizens Advice. They could tell her where she stands. Also tell her to write them a letter offering a payment plan (recorded of course) and keep a copy. If is does go further then they will see that she has tried and they are being uncooperative.

Maybe someone else may be of help on this site so wait for some more replies.

Lloyds TSB (C.Acc) **WON - Fully Settled**

NatWest - £1367.96 - N1 Filed - AQ Compl

Lloyds TSB - Select Loan PPI - £4629.52 - N1 Filed - Settlement rejected

Lloyds TSB Credit Card - £373.48 - N1 Filed

MBNA Credit Card - £791.52 - N1 Filed

Capital One - £746.67 - N1 Filed -** Settlement awaited **

Halifax Credit Card - £836.12 - N1 Filed

Paragon Personal Finance - S.A.R 15/12/2006

Littlewoods - £834.43 - N1 Filed

Barclaycard - £1145.00 - N1 Filed

My Wife:

Natwest Current Account - £1197.98 - N1 Filed at Court

Capital One - £1150.94 - N1 Filed - **Settlement offer rejected **

Littlewoods - £1405.48 - N1 Filed

8-) PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS! 8-)

Hi, i dont know if this will be of help but might be worth a try. Contact your local MSP and explain that your mum is very upset and is being harrassed. Tell him that she has offered to pay something back each month (i was sure that as long as she is willing to pay something they had to take it - but im not exactly sure) and ask his advice. Make it clear to him that she is not in a position to pay the whole lot off. I empathise with you completely because i know so many who have been through this and the council really are callous when it comes to this. I dont know how they get away with behaving like loan sharks - they dont listen to people at all and use threats of arresting your bank account and taking your possessions - it should not be allowed. Hope you get the info you need

Allybally1

newlyn have been after me for 3yrs!

Changed several addresses and then they found me, their tactics range from different coloured letters, stating several rubbish claims, commitial to prison, baliffs coming etc etc......

I got them off my back by stating the following.......ring them up, say you want to pay off monthly, this is how much and that is final.....you already have been to court about other debts, 2 other baliffs for different debts, and couldnt care if they come round or not, your choice.......trust me, this works...scary but works......know this, telesale staff at these agencies are paid by the speed of claim collection, but they are not stupid, if the above was true a court would deem them unfair. i am not saying to everyone to follow my method, but it got them off me....

let me know how it goes

Hi Ginger66,

have been in this situation at least three times. Unfortunatly, because judgment has already been passed in a county court, the council then no longer deals with it, the bailiffs do it for them.

They called when I was out and left a card through the door, so I called them. The lady who answered arranged for a visit, explaining that no goods would be taken, just listed, and an arrangement would be made to pay the money.

When the guys arrived, I was very surprised because they were so helpful ! They looked at our in-comings V outgoings and agreed that we were seriously in a bad way, (mortgage payments, bills, insurance, daily living expenses were more than we had coming in) so they advised us on Tax credits and other matters.

We agreed on instalments that were just affordable.

Then It happened again, and they returned, and again were really good. One even said thats lots of people actually wait for them to come because they are more helpful than the council, which is something we definatly found.

If they do call, they cannot take any goods, they are listed, then if the agreement is defaulted by the debtor, they can apply to remove goods, but they must be of some value.

And they only checked our living room and kitchen.

If you let them know that you are keen to resolve the matter, I'm sure they will try to help.

Whizzard.

Hi Ginger66

I've been in same situation when I gave up working to look after my Mum

after she suffered a stroke. Then I go into debt.

In my panic, I agreed to pay far more than I could actually afford (which just added to the stress). Now, I know I should have followed all the free advice - ie: come to a payment arrangement which you can afford (just about).

Newlyn first wanted me to pay £150 per month (which I certainly could not afford). Then it went down to £40 per month. HOWEVER, now that I have paid it off - finally - they are still chasing me and threatening bailiffs. I asked for schedule of all my payments made - they sent me a crazy one, showing only about half of my payments. A lot of my time spent in finding my proof of payments, then sending these to them. Newlyn agreed I had paid, so - all fine for a while, then, again, they send letter saying I owe over £500 & threaten bailiffs. Again, I go thro' the whole process, 'phoning them. Very stressful as they don't believe you & say they can't stop the bailiff. So you have to persevere (as calmly as you can)... Finally, again they say "fine, you have paid". But, again they have sent me another letter saying I owe over £500 and threaten baillifs.

Now, I'll write to the head of Newlyn. I'm not sure what next step I should take to stop all this (never-ending nightmare). Any help, please...?

PS: Ginger66 - as others have said, go to the Citizens Advice Bureau asap - and only pay what you can afford.

I would write asking for full and final confirmation that you have indeed paid off the debt, photocopy all your evidence and send it to them, and say that any furhter communication from them apart form a final letter to say youve paid will be harrasment and will be reported to the police

not sure the OFT could do anything about this, but i would also copy the courts that issued the CCJ and send it off to them!

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

Kennyparkroad:- Thank you! Great to get your immediate reply & with very welcome advice (which I will now act on). As you see, I'm new to this...If only CAG was in existence during the years I looked after my mum & getting more and more into debt (& still struggling out of it). Now, I don't feel so isolated! Thanks again, Kennyparkroad - and, of course, to CAG!

sorry i did not reply to this sooner, usually im on the forum every day, but have not been able to for the past couple of days.

can you draft a letter to them, and post it on here so we can advise further?

• Haha 1

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

again please put the letter here so we can have a look.

thanks

Kenny

Kennyparkroad: I spent too much time today composing/writing my 2-page letter and just caught last mail collection- so, no time to post draft letter here. (Following your advice, I said I would send copy of my letter to the Court, which I will do).Again, thanks for your advice. Also,(very importantly!), your follow-ups pressurized me to get the letter written and sent, in quite good time....for me(!)- 3 days before threatened bailiff's visit. Will advise as to outcome.PittypatPS: I clicked "next thread" in error & found your informative letter re: Littlewoods (OFT guidelines). Very useful info .....Thanks! Trust this, and my letter, means I can sleep easy & Saturday has no unwelcome visit....

any further updates on this mate?

• 10 months later...

Hi Ginger

Newlyn are complete *****s!

first my advice then what i am doing,

1.if possible contact the council (they will say that as its with the debt collectors they wont discuss it, ignore this) ideally address your correspondence to the head or a named party. explain the situation blah blah, say the Newlyn are putting undue presure on ask the council to take the bill back and try to come to an amicable repayment schedule. They wont want to do this but they can!

2. if you raise an official complaint (at my council called a stage1, this may or may not help, my council managed to reduce the "fee's" of newlyn) it will have have to be dealt with by someone in the department.

3. Never let a bailif into your home, once they have been in they have some rights, not sure what but just DON'T. also i found that the minute they demand payment that day, or you incur a "fee" also DON'T commit to payments you cant make, again you will be charged for breaking an arrangement

4. i sought legal advice, under council tax law you can apply to county court judge, who can deem the bailif charges (only the charges) as unfair and can demand their adjustment. (not sure if this is any use, but it is an option and you can always say you'd been advised of it.

I know it is very stressful but hang in there

(if its harringey council get in touch with me,)

Newlyn stated to me that they act within Legislation, however the way they have acted in my case is scandalous and i have contacted my MP i am in the process of drafting a letter to ask her to raise a parlimentery question about the fairness of this legislation (after all it is only going to affect those who can least afford it.)

If anyone wants to start a campaign to protest i'd happily contribute!!!

My problems with Newlyn:

unpaid council tax account was sent to newlyn 29/12/07 i was first contact by bailif caqlling card 16/01/08 in that time Newlyn had charged me £378 in fee's on a £700 CTax `bill!!!

they state i had two accounts ie. two debts from separate year Ctax, this mean they can legally charge me twice for every action.

for example they state they attended my address with a van, this cost me £100 x2 one van, one man, two charges! thats x2 for everything!

i never received any of the other contacts i was charged for, when i asked( ie. no evedence of any visit) Newlyn said they dont have to prvide prove of thier services.

ass****'s

thanx for reading if you got this far

hope it helps someone, fight em but dont get yourself deeper in debt, contact your local paper(your'e not alone) contact the council, MP, anyone and everyone

M