• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hillesden Secs/Direct legal and collections

pj41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for that. I am sure there is small print. What i was after was if someone buys a debt at say 10% of its original value surely the first creditor has written off the rest, so how can the original amount still be owed to the second party?

Paul

These are a debt collection company who have purchased a debt off a City Bank credit card.

The have issued a County Court claim against me for just over £5k including costs.

As they have purchased this debt and people recon @12% max in the debt collection threads. Surely they must only be able to recover thier cost to buy the debt and not what I owed City Bank before they sold it on.

Can anyone offer any advice on the legalities of this?

Thanks

Hi pj41,

My understanding is that a company that buys debts will buy in bulk. They may pay only 12% of the total outstanding but many of them are not recoverable (debtor has gone bankrupt or died perhaps). As for collecting more than they paid, their purpose is to make a profit otherwise why bother? :mad:

Hi Silverbird9t9,

Well I have responded to the court and have 28 days to file a defence.

I've written to these people with a dpa and a request for true copy contract etc under the cosumer credit act.

If i dont do anything I loose!!!

I recon that based on what you say I will go for a counter claim for extorsion.

I aint payin debt for a dead bloke (Person).

Cheers

Pj41

Hi pj41,

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well. It's not that you are paying someone else's debt. It is more a case of the DCA company gambling on being able to collect more than they paid for the debt and therefore making a profit. I don't know what the legal implications are so please take further advice before you use this in your defence.

Good luck

Sharon

Hi Silverbird9t9,

Well I have responded to the court and have 28 days to file a defence.

I've written to these people with a dpa and a request for true copy contract etc under the cosumer credit act.

If i dont do anything I loose!!!

I recon that based on what you say I will go for a counter claim for extorsion.

I aint payin debt for a dead bloke (Person).

Cheers

Pj41

The debt collection agency are entitled to seek enforcement of the full debt - providing that they have all the correct paperwork. The price they paid for the debt has no bearing on the case - and they do not have to reveal it.

If the debt is not statute barred - which I presume will be the case as you have not indicated that it is an old debt, then your best option is to see if they have the correct paperwork.

As you have sent a Consumer Credit Act request then they should provide a copy of the original agreement within 12 days. If they don't then that is point 1 of your defence.

If you are aware of any unlawful charges in the original debt, then you would be able to defend part, or all of the claim on that basis.

If all else fails, it is vital you attend court, as they almost certainly will not - the judge is then likely to agree to a very small repayment plan. Maybe as low as £1 - £5 per month, depending on your income/expenditure.

Of course if they fail to provide a copy of the original agreement - then the court will throw out the action anyway, and the debt will be unenforceable.

Hi Sharon,

No worries i've sent it off now anyway.

Just doing battle with GE Money at the moment. (they are in chaos!!!) its great

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

These Jokers took until th 31st to cash my cheque.

Anyone know when the 12 working days start from ??

12 days is a long time lol.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Alanfromderby,

This might sound like a stupid question but, where do I lodge a default? Hillesden securities (a DCA) have not responded to my Consumer Credit request (recieved 25th May) although they cashed my cheque on the 30th May, now 14th June

I have a hearing coming up in approx two weeks do I just go to court and say Your Honour there's a copy of my letter to them, they cashed my cheque see copy bank statement, what debt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

MOD NOTE: MOVED TO ORIGINAL THREAD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alanfromderby,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

My defence was. I have done a CCA and a DPA.

No responce from hillesdens letter back from the court that it will be stayed after 28days if not heard from Hillesdens.

I rang the court last Friday. No responce from Hillesdens been stayed.

Cheers Paul

Hi Alan,

According to the chap I spoke to he suggested that they have up to six months to apply for the stay to be lifted and could start procedings again if they want to. He suggested I call every two weeks to see if there have been any developments.

You know something I don't ? LOL

Cheers

Paul

That is an excellent result then.

It looks like the Judge has seen that the paperwork is not in order, and they have been told that they must get it sorted before the case can go ahead. I would also expect that they will have to provide the documents, and an explanation to the judge, before the case can continue.

Hi Alan,

If i have understood all the valuable info' on this site, Hillesdens have defaulted and commited an offence. What do I do with that fact?

I would like to hold a "trump card" as I am fairly sure that, in time, they will be able to produce the correct documents.

I recon that in the meantime I will let sleeping dogs lie and wait and see.

Thanks again

Paul

Unfortunately the trump card is being held for you by Trading Standards. They are the ones who could take forward any prosecution. I would agree that your best option now is to just let this matter die - I will be very surprised if they can be bothered.

However, if they do try to resurrect it at any stage, then TS is your route.

• 1 year later...

Hi there First posting after meeting the lovely peeps at DLC

just had my first telephone convo with them, asking for higher payments or they will go for charges on the house, can they do this if there is no default and have paid regulary - any info gratefully recieved

• 7 months later...

Are you sure you have not defaulted? What type of debt/account is it? DLC would not of taken the account over if you orignally didn't miss payments with the creditor.

I can only assume you had a set payment plan agreed with DLC, if this is the case, then yes you have defaulted, because you defaulted the orignal repayments with the creditor.

If this is the case, then yes there is nothing stopping them going ahead with a charging order

Are you sure you have not defaulted? What type of debt/account is it? DLC would not of taken the account over if you orignally didn't miss payments with the creditor.

I can only assume you had a set payment plan agreed with DLC, if this is the case, then yes you have defaulted, because you defaulted the orignal repayments with the creditor.

If this is the case, then yes there is nothing stopping them going ahead with a charging order

Nothing stopping them apart from them getting a CCJ and then not keeping up with the payments ordered by the court!

If you have made an arrangement with the creditor and you are keeping to it, it would be very difficult for the DCA to do anything apart from make threats.

It's unlikely that they would repeat their threats in writing. They will be trying to scare you into making higher payments.

Start your own thread (best in the debt collection forum) to get some advice on how to deal with this

Nothing stopping them apart from them getting a CCJ and then not keeping up with the payments ordered by the court!

If you have made an arrangement with the creditor and you are keeping to it, it would be very difficult for the DCA to do anything apart from make threats.

It's unlikely that they would repeat their threats in writing. They will be trying to scare you into making higher payments.

I realised how old it was after posting too!

As an ex DCA member of staff - I can tell you now by law the DCA doesn't have to except any amount of payment apart from the balance clearing in full (even if you are with a third party debt advisor company) - especially if they own the property, if we thought the payment amount was unrealistic, then there was nothing stopping them from trying to obtain a CCJ and yes the courts can put an order for the debtor to pay a set a amount each month, the DCA can then apply for a variation for it to be changed to forthwith and given permission to 'apply' for a charging order and many times they are successful in doing so.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks