• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bring it on... BG V Abbey * WON *

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having spent a year paying off a managed down overdraft because the abbey wanted to charge me nearly £700 in charges in one month (4 cheques written to the same person which were cashed and failed several times in succession and subsequently charged over £100 each time, by the time the abbey got round to telling me about it they'd made themselves a tidy profit) I've decided enough is enough. The "kindly" waived one lot of the charges at the time, leaving me with around £550 as an overdraft. As anyone would, I just accepted it at the time as there being nothing I could do about it. Apparently I'm wrong on that count. My other half has just had his moneyclaim settled with HSBC for the full amount, and now I want my money back. I've been through my online banking and there are around £800 of charges going back over the past year. I've had my account with the abbey for nearly 3 years, so I'm reckoning there will be around £1500 of charges when I add it all up. I sincerely hope it goes to Small Claims so I can add interest on, that'll take it up to the £2000 mark by my guesstimations.

I'm terrible at saving money, so I'm now considering this to be a savings account I never knew I had. I've opened a new account with the Co-Op already, who I must say have been a breath of fresh air already. Just speaking to someone whose first language is English is a good start. My abbey account is now only still open so they can pay my money into it, then they can wave goodbye to yet another customer.

I've got as far as requesting statements, I'll keep you all updated on how it goes.

Abbey - £1255.12 + interest - 50% offer refused, Allocation Questionnaire returned 07/08/06 :cool:

Well, today they've taken the £10 from my account for my statements. I await their arrival with baited breath!

Abbey - £1255.12 + interest - 50% offer refused, Allocation Questionnaire returned 07/08/06 :cool:

quick question - I've been charged interest on the managed down overdraft that they set up purely so they could charge me their stupid fees, can I claim this interest back? Only amounts to about a tenner, but still...

Boatgirl,

You are able to claim for....

Bank Charges

Overdraft Interest caused by the taking of these Bank Charges

However, most people (i think) are not claiming for the additional OD interest as it is that money that is a reasonable cost for handling these 'occasions'.

IMO, i would only claim for the charges.

Neil.

just called the Abbey to chase my statements, they tell me they should be with me within 15 days of when they received my request, so that means within the next week by my reckoning. Although I'm also reckoning that they're just picking numbers out of the air. But nonetheless, this deadline has been duly noted and I will be calling back on day 15 to find out why I haven't received my statements :)

• 3 weeks later...

Amazingly did receive my statements on time, well, all but 2, but afaik there are no charges on those. Sent my initial letter a little over a week ago, LBA being sent on Thursday...

I'm just writing my LBA, is there a specific address this should be sent to? The address on my statement for contacting the Abbey is

PO Box 382

Prescot Street

London E1 8RP

• 2 weeks later...

Claim filed today for £1494.52 reference 6QZ44328. I'm crossing my fingers now :)

• 2 weeks later...

So over the weekend I received a letter from Jasmine Meynen, presumably sent before they received my court papers, or they're just ignoring the court papers so they can drag their feet and apply to set judgement aside later down the line, here's a few snippets...

"I would like to confirm, the recent Office of Fair Trading announcement was in relation to Credit Card default charges, and no overdraft default charges or to other products, such as Bank Accounts. This means our Tariff of Charges continues to apply.

Our terms are valid...

If you complaint escalates to the County Court we may close your account...

However, having carefully reviewed your situation at the time, I am satisfied the charges in question are attributable to circumstances beyond your control as opposed to negligence or willful activity on your part. As a one-off gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to waive the charges £55.00, in full and final settlement of your complain.

This is my final resolution letter...

If you wish to complain to the Financial Ombudsman..."

And a letter for me to accept the £55. Are they joking??? My claim is for nearly £1500, why in God's name would £55 be acceptable? If these charges are for "circumstances beyond my control", why not refund all of it as a "gesture of goofwill"?

Pah. Anyway, what I want to do is to write back to Ms Meynen informing her that my deadline for resolution has passed and papers have already been filed at the County Court, sent special delivery so that when they try and claim they didn't get the papers I have evidence that they were informed of the Claim details well in advance of the deadline. What do you guys reckon?

bump, can anyone help with the above question? Would it help when it comes to setting the judgement aside?

I'm hoping that should they try and get judgement set aside, I'll have a leg to stand on with my argument that it shouldn't be if I send them a letter, perhaps including a photocopy of the papers that have been filed :)

why wouldn't you be able to? I can print off a copy of the form from the website and send it to them to ensure they have all the necessary details to defend their claim :) A "gesture of goodwill" on my part, to ensure they don't end up having a judgement against them because they didn't receive the necessary papers ;) I'm just trying to avoid the age old "we didn't know about it" defence when they ignore it and I enter judgement. On the claim you can print off it says "for reference only" or something along those lines.

26th, so not long now, but I'd rather they acknowledged it so that I haven't got all the set aside nonsense to go through, it seems to be their stalling tactic of the month! :)

Well, I never got round to sending the letter yesterday, but this morning I got letter one from DLA Piper, asking for how the charges and interest were calculated. I have dutifully forwarded my spreadsheet, evidently they are in receipt of my claim, so at least I won't have the extra hassle of a set aside hearing.

Strange, my claim was acknowledged within a couple of days.

Good to see they have a standard procedure for all the claims coming in.

1st Abbey claim settled 11th August - £5248.79

2nd Abbey claim started 21st September 2006

DPA letter posted 22nd September

Mine was acknowledged today, so now they have until 9th August to enter their defence. What happens from here, what should I expect to receive next?

Once they have acknowledged, there isnt much you can do now.

With mine, they then 'filed' a defence about a week before the 28 days was due to end and I received their defence with the 50% offer a couple of days later. I have replied to their offer (yesterday) so I await the final (fingers crossed) letter now.

It seems that once they have filed a defence it all seems to go through quite smoothly.

1st Abbey claim settled 11th August - £5248.79

2nd Abbey claim started 21st September 2006

DPA letter posted 22nd September

excellent news, I reckon it can only be a few weeks now til I get my money back. I could really do with that cash at the moment, I can't wait :)

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly I got my copy of the defence and 50% offer yesterday, nearly a week before the deadline! Maybe they're starting to accept that delaying tactics aren't working and are just costing them more money. So I'm just about to write and turn it down :) Is there a template for this, or should I just say thanks but no thanks, I want it all?

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an e-mail and letter back to DLA a week ago stating that I would not accept 50% and that only 100% would be sufficient to settle my claim out of court. I also completed and returned my AQ, as my claim is under the £1500 limit for the fee. How long do they usually take to offer the full amount? They have until 23rd Aug to file the AQ.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks