Car towed - wheels damaged...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My car was towed away (parked in a Permit bay - my mistake - didn't see the signs) on Thursday night. I collected the car and had a quick look round for bodywork damage but didn't see anything. I didn't sign anything to say that I had inspected the car at the time though, just paid the release fee and collected the car.

Well, I washed the car for the first time this morning and two of the wheels have been fairly badly damaged. The car is only 3 weeks old, so it is immaculate in every sense at the moment, except for two large gouges/scratches in the wheel finish now!

I have taken pictures, and have the address for the Parking Services department of the council (Hackney) in question.

Do I stand a good chance of recovering the cost of replacing/repairing the wheels, since I didn't point out the damage at time of collection?

What would be the best procedure to follow to achieve the best result? A simple letter with photos and offer a time for resolution, otherwise persue with court action? Should I obtain a quote for a new wheel(s) and/or refurbishment to attach with my first letter?

NatWest latest: Charges settled in full + interest - 04/12/06

MBNA latest: Charges settled in full! - 20/11/06

In a court case it will be down to who the judge believes based on the evidence. Its reasonable to assume that the car was purchased in 100% mint (you say 3 weeks ago and new). If you give an oath statement I would say you have good chance of the court accepting your statement.

It would help your case if the original PCN is inavalid. Please scan and post the PCN.

All i can say is good luck, because i doubt you can prove it.

This would be a civil matter and the burden of proof is "on the balance of probabilities", not "beyond reasonable doubt". I suggest that on a car this new, the court would accept that the wheels were damaged by the removal of the vehicle.

If you have seen the lifts they use for removing vehicle you will see why the wheels get damaged. The tension is pulling the gear inwards against the wheels to secure lifting.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Is the damage to one wheel on each side of the car, or both on one side? If the damage is to both of the nearside wheels then it will be a lttle more difficult to argue. The wheel that is most commonly damaged is the front nearside one where drivers 'kerb' the wheel whilst parking - it is the 1st wheel I look at when assessing a vehicle.

If the damage is to both front wheels or both rear wheels then I would suggest that it would be easier to prove the case I suspect, especially if the damage was consistent.

I would ask the Recovery Company to bring the vehicle that towed the vehicle away along to any Hearing - I assume they keep those records. If not then I would question their Duty of Care policy. This would ascertain how the damage was likely to have been caused.

Guest Herbie

Any action for damages needs to be against the compant that towed away the vehicle.

I would advise that you take the car back to the garage that you purchased it from and ask them to provide an estimate for the damage done.

I would then write a letter before action to the removal company and copy it to the local authority that issued the ticket, and ask for their response in 14 days. The removal company should refer this matter to their insurance company who will then have to deal with this.