• Tweets

• Thanks,    I've read the info from the link, nothing I wasn't aware of really. I wouldn't talk to a DCA anyway or anybody else over the phone for just about anything, hence the reason I refused to give them my details when they rang up. The only "conversation" I had was when they rang me and asked me to confirm my details, which I refused to do because it could have been anybody on the phone and as I said, I'd never heard of them anyway at that point. I asked them to contact me in writing, if they wished to pursue the matter, with "a copy of the Agreement" and the reply was that "there isn't one". At that point I said "we have nothing more to discuss then" and ended the call.    I'm still not happy about posting the entire details online but I'll take a look at some of the other threads to see if there's anything relative. 
    • Looks like my mistake. The new machine requires the full reg to be entered now, whereas before, only the first two numbers were required. I entered the first two numbers.
    • Reciveed a summary warrant, phoned up the council who said it was not longer anything to do with them and I'd have to speak to walker love the firm who deal with their summary warrants. I said I wouldn't have anything to do with them becasue it looks like a dodgy dca and I  I don't trust them, the debt is with the council not walker love. Anyway turns out they have no record of an arrangement to pay last years outstanding amount so whatever's gone wrong they have cancelled this years installments, even though regular payments have been made, they then took a summary warrant for last years and this years outstanding amount. I've cleared last years outstanding amount to the council and have a payment reference number, and the council say they'll make contact regarding a single person's discount  which was missed and then calculate the payments for the rest of this year. They say they sent out three letters threatening the summary warrant which were not received. Now to my question, my argument that the debt was with the council and not walker love, and as I've paid and agreed to pay what and the council say they'll contact walker love and stop the action, is this correct or will walker love still pursue? 
    • I'm trying to get my head around this. In effect, over the years you have been paying your own bill for yourself and also the bill for your neighbours usage as well – as metered. At the same time your neighbours have been paying their own water bills based on an SS charge. This means that Yorkshire water have been receiving double for your neighbours water. Now they are proposing to return to you the portion which which they now say represents the amount of water used by a neighbour. I think it would be interesting to talk to your neighbours and see if you can get copies of their bills over the years. Our Yorkshire water proposing to return to you the same amount of money that they charge your neighbours? Even if your neighbours don't have all of their bills to hand, maybe they've got one or two bills available and if it looks as if there is a discrepancy then maybe your neighbours would be kind enough to send the water company and SAR as well. I don't know if I have suggested that you read our customer services guide – but if I haven't then you should do so and implement the advice there in case you have any telephone dealings with the auto company. You haven't said whether you want to have a metered supply or to have an SS charge. Please let us know because it makes a big difference to the final solution you will be looking for. If you want to metered supply then I think you are absolutely entitled to insist on it and you are entitled to insist that Yorkshire water and if this is in your garden, they should then pay for any repairs.
    • Not sure if this is the correct forum, so I apologise in advance.   So, the situation I am currently in.. is that a family member opened a Littlewoods account in my name, at the address I used to live at (Family home). The account was opened in November 2018, goods were obtained and then payments were missed. I usually check my credit report and score every month, but (somewhat foolishly) I didn't bother checking for a few months as my score remained the same. I didn't notice this account on my report until several months after it was opened. I obtained statutory credit reports and went through everything. I then filed this issue with Action Fraud.   I contacted Littlewoods and explained the situation to the fraud team, re-iterating the fact that an account was opened at an address I had not lived at for almost two and a half years at the point that this account was opened, not to mention the account is under a 'Mrs', when I am male. They proceeded to tell me that it was a civil matter and not one for them to deal with. I told them that the amount owed wasn't the issue, but rather the adverse effect it was having on my credit score as I was considering applying for a mortgage soon. They simply doubled down on their 'civil matter' point and hung up on me.    I got in touch with Experian, who added a notice of correction to the entry on my report and provided a template for me to send off to Shop Direct. I sent this letter off and received zero response. The family member had started to make payments after I threatened reporting this to the relevant people, but the account, and the several months of missed payments, still remain as a black mark on my credit file. I will add that I got a CIFAS marker placed on my account to try and prevent this sort of thing from happening again in the future.   I have also filed this issue with the Financial Ombudsman. I guess I am posting this because I am not quite sure where to go next or what my next actions should be to get this removed from my credit report. It is incredibly disappointing that a family member would do this to me, but it is also extremely annoying that Littlewoods themselves have been very unhelpful in trying to rectify this issue that has occurred at such a point in my life when I am considering applying for a mortgage. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.
  • Our picks

boatgirl

Bring it on... BG V Abbey * WON *

Having spent a year paying off a managed down overdraft because the abbey wanted to charge me nearly £700 in charges in one month (4 cheques written to the same person which were cashed and failed several times in succession and subsequently charged over £100 each time, by the time the abbey got round to telling me about it they'd made themselves a tidy profit) I've decided enough is enough. The "kindly" waived one lot of the charges at the time, leaving me with around £550 as an overdraft. As anyone would, I just accepted it at the time as there being nothing I could do about it. Apparently I'm wrong on that count. My other half has just had his moneyclaim settled with HSBC for the full amount, and now I want my money back. I've been through my online banking and there are around £800 of charges going back over the past year. I've had my account with the abbey for nearly 3 years, so I'm reckoning there will be around £1500 of charges when I add it all up. I sincerely hope it goes to Small Claims so I can add interest on, that'll take it up to the £2000 mark by my guesstimations.

I'm terrible at saving money, so I'm now considering this to be a savings account I never knew I had. I've opened a new account with the Co-Op already, who I must say have been a breath of fresh air already. Just speaking to someone whose first language is English is a good start. My abbey account is now only still open so they can pay my money into it, then they can wave goodbye to yet another customer.

I've got as far as requesting statements, I'll keep you all updated on how it goes.

Abbey - £1255.12 + interest - 50% offer refused, Allocation Questionnaire returned 07/08/06 :cool:

Good Luck BG.

Hope it all goes smoothly.

Neil.

Well, today they've taken the £10 from my account for my statements. I await their arrival with baited breath!

Abbey - £1255.12 + interest - 50% offer refused, Allocation Questionnaire returned 07/08/06 :cool:

quick question - I've been charged interest on the managed down overdraft that they set up purely so they could charge me their stupid fees, can I claim this interest back? Only amounts to about a tenner, but still...

Boatgirl,

You are able to claim for....

Bank Charges

Overdraft Interest caused by the taking of these Bank Charges

However, most people (i think) are not claiming for the additional OD interest as it is that money that is a reasonable cost for handling these 'occasions'.

IMO, i would only claim for the charges.

Neil.

just called the Abbey to chase my statements, they tell me they should be with me within 15 days of when they received my request, so that means within the next week by my reckoning. Although I'm also reckoning that they're just picking numbers out of the air. But nonetheless, this deadline has been duly noted and I will be calling back on day 15 to find out why I haven't received my statements :)

Amazingly did receive my statements on time, well, all but 2, but afaik there are no charges on those. Sent my initial letter a little over a week ago, LBA being sent on Thursday...

I'm just writing my LBA, is there a specific address this should be sent to? The address on my statement for contacting the Abbey is

PO Box 382

Prescot Street

London E1 8RP

Claim filed today for £1494.52 reference 6QZ44328. I'm crossing my fingers now :)

So over the weekend I received a letter from Jasmine Meynen, presumably sent before they received my court papers, or they're just ignoring the court papers so they can drag their feet and apply to set judgement aside later down the line, here's a few snippets...

"I would like to confirm, the recent Office of Fair Trading announcement was in relation to Credit Card default charges, and no overdraft default charges or to other products, such as Bank Accounts. This means our Tariff of Charges continues to apply.

Our terms are valid...

If you complaint escalates to the County Court we may close your account...

However, having carefully reviewed your situation at the time, I am satisfied the charges in question are attributable to circumstances beyond your control as opposed to negligence or willful activity on your part. As a one-off gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to waive the charges £55.00, in full and final settlement of your complain.

This is my final resolution letter...

If you wish to complain to the Financial Ombudsman..."

And a letter for me to accept the £55. Are they joking??? My claim is for nearly £1500, why in God's name would £55 be acceptable? If these charges are for "circumstances beyond my control", why not refund all of it as a "gesture of goofwill"?

Pah. Anyway, what I want to do is to write back to Ms Meynen informing her that my deadline for resolution has passed and papers have already been filed at the County Court, sent special delivery so that when they try and claim they didn't get the papers I have evidence that they were informed of the Claim details well in advance of the deadline. What do you guys reckon?

bump, can anyone help with the above question? Would it help when it comes to setting the judgement aside?

I'm hoping that should they try and get judgement set aside, I'll have a leg to stand on with my argument that it shouldn't be if I send them a letter, perhaps including a photocopy of the papers that have been filed :)

why wouldn't you be able to? I can print off a copy of the form from the website and send it to them to ensure they have all the necessary details to defend their claim :) A "gesture of goodwill" on my part, to ensure they don't end up having a judgement against them because they didn't receive the necessary papers ;) I'm just trying to avoid the age old "we didn't know about it" defence when they ignore it and I enter judgement. On the claim you can print off it says "for reference only" or something along those lines.

Hi BG, aren't your 14 days up now then? Can't you apply for a judgement?

26th, so not long now, but I'd rather they acknowledged it so that I haven't got all the set aside nonsense to go through, it seems to be their stalling tactic of the month! :)

True, it does, I filed my N1 today at my local court so I am expecting/preparing for the worst anyway:rolleyes:

Well, I never got round to sending the letter yesterday, but this morning I got letter one from DLA Piper, asking for how the charges and interest were calculated. I have dutifully forwarded my spreadsheet, evidently they are in receipt of my claim, so at least I won't have the extra hassle of a set aside hearing.

Strange, my claim was acknowledged within a couple of days.

Good to see they have a standard procedure for all the claims coming in.

1st Abbey claim settled 11th August - £5248.79

2nd Abbey claim started 21st September 2006

DPA letter posted 22nd September

Mine was acknowledged today, so now they have until 9th August to enter their defence. What happens from here, what should I expect to receive next?

Sounds like you sit and wait! I am sure someone will come and take a look for you. Hopefully it wont be too long now before you get your money back.:)

Once they have acknowledged, there isnt much you can do now.

With mine, they then 'filed' a defence about a week before the 28 days was due to end and I received their defence with the 50% offer a couple of days later. I have replied to their offer (yesterday) so I await the final (fingers crossed) letter now.

It seems that once they have filed a defence it all seems to go through quite smoothly.

1st Abbey claim settled 11th August - £5248.79

2nd Abbey claim started 21st September 2006

DPA letter posted 22nd September

excellent news, I reckon it can only be a few weeks now til I get my money back. I could really do with that cash at the moment, I can't wait :)

Surprisingly I got my copy of the defence and 50% offer yesterday, nearly a week before the deadline! Maybe they're starting to accept that delaying tactics aren't working and are just costing them more money. So I'm just about to write and turn it down :) Is there a template for this, or should I just say thanks but no thanks, I want it all?

OOoooo its getting close now for you BG, Abbey have acknowledged my claim in court, awaiting defence/judgement now. Fingers crossed for you :-)

I sent an e-mail and letter back to DLA a week ago stating that I would not accept 50% and that only 100% would be sufficient to settle my claim out of court. I also completed and returned my AQ, as my claim is under the £1500 limit for the fee. How long do they usually take to offer the full amount? They have until 23rd Aug to file the AQ.