• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Scotland-what do i do if claims £750+

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was basically wondering if anyone has had any experience of the Royal Bank of Scotland. also, i saw that in Scotland you can only claim for 5 years, is it true that the maximum you can claim in the small claims court is £750 here (Scotland). I havent started the ball rolling yet but would expect my charges to have exceeded the said amount. Any advice on how to handle it i.e if the small claims isnt viable would be greatly appreciated.Cheers, Pete

Guest louis wu

Hi frost.

To be honest, I have no idea, but hopefully these links will be useful.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31575-important-things-you-really.html?garpg=3

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/helpful-external-links/441-scottish-civil-procedure-some.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/11123-scottish-procedure.html

I'm sorry I cant be of any practicle help, but I wish you the best of luck, and hope I've pointed you in the right direction.

Louis

• 1 month later...

Just been on the FOS website

If a consumer brings their complaint about bank charges to the ombudsman service – and the bank won’t resolve the complaint by waiving the charges as a goodwill gesture – our job is to settle the argument using our official powers.

This might involve a formal investigation by the ombudsman into the legal and financial issues involved. That would mean our seeking detailed information from the banks about their legal arguments.

I also read a lot of scottish threads for claims over £1500 and the advice by MODS Robertx and Caro seem to suggest that the fso would be the right route to go for larger claims in Scotland, As I am now past the stage where I have to lodge papers at court I would appriciate any advice from Scottish Mods on the FOS Route.

Also read in the Sunday papers that the FSO have been 100% succesfull in claiming back all the charges, I feel that this may even be a quicker less complicated route to go down for larger claims in Scotland.

Any advice please at this stage would be appreciated.

cheers

JD

hi mate, i'm at exactly the same stage as yourself I reckon.

Does anyone have a copy of the text they used in the FOS complaint form?

I've been trying to find the right words to put down, but not sure what to say on it.

Thanks

I think you want to PM a moderator and move this to the Scotland subforum. That way you'll get a lot more input.

P.S. there are lots of ongoing discussions on this in the Scotland subforum.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi all in regards to claiming over 750 it is advisable to go through the FOS to avoid any potential pitfalls which are discussed in detail on other threads, as for the wording of the complaint form it is really easy to follow AND if in any doubt as to this ask away.

There will be a fair amount of time involved for them to complete the complaint but remember you MUST have the final say on your complaint from the bank before you go through the FOS.

The banks are allowed up to 8 weeks to respond and you may need to wait this time before getting a response.

• Haha 1

Claims over £750 but under £1500 are done with a Summary Cause as aposed to a Small Claim. Same proceedure though, different form.

Serve your papers on your local branch by recorded deliver, I was told by the Sheriff Clerk to use a Sheriff or a Solocitor to serve them but I was advised by a solicitor to send them through the mail recorded.

Summary Cause

If your claim is more that £1500 then I advise to split it, that's what we are doing.

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

Splitting of course runs the risk of having subsequent claims thrown out for abuse of process. Research your court first if you feel you have no choice but to follow this route.

But FOS is fairly straightforward. They will want you to have exhausted the bank's complaints procedure first though. ie either 8 week since you first registered your complaint, or to have had a final response in writing from the bank.

FOS route is simply a case of downloading the complaint form, and send it back with supporting documentation. Schedule of charges, all letters etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused now!!

I have had letter from abbey (8 weeks after my initial complaint) saying as a gesture of good will they have given me £120 back (claiming with interest £800) so have said I will not accept this as full and final settlement etc. So no I am unsure what to do because I thought I should just take court action but some posts above say complain to FOS. I also want to check because I have received back £120 the amount I still have to claim is under the £750 max for small claims court so can I now do a small claims court or does the amount they have already paid me get taken into account?

Im just a bit mixed up by all the legal stuff.

Any help much appreciated.

Julie x

Just looked on FOS and says it can settle most claims within 6-9 months. I definitely can't and don't want to wait that long for my money back so think I will just do the small claims route instead. Will amend my schedule of charges taking out £120 worth (that they have refunded me) and keep it below the £750. Does this sound OK?

I think it sounds like the right thing to do you can also ask at court stage for the judge to look at awarding you time spent preparing your case and get your additional costs back that way

Good luck JD