Barclays - charges should be £1.50 - Whistleblower revelations

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi cg,

This is a decision only you can make.

You've got to way up how much the charges are against the offer.

How much aggro they've caused you when the charges where being takne - with how much the money they've offered will better your current circumstances.

If there is interest added to your claim, in theory, it may hard to persuade a judge to enforce a claim if the offer made is almost all of the charges, and you're just pushing an interest matter!

Your choice cg, whichever you chose, it's gotta be right for your present situation!

Good luck either way!

• Haha 1

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice Perseus. I think I should continue on with the claim. There is no interest added at this point and I'm still paying back the overdraft so £300 I fail to claim back is an additional £300 I have to find to pay back Barclays. What would be the next step if I continue with my claim.

Many thanks Perseus

You're welcme, and thanks for the click!

You could write, accepting (unconditionally) the offer as a part payment only, but you still wish to pursue the balance of your charges (in court if necessary), and ask them to reconsider their offer. Expecially as you have only asked for charges only to be refunded at this stage, and that should this case go to court, you will be seeking s69 interest at 8% (this only increases the value of your claim by £104, but stil!!!) plus they will also incurr legal costs for defence, plus court costs!

If they reply and state that the offer is it, full and final - then it's up to you should you take the offer, or pursue it in court.

As you say - if its £300 short of just your charges, then there's another £400 plus owing!

Give them 14 days as a final letter before county court action, and see if they budge. I wouldn't hold out much hope to be honest, but stranger things have happened.

Don't forget - send any letters recorded/special d!

If you'd like, post up your intended letter, and I'm sure some fine peeps here will offer advice about wording etc.

good luck!

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

Thanks again Perseus

I'll set out a response and post it for comment. As you say stranger things have happened. Ultimately I've decided i have no issue taking this to court action if necessary. Bring it on

Thanks

cg266

• 3 weeks later...
I think the 9p was what it costs in computer operation terms. You would have to add to that stationary, postage costs, and some staff costs. I think £1.50 to £2 is more like it.

Anyway here's the bit form the program last night

YouTube - Whistleblower: Barclays Bank - Penalty Charges

I work in debt recovery and routinely send bills to customers. I work in a low-tech office.

We release letters to the printers, envelope the letters and post them. I'd say the total cost of this is around 35p (1st class).

These banks have hi-tech software, printers and enveloping machines (and 2nd class post!).

I'm not sure what the 'staff costs' are. Unless they add a charge up front for customers quering the bank charge, which is, in itself, wrong.

I would, of course, settle for an outcome at the OFT vs Banks hearing of £1.50!!!:):):)

• 1 year later...

I have a question that I hope someone can answer and as this my first post I have probably posted the question in the wrong place.

Can business's reclaim unfair bank charges? I have a friend who has been charged 13k in total by Barclays over the last three years.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks