Consumer revolt: is there an alternative to the banks?

sohoscribbler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, many on here have watched the BBC documentary about Barclays. The bank itself has an attitude to customer service that sucks. Yet I expect similar tales would apply to most or all big banks and building societies in the UK.

Yet these days it is almost impossible to function in the UK without a bank or building society account. Salary and benefits payments normally require a bank transfer. Immigrants can rarely find legal work without having a bank account.

There is no competition.

Or is there?

Is there an alternative?

Can we refuse to open a bank account?

Or start another way?

I don't know but would love to hear suggestions.

I am in a credit union through my work, and they have now started letting members open a current account which offers all the facilities a high street bank does, including a debit card, I have opened my account with them.

Maybe you could ask your local credit union if they offer current accounts.

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 02/01/07

Statements received - 15/01/07

Prelim sent - 24/01/07

LBA sent - 15/02/07

Claim filed in court - 20/03/07

Court date received for 26th June - 01/06/07

Received offer for full & final settlement from Cobbetts - 22/06/07:D :D

Capital One

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 26/06/07

Statements received - 03/07/07

Prelim letter sent - 17/07/07

Letter received - 07/08/07 - WON!!:grin:

I was thinking the same thing.

"What else can we do!"

It would appear that we have to use a bank... therefore who or what is the best bank / account?

I have come to the conclusion that all banks are bad... but who is the best bad bank (if you know what I mean)

Guest Alison82

All it need is for one bank to take the moral high ground and be fair and put their customers first (everyone will want to go there) then all banks will follow suit. Well hopefully!

What about the post office??? don't know too much about these accounts though!

They're closing most of those!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

OK, many on here have watched the BBC documentary about Barclays. The bank itself has an attitude to customer service that sucks. Yet I expect similar tales would apply to most or all big banks and building societies in the UK.

Yet these days it is almost impossible to function in the UK without a bank or building society account. Salary and benefits payments normally require a bank transfer. Immigrants can rarely find legal work without having a bank account.

There is no competition.

Or is there?

Is there an alternative?

Can we refuse to open a bank account?

Or start another way?

I don't know but would love to hear suggestions.

I'll start a bank and look after everyones money for them :D

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!